Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:41 am 
<!-- Major //-->

nordwindranger wrote:
well it sounds like your doing pretty good then. sorry about the knee jerk reaction (do they have that phrase where your from? I think you mentioned that the design doc was written in czech).

If that's what you do when doctor hits you in the knee (at least that's what the dictionary told me)..I suppose we call it "reflex" in czech :-)

Well, our projects will overlap partially when I'll be making the engine for 3D battles (which unfortunately is the last thing on my to-do list - strategy parts and reinventing the wheel first). I'm sure I'll have a lot to ask you by then.

So far it looks like Terra will turn out into modders heaven...in-game editors for almost anything and so on. I want more free time, damn :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:02 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

heh yeah thats my problem to, not enough time.

"knee jerk reaction" is american slang. it means a automatic response that wasn't really thought out. It comes from the idea that when you tap your knee your leg automatically jerks out, you didn't really think about doing it.

good luck on the game. I've got a feeling that I'm going to be without internet all summer, but I'll be back in september

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Some news
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:44 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Well, here are some news about my current progress and other stuff.

First, there probably won't be any interactive demo by the end of August, maybe September (but stay with me, don't hang up...)

Second, website of Terra Reconstructed is up (yay!) so check it out :wink: The address is <a href="http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.net">terrastrategy.sourceforge.net</a>. It contains short summary of my current progress and one nice screenshot.

Third, if anyone tried to check out Terra's SVN repository, he (or she) probably found out, that it's very outdated and incomplete. That's right, as I mentioned on the web, changes in the code are so frequent and drastic that it is useless to commit anything now.

And finally...that little screenshot. All I have so far is bunch of loaders and one code to bind them all (ehh). So I managed to render my spaceship model and put some texture/normal map on it to show what the engne is capable of :D

Ok, that's all (I hope). It's almost 5am here, I should finally go to bed :)

I almost forgot I wrote some info about the storyline and game factions. It's on the website now and I will put it to the design doc. tomorrow.

Edit: Typos, typos...

Last edited by Moribundus on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Some news
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:07 am 
<!-- Warlord -->

Location: Death Stars are out at night, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.
Moribundus wrote:
Second, website of Terra Reconstructed is up (yay!) so check it out :wink: The address is <a href="http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.ent">terrastrategy.sourceforge.net</a>. It contains short summary of my current prograss and one nice screenshot.

Unfortunately, you're link is corrupt :( (a typo), use this http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.net :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:35 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

looking good so far.
:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: And another post here...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:06 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Here's the latest news. I've rebuilt the Terra's website using Drupal as a CMS framework. So now it features also RSS feeds if anyone is interested. So check it out :wink:

Btw. the address remains the same http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

When will the forums be up? All I have been able to do there is comment on one of your announcements...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 am 
<!-- Corporal //-->

I would love to see this project succeed. I love Rebellion, but really wish it could be updated (especially the tactical environment). Best wishes to the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:57 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Any modeling you need done? I now know how to convert into DirectX using Blender. Just holler and I will get working on a model(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:17 am 
<!-- Major //-->

JanDeis wrote:
When will the forums be up? All I have been able to do there is comment on one of your announcements...

Oh my, I forgot to turn them on :) It should be fixed now. However if you discover any errors like being able to edit someone else's post or not being able to post at all, please let me know.

JanDeis wrote:
Any modeling you need done? I now know how to convert into DirectX using Blender. Just holler and I will get working on a model(s).

I'll let you know :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:11 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

It all seems... very ambitious still at the moment. I'll have to see what your GUI ends up looking like before I get a good understanding of how this'll all handle.

Btw. Do you have any plans on number of star systems etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Defender_16 wrote:
Btw. Do you have any plans on number of star systems etc?

Lots :) Few hundred (five, four?). It feels better if there's always space to expand (and hide in). Not all have to be inhabited of course :) I'd like to switch from 2D view into fully 3D rotatable and zoomable "hologlobe" of galaxy. However I'm not sure if this will be easy enough for the player to orientate himself in, even with various visualization tools (like in Rebellion - territory/industry/fleets/etc.) And I'm not sure how well will this fit into SW settings, since most games and materials showed the galaxy flattened, but I'd like to at least give it a try.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

nordwindranger wrote:
I think you might run into a lot of the same logical problems that I've gone through with my game so far (like organization of units/hyperspace jumps).

Me being the coder I am... I cannot help but offer a solution. Please forgive me, this is a bad habit :P

Each ship has a speed attached to it as a variable. To decide how long a fleet will take, upon moving the fleet, you run an loop that checks the speed variable of each ship and finds the slowest speed. Then the speed of the fleet is set to that speed.

And organization? You can't put them inside of an array? o.o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Terra Reconstructed
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 am 
<!-- Corporal //-->

Hey Moribundus,

I jest went through your site and Source Forge stuff.

Just wanted to say nice work :-) I love the detail you have gone into. It does seem ambitious indeed. Good to see a project start documentation about what it intends to achieve!

Might be worth having it written somewhere prominent what language you are using and any other tools (components, IDE, etc) as it will help people who might join you. It may have been there, but I didn't see it.

That said, A+ over all :-)

Post subject: Re: Terra Reconstructed
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:25 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Hey, thanks :)

Hmm, did you check sourceforge.net project page? If you click on the "Project" link on the main page, it will take you to sourceforge page, where you can access all the source code (Code->SVN Browse) and the right part of that page contains technical details (operating systems, languages, etc.)

A brief overview: Terra's core (Reconstructor engine) is written entirely in C++ and contains embedded Lua interpreter, which will be used nearly for all game logic. Given the nature of both languages, Terra is IDE independent (I'm currently coding in KDevelop and Visual Studio 2008 Professional). Also CMake is used to manage and generate both unix makefiles and VS solutions. More detailed info on building Terra is on forums in the Technical problems section.

But it still needs to be more visible if no one was able to found it so far :( I will see what I can do.

Edit: Terra's website just got a revamped! I also created a "how to help" info block on the main page. Let me know if it's still missing something.