Terra Reconstructed

Moribundus

It all seems... very ambitious still at the moment. I'll have to see what your GUI ends up looking like before I get a good understanding of how this'll all handle.

Btw. Do you have any plans on number of star systems etc?

Btw. Do you have any plans on number of star systems etc?

Lots :) Few hundred (five, four?). It feels better if there's always space to expand (and hide in). Not all have to be inhabited of course :) I'd like to switch from 2D view into fully 3D rotatable and zoomable "hologlobe" of galaxy. However I'm not sure if this will be easy enough for the player to orientate himself in, even with various visualization tools (like in Rebellion - territory/industry/fleets/etc.) And I'm not sure how well will this fit into SW settings, since most games and materials showed the galaxy flattened, but I'd like to at least give it a try.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

• 5 months later...
I think you might run into a lot of the same logical problems that I've gone through with my game so far (like organization of units/hyperspace jumps).

Me being the coder I am... I cannot help but offer a solution. Please forgive me, this is a bad habit :P

Each ship has a speed attached to it as a variable. To decide how long a fleet will take, upon moving the fleet, you run an loop that checks the speed variable of each ship and finds the slowest speed. Then the speed of the fleet is set to that speed.

And organization? You can't put them inside of an array? o.o

Hey Moribundus,

I jest went through your site and Source Forge stuff.

Just wanted to say nice work :-) I love the detail you have gone into. It does seem ambitious indeed. Good to see a project start documentation about what it intends to achieve!

Might be worth having it written somewhere prominent what language you are using and any other tools (components, IDE, etc) as it will help people who might join you. It may have been there, but I didn't see it.

That said, A+ over all :-)

Hey, thanks :)

Hmm, did you check sourceforge.net project page? If you click on the "Project" link on the main page, it will take you to sourceforge page, where you can access all the source code (Code->SVN Browse) and the right part of that page contains technical details (operating systems, languages, etc.)

A brief overview: Terra's core (Reconstructor engine) is written entirely in C++ and contains embedded Lua interpreter, which will be used nearly for all game logic. Given the nature of both languages, Terra is IDE independent (I'm currently coding in KDevelop and Visual Studio 2008 Professional). Also CMake is used to manage and generate both unix makefiles and VS solutions. More detailed info on building Terra is on forums in the Technical problems section.

But it still needs to be more visible if no one was able to found it so far :( I will see what I can do.

Edit: Terra's website just got a revamped! I also created a "how to help" info block on the main page. Let me know if it's still missing something.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

I think you might run into a lot of the same logical problems that I've gone through with my game so far (like organization of units/hyperspace jumps).

Me being the coder I am... I cannot help but offer a solution. Please forgive me, this is a bad habit :P

Each ship has a speed attached to it as a variable. To decide how long a fleet will take, upon moving the fleet, you run an loop that checks the speed variable of each ship and finds the slowest speed. Then the speed of the fleet is set to that speed.

And organization? You can't put them inside of an array? o.o

I'm sorry but Nordwind has stopped working on his SW project some time ago (AFAIK he now works on WW2 RTS/RPG). As far as Terra is concerned, I'm still working on the renderer (how to combine deferred renderer with undeferred bits and picture-in-picture effect) and things like fleet management will have to wait for now :)

And did I mention that Terra got website revamped (in case someone missed the edit to my last post)?

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Hey, thanks :)
Credit where credit is due my friend!

Hmm, did you check sourceforge.net project page? If you click on the "Project" link on the main page, it will take you to sourceforge page, where you can access all the source code (Code->SVN Browse) and the right part of that page contains technical details (operating systems, languages, etc.)

Heh, trust me to have missed the obvious :-)

A brief overview: Terra's core (Reconstructor engine) is written entirely in C++ and contains embedded Lua interpreter, which will be used nearly for all game logic. Given the nature of both languages, Terra is IDE independent (I'm currently coding in KDevelop and Visual Studio 2008 Professional). Also CMake is used to manage and generate both unix makefiles and VS solutions. More detailed info on building Terra is on forums in the Technical problems section.

Sweet. My C++ is almost as rusty as my Java but principles are the same between languages (syntax aside) so it normally doesn't take long to cratch up.

My issue is always the graphics. I simply suck at them. I can do functional development and UI's but suck at graphical code and it stops me in my tracks every time. I guess that is what you get from working in Database system development! While I think about it, the fact that XNA studio won't compile inside VM's is infuriating too.

There are other things that make a game aside from graphics. Take networking for example, it is the next most important thing to be done (it makes game testing and balancing possible without having to write AI routines). Or an audio module. I have some ideas for both, but unfortunately I don't have the time to flesh them out (graphics come first). So if graphics programming isn't your cup of coffee, you can look at one of these instead (I was thinking about using boost::asio for networking and OpenAL for sound) ;)

Hmm, that reminds me that I should probably write some roadmap and post it somewhere on the web :)

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

You code monkeys might want to figure out why the original game uses .bmp image files, which like Dreadnaughts are slow and heavy, and look crap; when .jpgs are compressed and don't have to look crap

Just a passing leaf of a thought..

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

You code monkeys might want to figure out why the original game uses .bmp image files, which like Dreadnaughts are slow and heavy, and look crap; when .jpgs are compressed and don't have to look crap

It's because Win32API doesn't support anything better 8O . It seems that creators of Rebellion were quite an adventurous sort and decided to use WinAPI to it's "full" potential, probably to save them some work (resource loading and management for free). However had they decided to use some in-house tools for this task, modding woud have been probably even more difficult. Btw. jpegs aren't much better since you always lose image information due to the compression.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

No password is required for checkout. It is probably asking for your sourceforge.net username/password, but it really shouldn't (only commits are password protected). I assume TortoiseSVN I asking for it. Have you tried ignoring it or giving it an empty name/pass?

I have tweaked the CSS a bit to make the sections more distinctive (in case you missed something :)) and updated the build guide.

Btw. major part of the renderer is finished, I'll try to hunt down as many bugs as possible and then make a smal demo :mrgreen:

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

• 4 weeks later...

I have just "released" a first preview of Terra's engine. It basically shows lots of models with large number of dynamic lights (81K triangles and 64 lights, per-pixel lighting with normal mapping) and demonstrates the capabilities of the scripting framework.

Check out Terra's web for more info (and for the demo), the link is in my sig.

Screenshots:

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmoracek/terra/screens/snapshot17-thumb.jpg

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmoracek/terra/screens/snapshot19-thumb.jpg

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmoracek/terra/screens/snapshot21-thumb.jpg

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Check out Terra's web for more info (and for the demo), the link is in my sig.

The screen shots look spectacular; I assume you're still working on the capital ships :P Hopefully I'll get some time to check out your link soon :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 2 months later...
I hope i don't get banished by a mod for raiseing a thread from the dead here or anything. But i believe i see an attempt a makeing a rebellion 2 here. Is it still alive?

Hey, it's not dead, it's alive and well :-)

I'm currently working on in-game GUIs and font rendering. I hope to achieve something similar to GUIs seen in Morrowind, HL2 or Quake 4. I have nice XML based skinning with the deafult skin based on Qt4 theme called Skulpture (this skin is intended to be used for various configurations menus, like in half life).

Right now I'm trying to get font rendering to work (with unicode support, of course) and to write implement some simple pseudo HTML text formating (imagine game encyclopaedia with hyperlinks and cross-references). I'll post some screenshots when I have something more to show :wink:

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Ic. And how many people do you have working on the project exsactly?

I'm afraid i can't help in terms of technical stuff. I'm not a coder nor am I a modeler. Though i am pretty good at writeing stuff.

I can however be of use in terms of background info, pluss random useful information, and helpful advice. I've been around durring the construction of a few total conversions, mods and games made from the ground up. So i might be able to help out outside of programming and modeling.

So far it's only me, but I'm still working on the fundamental parts of the engine. Basically features are added/changed on daily basis, so it's not the most stable development environment for more people :-)

Any help is welcome, though. If you want to write stuff then Terra's background story needs some work (it was created in a hurry and still drags the "Jedis" along). Game mechanics probably also need a rethink to be a little simpler and to make more sense (especially colonies and structures). I can give you more info, if you're interested. And if you didn't, go check out Terra's site (link's in my sig).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Well, in the early stages i can't really do much. I'm sort of a magical being that randomly apears when needed, you know. lol.

I'm gonna take a look, maybe i can do somthing helpful when i get an idea of what you're up to.

• 2 months later...

Just to let you guys know this project is still alive, even though I have very little free time. I'm working on my thesis and I also have some difficult courses I can't skip :( Computability, complexity, algebra and other fun stuff. If all goes right, I'll get my degree this semester and could move onto more interesting stuff (like high-level algebra, etc. :lol: )

This is the last screenshot of my font rendering system. Supports pseudo-html formatting, utf8, rendering from ttf fonts and other stuff. The background is drawn using a pixmap gui renderer (all data driven).

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xmoracek/terra/screens/fonts7.png

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed