Mechanics - inside Rebellion

vakundok

Does anybody have the cajones to be the Rebels and try this game? :twisted:(Look at the number of Death Stars :wink: This is an actual screenshot and NOT photoshopped)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3264/impfleetmodjv3.jpg

Please note the maintenace points: -169238! This fleet of 256 Death Stars is about to tear itself apart :lol:

I've editied the CMUNEFTB.DAT file. I'll have to work on some other files to make sure there is maintenace to support them :wink: As long as they "fly" together as a fleet everything is OK, but ... as soon as they "split" into different fleets, they can NOT come together again (sorta like a "grandfather clause"). I can also have a DS start for the Rebels at Yavin. Isn't that a hoot! :lol:

EDIT: All of the DS's in the fleet must stay together AND stay at Coruscant. If you try to move more than 1 to another system you get the warning message from the droid about 2 Death Stars can't blah, blah, blah ... but you can move them off system individually :D

Edited by DarthTex
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... thats pretty crazy... I'm more amazed you sat down and figured that out... if you ever find a way to boost the game resolution let me know 8)

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Care to scribble a tutorial Tex how you accomplished this bit of editing? I didn't really follow your previus explaination! :)

I'm amazed the game simply didn't crash. 8O

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Looking at the hex info Tex posted I think I already know the answer to the question I'm about to ask.

However I can't leave it unasked.

Does anyone think that it may be possible to increase the number of types of Starfighters that can be built in the game. I know it would mean alterning the GUI because of the fighters wanting to be grouped into their diffrient types, but is it possible?

And for that matter would it possible to add more ship types despite the editor difficulties that would cause?

@Def: Of course you know the answer is "No" (altogether now, "we need to have the source code to do this"). Unless in a file, hidden away somewhere there is a "data field" that states the number of fighters and capital ships that can be modified, I don't think it's possible. You could probably "add" data to the fighter and capital ship files, but the game will either crash or just ignore it (I'd guess the latter). Although that would be nice to have more :D

Care to scribble a tutorial Tex how you accomplished this bit of editing? I didn't really follow your previus explaination! :)

OK J, a short tutorial it is (short being a relative term :wink: ). You need a hex editor to edit the files!

First a little foundation work: a byte consists of eight bits (that's 2**8 or 2 to the eighth power; which equals 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 256). 256 is 16 squared (16*16 = 256) and since Hex is base 16, each byte is represented in Hex by two alphanumerics (example: 2B Hex = 2*16 + 11 = 43 decimal base 10 = 00101011 binary).

For the CMUNEFTB.DAT file, what I have noticed is a 4 byte block (maybe that's because of the editor?) that repeated every 3rd block. On further examination it's really a 12 byte block (3 sections of 4 double alphanumerics) that repeat and describe data. So, I'm going to try and break this up into several little sections. Remember, all data in the file is in Hex, and is assumed to remain so :wink: :

1) Header: Appears as three 4 byte blocks (I'm not sure what the numbers actually mean, but I'm guessing the 3rd block 14 00 00 00 means "fleets"), followed by a four 4 byte block (containing ASCII codes for the label "SeedFamilyTableEntry").

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2871/data2aforcmuneftboy7.th.jpg (click to read)

2) The next three 4 byte blocks all have the value "1", I'm not sure what these values do. The following three 4 byte blocks contain quantity information: the first 4 byte block = the number of groups (usually this means a capital ship), the second 4 byte block is unknown, the third 4 byte block = the number of 12 byte blocks (three 4 byte blocks) units to be berthed on the ship. Each 12 byte block is a single item (a starfighter, troop, and/or spec force). All of the items read in are for 1 group.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1049/data2bforcmuneftbzi4.th.jpg (click to read)

3) The first "item" loaded is the capital ship (or Death Star). Each "item" consists of three 4 byte blocks: the first 4 byte block always equals 1, the second 4 byte block always equals 0, the third 4 byte block contains the ship class and type. The first byte is the class of ship (see the thumbnail for details), the second and third bytes are 0, and the fourth byte is the type of ship (capital ship = 14, Death Star = 18 ).

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8305/data2cforcmuneftbtk6.th.jpg (click to read)

4) Each item after the capital ship is a unit berthed on said ship. Each "item" consists of three 4 byte blocks: the first 4 byte block always equals 1, the second 4 byte block always equals 0, the third 4 byte block contains the unit class and type. The first byte is the class of unit (see the thumbnail for details), the second and third bytes are 0, and the fourth byte is the type of unit (starfighter = 1C, troop = 10, spec forces = 3C).

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8408/data2dforcmuneftbhc0.th.jpg (click to read)

5) You'll see I edited this file to contain 2 Death Stars (the number of groups), with each "group" holding 2B (43) items: 1 Death Star, 24 Tie Defenders, 18 Dark Troopers. 2B hex is 43 decimal 10, so checking ... 1 + 24 + 18 = 43. If you state there are 43 items but have more than 43 items, only the first 43 are loaded into the game. If you state there are 43 items but have less than 43 items, all of the items are loaded into the game (then the program reads an and stops loading data from this file).

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1336/data2eforcmuneftbvl1.th.jpg (click to read)

As far as I can tell, I believe the program is hard coded to read in only 1 capital ship for the Empire. I have put the data of a capital ship into a starfighter slot, but the ship does not show up in the game on screen (but, it is listed in the "Ship Finder" :? ). So, it is being loaded and probably taking up maintenance and resources, but it's just not playable (and you can't "scrap it" to get back resources or maintenance :( )

I hope this answered your questions J (in more detail)? Any questions, just ask.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

That really is most woo of you Tex fella! :D

But I think i'm stuck back at the beginning... with the hex-editor bit. There fore I shall first find a hex-editor and figure it out, and then return here and using that tutorial, naturally figure out everything in the game! :P

..or not as the case will probably be... :?

Here you go J, a FREE hex editor called Hexplorer. This is what I downloaded to use. Its pretty easy to use and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help answer them :wink:

But anyway, I feel a bit like an old coot (Just be quiet Tofu!) when I found out everything I was playing around with has already been posted on the forums by Vakundok and The_Mask back in 2004 :roll: Well, I think I made a little progress at least in regards to "the number of groups" and verified what has already been posted (maybe in a little more detail) :) Anyone who knows how to program a new GUI could do this with this file just like RebEd changes other files :wink:

Well I think I beat this horse to death, I mean file. I think my next endeavor will be the CMUNEMTB.DAT file (the random Imperial fleets). :twisted:

Oh boy, double post :roll: Well, it's a somewhat different topic ... somewhat. The CMUNEMTB.DAT file ...

following are some scribblings I did to point out various things in the data file ...

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2913/cmunemtbyy4.th.jpg (click to read)

The view above shows the number of categories for different Imperial forces that are randomly selected and placed in the game. Each category has a percentage range and the data between the categories are the units (see following info). What I'm not sure about (without some extensive testing) is how many times this file is accessed at the time of game creation, and if this is tied into the difficulty rating/galaxy size of the game. Sometimes (as the Empire) I've started with a pretty decent fleet, and other times not quite so hot. Based on info from the Imperial Home Fleet file, whatever units get randomly assigned then have their maintenance subtracted from the starting maintenance pool. So, it appears possible to modifiy the randomly appearing units, but not exactly which ones will be selected at game startup.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8065/cmunemtbcapitalshipsmo4.th.jpg (click to read)

The view above shows only the capital ship data plus the number of units loaded onto each ship (Note: the capital ship itself counts as 1 unit!)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8868/cmunemtbfighterstroopswz6.th.jpg (click to read)

The view above shows only the fighters and troop data (on ships or systems)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9639/cmunemtbspecforcesun4.th.jpg (click to read)

The view above shows only the spec forces data.

Another thing I'm not sure about is whether if a category is randomly selected, can it be selected again? I'm thinking so based on the fact there is only 1 Carrack listed, but I have started a game and had 2 Carracks available. I'll have to experiment and see if its possible to use the "number of groups" increase like in the Home Fleet file.

Any questions?

Emm, well thanks to that link Tex, I got the Hex editor up and running, but how you identify information from the game files remains a mystery to me 8O

Emm, well thanks to that link Tex, I got the Hex editor up and running, but how you identify information from the game files remains a mystery to me 8O

No, honestly! :?

I've been using the hex editor to have a look at a few game data files, and can't fathom how any of you figured anything out. I'm probably not using the editor in the correct manor, but like, how on earth did someone figure out a particular number equates to a piece of game information, as concrete as a ship type for example?

All this remains a mystery.. 8O

No, honestly! :?

I've been using the hex editor to have a look at a few game data files, and can't fathom how any of you figured anything out. I'm probably not using the editor in the correct manor, but like, how on earth did someone figure out a particular number equates to a piece of game information, as concrete as a ship type for example?

All this remains a mystery.. 8O

Well J, it helps a bit if you've prgrammed in the past. Now, it's been quite awhile since I've played with hex, but I guess it's sorta like riding a bike ... Now I can't program of this fancy new fangled "C" stuff or visual whatever (I mean, isn't all programming "visual", you gotta see to program, right?). But alas, nobody uses vacuum tubes or decks of cards anymore ... wait, that's a good thing :D But I digress, basically you "flag" data fields to describe what things are, and keep track of individual things somewhere later. "Startup" files are alot easier to decipher than the "save" files. But, that will come ... sometime later. :wink:

(Double post, but at least it's a different subject within the topic :wink: )

I've wondered what all of the files in the GDATA folder are for :? . In that regard, I've noticed that several of the file names ending in MSTB before the .DAT, are probably mission tables (probability tables). So, I dug into the first file ABDCMSTB.DAT and mused the following ...

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7325/abdcmstbfiledescriptionlm8.th.jpg (click to enlarge)

Also, I'm guessing that all of the file names ending in SD are probably "starting data" files. Some of the names are fairly obvious to figure out, but I was trying to figure out ALL of the file names. Following are my best guesses; I'm sure I didn't get the correct descriptions exactly, so all help is appreciated.

ABDCMSTB.DAT - Abduction mission table

ABODESD.DAT - ?

ALLFACSD.DAT - Alliance facility start data

AO.FDT - ?

ASSNMSTB.DAT - Assassination mission table

BASICSD.DAT - Basic start data

C3POACT.SPT - C3PO stuff?

CAPSHPSD.DAT - Capital ship start data

CMUNAFTB.DAT - Alliance starting fleet data

CMUNALTB.DAT - Alliance random starting forces

CMUNCRTB.DAT - Coruscant starting forces

CMUNEFTB.DAT - Imperial starting fleet data

CMUNEMTB.DAT - Imperial random starting forces

CMUNHQTB.DAT - Alliance Headquarters starting forces

CMUNYVTB.DAT - Yavin starting forces

CSCRHTTB.DAT - ?

DEFFACSD.DAT - Default facility start data

DIPLMSTB.DAT - Diplomacy mission table

DSSBMSTB.DAT - Death Star sabotage mission table

EO.FDT - ?

ESCAPETB.DAT - Escape mission table

ESPIMSTB.DAT - Espionage mission table

FACLCRTB.DAT - Facilities on Coruscant table

FACLHQTB.DAT - Facilities on Alliance Headquarters table

FDECOYTB.DAT - ?

FIGHTSD.DAT - Fighter start data

FLEETSD.DAT - Fleet start data

FOILTB.DAT - Foil mission table

GNPRTB.DAT - ?

IMP22ACT.SPT - IMP22 stuff?

INCTMSTB.DAT - Incite Uprising mission table

INFORMTB.DAT - Informants provide information table

MANFACSD.DAT - Manufacturing facilities start data

MANMGRSD.DAT - ?

MISSNSD.DAT - Mission start data

MJCHARSD.DAT - Major character start data

MNCHARSD.DAT - Minor character start data

PROFACSD.DAT - ? facility start data

RCRTMSTB.DAT - Reconnaissance mission table

RESCMSTB.DAT - Rescue mission table

RESRCTB.DAT - ?

RLEVADTB.DAT - ?

SBTGMSTB.DAT - Sabotage mission table

SDPRTB.DAT - ?

SECTORSD.DAT - Sector start data

SPECFCSD.DAT - Special forces start data

SUBDMSTB.DAT - Subdue uprising mission table

SYFCCRTB.DAT - ?

SYFCRMTB.DAT - ?

SYSTEMSD.DAT - System start data

TDECOYTB.DAT - ?

TROOPSD.DAT - Troop start data

UNIQUESD.DAT - Unique start data

UPRIS1TB.DAT - Uprising table 1

UPRIS2TB.DAT - Uprising table 2

Please post your best suggestions so that a nice index can be created. Thanks!!

Nice work Tex fella! :) Despite being unable to help atall, I would reckon the natural disaster formular must be in there somewhere, given facility data files would appear to be in there...

Nice work Tex fella! :) Despite being unable to help atall, I would reckon the natural disaster formular must be in there somewhere, given facility data files would appear to be in there...

Jahled's greatest foe:D

Jahled's greatest foe:D

Not just the disaster, but the one or two energy slot systems. I'm current playing a game where one system in the Sumitra Sector doesn't have any system energy or the other one (at work, forgot name of), and is an uncolonized planet. The rebs keep on colonizing it, but can't actually build anything there! It's like completely stupid in a hilarious way. It would be cool to have between fifteen to eighteen slots of energy throughout the galaxy, including outer rim systems, and with no natural disasters! :)

OK, I have just about finished messing around with the SYSTEMSD.DAT file, and had a wild idea hit me. With the data in hand, I created a spreadsheet to calculate the travel time from any system in the galaxy to anyother system. I've only spot checked several dozen of the possible thousands of combinations and it seems pretty dead on. I will say it's not fool proof as there are a couple of combinations that were +/- 1 day off. Since I don't have the exact formula used by Rebellion, but it seems pretty obvious I got that nailed, I think my problem has to do with rounding and precision (more than likely too much precision considering the age of the game :wink: ) I'll keep posting updates as they become available.

I guess we've been waiting the 'travel distance' graph for years Tex, or for someone who could be bothered to do it! :lol: No seriously, good stuff :) Any such thing i'm sure would deserve a place on the site's game FAQ or encyclopedia I guess!

Maybe we could setup something like wiki.swrebellion.com where you document all these finds and make them easily searchable rather than digging through threads?

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Maybe we could setup something like wiki.swrebellion.com where you document all these finds and make them easily searchable rather than digging through threads?

I was refering to the Encyclopedia entries we've got when you drop the Rebellion menu above this post, along side where it says Welcome Budious! Not that most experienced players would need it during general gameplay, but it certain situations it would serve it uses..

I was seriously off topic... but I glad were on speaking terms. Kiss and make up baby :oops:

OK, I have just about finished messing around with the SYSTEMSD.DAT file, and had a wild idea hit me. With the data in hand, I created a spreadsheet to calculate the travel time from any system in the galaxy to anyother system. I've only spot checked several dozen of the possible thousands of combinations and it seems pretty dead on. I will say it's not fool proof as there are a couple of combinations that were +/- 1 day off. Since I don't have the exact formula used by Rebellion, but it seems pretty obvious I got that nailed, I think my problem has to do with rounding and precision (more than likely too much precision considering the age of the game :wink: ) I'll keep posting updates as they become available.

Just an update: I nailed down that hyperspace flux capacitor hickup in the thingy-ma-bob when the dohickey thing is cross connected. In other words, I fixed the variance within the calculations and believe I have a 100% hyperspace correct travel spreadsheet :D Now, I'm not going to be 100% sure as I'm not going to check ~20 thousand system combinations, but those I did have problems on have all worked out. If there's a way, maybe I can send this to Evaders to get posted in the downloads section? That's if anybody is interested, that is :?

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like alot of new info here. If anyone posts file formats, I can slap a GUI on it and allow it to be modded. I dont have time to figure out the format and add the code to modify it. But I can make some time over the next week or two to add functionity to my SWRDE program so we can edit these new files.