new tool:Star Wars Rebellion Data Editor (swrde)

errantone

Ok,

I've been working on a tool to compliment rebedit, not replace it. It's focus is on editing all the DAT files, especially fields that we dont have access too with rebedit.

Keep in mind, this is a work in process, and I call this release beta1.2. For those programming minded folks, it's an MDI app using C# and .net2.0

What this means for everyone is that you need to install microsoft .net 2.0 and have rebellion installed.

Updated download link (4/21/07):

SWRDE download link

The .zip file has a readme (READ IT) and the .exe. the readme gives you a link to download .net2.0 if you dont already have it. If you are not sure if you have it, download it and install it from microsoft.

At this point, I'm interested in people who are willing to do some testing to be sure it works on their machine, and what ever other random problems crop up. I've made a gmail account(look in readme), so if you want to report any problems/bugs you can email me those and/or post on this forum.

Keep in mind that this project was basically for my own use, and I decided to fix it up a bit more and make it available to the community. All I can say is that i've had no problems with it editing the DAT files for my own playing/testing, but have no clue how it will work on a myriad of other machines. So use at your own risk. Just to be save, back up your data using rebedit first.

Read the readme while you downloading .net 2.0 as I've tried to include anything I thought was useful. The tool is not fully complete, but it's possibly useful to anyone building a TC. I've mainly used it to change things like family ID and research difficulty.

For fun I tossed in some rebellion, in game, sounds, it can play rebellion music from the CD if you want it too(requires CD in drive of course) and have a few 'hidden' sounds if you want to hunt for easter eggs :)

This project was purely for fun, so I can NOT promise much(or any) additional things added. This will depend on work/life stuff and whatever seems like it would be 'fun' to do.

Let me know what you think and I hope it's helpful.

ErrantOne

Edited by errantone

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS. I want to thank vakundok for his work/posting on the DAT file formats as having this info was enough to jump start me into doing this project and let me focus on building the tool. If there were no posts about it, i would not have even started. As doing the hard legwork for fileformat diving it quite timeconsuming.

Thanks vakundok!

yeah it didnt work for me the first time either

its supposed to be:

http://www.geocities.com/errantone/SWRdataEditor-Beta1.2.zip

I was going to post the new link, but for some reason erratones link worked the second time i tried it. weird

http://nordwindranger.com

I should really make a flashy banner

What a marvelous tool! :) Woo to you sir!

Some nice little features in there, like being able to see what ship's back-up hyperdrive ratings are, how hard Jedi characters will be, and perhaps the possibility of having multiple Luke's I guess, assuming the game doesn't crash. And obviously lots of scope for continued development.

And it all works with RebEd as well!

:arrow: errantone, do you reckon you'll be able to mod systems, so we can have all of them about 14/10 development?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

:arrow: errantone, do you reckon you'll be able to mod systems, so we can have all of them about 14/10 development?

you could change their family code to 144(core world) and that will make them same as core worlds for start of game characteristics. Or do you mean you want them as they are, but have a larger capacity?

you could change their family code to 144(core world) and that will make them same as core worlds for start of game characteristics. Or do you mean you want them as they are, but have a larger capacity?

Basically so that you don't have any stipid 1/1 systems through out the outer rim. At the moment I simply use RebEd and set every sector to high in importance and inhabited. So yes, with a larger capacity would be cool.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

This is an excellent tool, and it's very helpful.

One of the things I'm wondering is if it's possible to make all the Rim worlds colonized and inhabited... but still invisible?

I want to be able to use all the worlds as nicely inhabited ones, but I don't want to know where the Rebel HQ is at the start of the game. :P

One of the things I'm wondering is if it's possible to make all the Rim worlds colonized and inhabited... but still invisible?

I want to be able to use all the worlds as nicely inhabited ones, but I don't want to know where the Rebel HQ is at the start of the game. :P

needs more testing. I don't know how to do that.

Nice work, errantone ;) I have taken a look on ur program :)

My question is, what reason have the Difficulty ?

I think the Order's points are the same in the Rebed's research points.

And how calculate the game this Difficuly,Order and the researchers abilities ?

Ex. the mon cal have 2 order and 24 diff.

2x24 = 48 points.

If we have 2 researchers they give by each 10 days 2 points.

10 days - 2 points

100 days - 20 points

240 days - 48 points.

So this mean we have researched the mon cal at the day of 240.

Or maybe how work this thing ?

About to be inhabited some planets and to be invisible, i think it is possible, u have to set the sistems to a higher importance - as i remember, in my TC in this way i've found colonized planets (but i think they did not have buildings).

If u set all sistems to the highest importance, and only one have less importance it is sure that the Alliance HQ will be in this lesser importance sistem.

With this, if somebody will make a TC, his storyline should begin with the fact that imperial agents was aquired not the exact location of the Alliance HQ, but they founded evidence that the HQ should be located in that lesser importance sistem.

i'm probably just using your tool wrong, or missed something in the readme file but if that's not the case i just wanted to point out that:

when editing the minor characters, i had to press the 'ok' button to close out of the window for each character for it to save. it wouldn't save anything (other than the last edited character) if i just use the slider bar to go through the characters one by one to edit their attributes. the editing program makes it looks like it remembers your changes but when you open rebellion and reload the data file in the editing program it does not.

i'm probably just using your tool wrong, or missed something in the readme file but if that's not the case i just wanted to point out that:

when editing the minor characters, i had to press the 'ok' button to close out of the window for each character for it to save. it wouldn't save anything (other than the last edited character) if i just use the slider bar to go through the characters one by one to edit their attributes. the editing program makes it looks like it remembers your changes but when you open rebellion and reload the data file in the editing program it does not.

Yes, you must hit 'ok' to save data in any form. Up till that point, it's not saved in the file, only in memory. I'll update the readme, thanks for pointing that out. You can also save using the 'save as' dialog, but I mainly use that for making backup copies of data.

Saving 'per character' should make no difference. When OK is pressed the entire dataset is written to the appropriate file. I will do some testing to see if you uncovered a bug in saving the data.

Edit: did some testing, OK seems to save all data. if you still have problems email me and let me know.

My question is, what reason have the Difficulty ?

I think the Order's points are the same in the Rebed's research points.

And how calculate the game this Difficuly,Order and the researchers abilities ?

Ex. the mon cal have 2 order and 24 diff.

2x24 = 48 points.

If we have 2 researchers they give by each 10 days 2 points.

10 days - 2 points

100 days - 20 points

240 days - 48 points.

So this mean we have researched the mon cal at the day of 240.

Or maybe how work this thing ?

Ok, in rebedit, you can set 'research' to a number, this ONLY determine the order in which research happens. It does nothing else. The difficulty field determine 'how much' successful research is needed to allow manufacture of that item. So what rebedit calls 'research' is listed as 'order' in my research area for each item.

What we dont know is the formula used to calculate the amount of research generated by the facilities themselves, 'passive research'. Or how much is added when a researcher has a successful research event. The 'research number' for each character seems to be a percent chance of success(lower numbers = lower chances for successful reserach message).

In my little, mini-TC mod, almost every item in game must be researched. So order 1, difficulty 10 and order 10, diff 10, seem to be equal in the amount of reserach needed for that item. I could be wrong, but that's how i currently understand research in rebellion.

hope that helps

• 2 months later...
This is an excellent tool, and it's very helpful.

Good question. If I ever discover that, I will let you know.

I am hacking hardcore around these files for the moment. I wonder where the 'invisible' flag is, and what file.

• 1 month later...
Back to reading the forum's semi-regularly again. Took a break from rebellion and coding my editor. I might make some time over the next few weeks to add new features, so if you have any suggestions please post. I will not have alot of time so will have to see what, if anything people want.

• 2 months later...

updated the download link for the Beta1.2 version. Should be downloadable again if anyone wants to try it.

Also, I have some time to add functionality if anyone wants something added let me know. Prefer to add features that are NOT in RebEd so we as a community have more things we can mod.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Defender_16/JustintimeDebugging.jpg

Oh man, I get this every time I click on anything.

Anyone know how I activate JIT Debugging? Or should I stop being so lazy and google it? :wink:

Thought I'd let you know that this was poping up on a regular basis though.

Debugging won't stop the problem but might give more detailed information about the problem for a fix in a future release of the program. Otherwise, don't worry about enabling it.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Sorry this is happening. The real issue is the 'unhandled exception'. Do you get this as soon as you start the app? Or only after you try to bring up a dialog?

As long as you have rebellion installed, this (obviously) should not be happening. All rebellion location info is gathering from the registry entry for rebellion.

And are you sure you have .net 2.0 installed on your system?

Hopefully we can get this solved soon for you.

• 8 months later...
I was curious as to the status of this thread? Is this still available, or is it some sort of dead or dashed link? Ugh! I am trying to find something better than Rebed...err...rrr...
His mishappen head, lidless eyes and twisted, hunched back distanced him even further from what the Masters had wanted. It was obvious from the get-go that Exedore Formo would never be a warrior. But they did need a lawgiver…