New web-based SW MMOG... calling all developers!

I would love to help, but I'm no good a programming or graphic or anything like that, but if you need someone to test the beta version and give advices one what to change, just ask me. Here's my e-mail : darky.n@gmail.com

Again, I would love to help, because your idea sounds good. :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JediIgor

I'd avoid the "Star Wars" or you'll get sued. As for Flash, I could be wrong but if you want to do client-server scripting it'll have to go through HTTP anyways which means you can use anything you want for the backend. I could offer some help designing the database though (normalizing, etc) and recommending postgresql over mysql :).

Evaders99, I know a decent ammount of ASP, Jscript etc... .NET would be a pretty sweet platform to do this in. It would be fun just to work on a .NET project let alone something a la SW.
.NET seems like overkill to me, does it have a HTTP frontend? I'm pretty sure you would have to recompile that all the time, I dunno, high level is more productive ;). And wouldn't you get stuck with a Windows server too? That's a NO-NO if you want to handle hundreds of players online at the same time. Windows = bad.

Also, I don't know much about Flash (I've made stuff in Shockwave before though), but I don't think it lets you have a real-time server client connection. Although if you are bent on that I i magine you'd need a lot more than just one server, and especially more than one Windows server. Even if the packet contents are very small the IP&UDP headers will kill the bandwidth by themselves.

I think the second one sounds and looks better.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

ElevenThirtyOne Trbbl is the guy from totalbf2.com

this is what he said

Hey, I just read over your Proof of Concept Document and I think your game looks really professional and fun to play. It almost deserves to be pay to play.

I would love to help in any way but I have no real skills. I could be a tester or help with public relations/advertising. I have experience in both fields. I would be willing to donate some time aswell.

I'm a StarWars fan so this game is very appealing to me.

My email is allanbalanda@hotmail.com Msn is same. I also have ICQ.

So many people wanting to be testers and photoshoppers, myself included. Poor guy comes looking for developers and he gets flooded with graphic designers. XD
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Overall, when it comes to developers, graphic designers, and all that stuff, Im useless. End of discussion.

But, Im always willuing to help in any way I can. My email addy is optionalsanity@hotmail.com If we can pul;l this off, it would be a great honor to help you bring it to life.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

You say Galactic Civil War, just how far before and after the OT are you casting your net for ships and the like? Also...

Someone get ElvilleJedi!!! He's the one you want!

I've got some experience at modifying games but not much else, I did a little Visual Basic in high school and forgot most of it. I can create some pretty good images but I donb't have photoshop, I use GIMP. Hmm...

Anyway your description has created a whole lot of questions for me. How will combat occur? You've got ranks but no chain of command, maybe adding one wouldn't be a bad idea.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Stellar_Magic, The game is tentatively set to be from about 10 years before Ep4 - till - beyond Ep6. Since events in the game happen in a linear fashion... ingame events may even mirror the films to some degree.

The current document is a little vague in areas but it is a work in developement. The new site and forums will be set up in a few days and discussion on the various aspects including how COMBAT will be played out will be determined.

BTW whos ElvilleJedi?? And how can I get in touch with him? :D

I'd love to help, but I'm pretty much flat out with Uni. And in my spare time I either do some modelling, drive or work on the Reloaded project.

Still, if help is ever needed I've got skills in:

3d Modelling - Primarily 3D Studio Max, though also Maya if need be

Photoshop - just got CS2, could use an excuse to try it out :wink:

and Flash - mainly drawing and basic animations

I'm learning Java, but DON'T ask me about it :wink: OOP is way over my head :P

Indeed, He's the creator of the Warlords project.

Yup, Eville is an awesome . . . well everything :)

He's currently working on a mod for Homeworld 2 called Warlords, check it out here: http://warlords.swrebellion.com

Check out his gallery, he's got a lot of images from the mod - ingame, devolopment etc. and non-related.

Hell, if you've got HW2 get the mod - it's absolutely awesome (even if prosesor hundry and over a hundred meg to download). It's even won an award: Mod of the Month at ModDB

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I prefer the http://www.SWGalacticCivilWar.com for the adresse.

btw if you want i could scour the net and dress a list of ships for you :D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Well, having nothing better to do, I would be more than willing to be the PR guy for the game, and the site!! Ill write up a FAQ of what were are aiming to do, but to do that i will need some more info about goals for the game. I was bored at work, so I came up with some basic questions which will help outline the game somewhat.

- We already know the game is free, but will donations to keep the game running be welcome?

- Can you sell/trade supplies/troops/vessels to other players if need be, even members of the opposing factions?

-Will there be an open market to sell such things on?

- Can Independents sell to all factions directly, regardless of who they started out as?

- Do the space and ground battle run like they did in SW Rebellion, or will there be a new system for them?

- If you choose to become an Independent, will there be a seperate rank system for you and other independents, or will it be the same as your original factions?

- Can you Tax worlds under your control? If so, will taxes being to high cause them to go into revolution? Will to many military untis cause revolution?

- If you have a lack of funds and/or supplies to keep your vessels and facilities running, will they simply degrade over time, or will they simply be destroyed until you are back under "budget"?

These are what I have for now, and will help in the creation of a general FAQ for the game, along with what you have already informed us of.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Wow Eville stuff is really cool! Would love to get some of his work into SW GCW. We won't be doing true 3D environments cuz it would be TOO resource intensive for a Flash Web Browser based game however... I did some experiementation taking a SW 3D model and converting it in Swift3D and then inporting the 3D vector image into Flash. The results were pretty good... and its all vector so no quality loss. So we'll definately need that for all the ships and facilities for sure.

Just so everyone knows... the game is still in the conceptual level so many things like COMBAT may change.

The website will be set up tonight or tomorow. And I'll breakdown all of the games components and we can dicuss each one to develop it in the best fashion.

Let me quickly tho answer BadSamaritan's FAQ:

We already know the game is free, but will donations to keep the game running be welcome?

Yes, the game is and will always be free to play, to pay for server fees we will be accepting donations once the game is live.

Can you sell/trade supplies/troops/vessels to other players if need be, even members of the opposing factions?

Yes, you can sell anything to anyone, no matter which faction.

Will there be an open market to sell such things on?

Commodity Exchange facilites can be built in any system that act as a an open market.

Can Independents sell to all factions directly, regardless of who they started out as?

Absolutely.

Do the space and ground battle run like they did in SW Rebellion, or will there be a new system for them?

Combat both space and ground will play out in a new kind of system. While still in the conceptual stage, at this point given the fact that SW GCW is a browser based game and units can be attacked at any time even when a player is logged off, combat will be auto-resolve. However, a battle may take several minutes or longer to auto-resolve given the size of the fleets in question. This is to add more realism and strategic methods to the game, where you could "hold up" or distract an enemy fleet while another fleet attacks a primary target.

If you choose to become an Independent, will there be a seperate rank system for you and other independents, or will it be the same as your original factions?

At this point it will be the same as the original faction... perhaps we can build a "independent" system where if you say are Imperial and breakoff to become an Independent you are no longer part of that rank system.

Can you Tax worlds under your control? If so, will taxes being to high cause them to go into revolution? Will to many military untis cause revolution?

Yes you can tax worlds under your factions control. Yes high taxation will cause your faction's influence to drop. Too many military units will not cause a revolution.

If you have a lack of funds and/or supplies to keep your vessels and facilities running, will they simply degrade over time, or will they simply be destroyed until you are back under "budget"?

There will be maintenance fees for player and faction facilities and units. Likely the unit will degrade before being destroyed.

-Bashes head against the wall mutiple times, pausing now and a again to have a fit of laughter before bashing his head into the wall again-

...You realize if you put Star Wars in the title and Lucas Arts finds out about it they will watermelon you up the arse with a splintery stake.

Oh, and Krytos I hate you! I want CS2 so much, how much did it cost you?

Sweet, thanks for all the answers man. Ill get to writing a abbreviateed FAQ for the game tomorrow.

But for now, I sleep!