MrPhildevil

Are you interested in my mod  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in my mod

• Yes
    • No
    • Uh? You have a mod?
    • Only some parts are interesting to me
    • Could you please detail your mod a bit more, then I'll know.
    • Uh, is that my work your'e using in your mod?

Hey there, I'll try to answer your issues as best as I can. I managed to install Rebellion on windows 8 and think I'll be able to make-it work properly. I used a virtual machine of Windows XP with my old license I bought a few years ago. Let me start by this: I tried to balance between playability and canon, but my intent was mostly to make a game that was closer to cannon for one, and less disgusting to look-at. I cannot say that it is perfect. I cannot say that it looks as good as I originally intended, but I think it is pretty playable and way better to look at. By the way, always use the Expert setting, if you want the AI to have a fighting chance!

several sectors say "sector" twice

sectors on the far right side of the screen (when playing Imperials) have their name partially cut off by the UI

Can't answer that one right now, as my game is not set yet, but basically, some names were to long to fit perfectly in the UI. Rebellion was not exactly made to be mod friendly and with the help of Darth Tex (a lot of help), I was able to make something that is not so bad. If you think you can do better, by all means, try-it ;) Also, I want to tell you that I tried my best to incorporate the positions from the New Essential Atlas, the most reliable source of geo in SW, so far.

Edit: The double sector is Yavin. I could correct that someday, when I get RebEd to work. Till then...

Metellos has the same planet icon as Coruscant, intentional?

Yes. If you read their descriptions, both planet are very alike. I believe a few others also share this icon.

Colors of all units and structures in the "units" window for each planet look a bit strange, might be normal and intended. Using Windows7 x64, regular SW Rebellion does not have this weird color effect. It may be normal though, I dont know what the icons are supposed to look like. It just seems that many unit icons have a strange coloring to them.

You might want to share a few screenies? That would help to clarify what is supposed to look weird.

Tie Scimitar has incorrect grammar in its encyclopedia entry, should say: has a reinforced hull", currently says: "has a reinforce hull"

You got me on that one. If you can report a lot of those, I may consider issuing a fix for that, but not for only a handful of them. I'll correct-it here, but I will release this only way later, if and when I have something more to post for this mod.

Some new units, like the Tie Scimitar, Encorcer Cruiser, and XQ2 Commercial Station do not list shield strength, fighter/troop carrying capacity, and weapons amounts like normal units from the game do. Makes it very hard to judge their abilities. Typing out a description of what each one has (which only a single one did this that I saw) is not adequate since it breaks the normal cycle of how things are presented to the user. All units should have their stats listed in the exact same way with a description underneath it all.

First, that would be the enForcer. And second, I know I did not made descriptions to match in-game style. Unfortunately for you, I do not plan on keeping this feature myself. Never used the ency in this way. I'd rather have a historic of the ency data I'm looking-at than stats. So how do I compare them? Use status on ship!

Text boxes in the window for creating units and such needs to be reverted back to English. Far to difficult to know what button does what when the language is in SW Basic.

Yup, I know that. This is due to the fact that for a few reasons, I based my mod on Reloaded TC. There are stuff that came from this mod and I did not fully change the interface. That IS annoying to me as hell, but I was not inspired to change these. Already, what I done, graphic-wise, met a lot of opposition (when I mainly wanted to make things look better for myself, in the beginning...), so I'd have to find something that looks good enough and would be acceptable for everybody. I ain't there yet, but this is a good idea and I may try to improve on that Reloaded graphic feature in the future.

Marauder Corvette is buildable as the Empire, but the encyclopedia description says it is a Republic vessel. Also this unit too is missing weapon, shield, and carrying listings.

Yes, it is buildable by the empire. You will remember that the Republic became the empire, and as such, it has access to Marauder Corvette. You will notice that a lot of vessels are available to both sides. This is due to the fact that canonically, they are available to both. The Marauder was used a lot into the Corporate Sector of Authority, which also justify that the empire has access. As for the Rebels, they stole a lot of plans and vessels from the empire.

Corellian Corvette is buildable as the Empire. Intentional? If so then it kinda makes the Carrack Light Cruiser almost pointless

Yes intentional. Corellian Engineering Corporation has been under imperial control, so it only makes sense. And look into status info: the Carrack totally owns the Corellian Corvette for not as expensive (200 hull for CR-90 and 1000 hull for Carrack, turbolasers for carrack...)

Why cant Ysanne Isard become an admiral? Not only did she command the Galactic Empire for a short while but also was in command of the Lusankya

Because it is my understanding that she simply is not qualified to direct space battles. She was good at intelligence and troop management, which is why she has high charisma and can be general, but in my opinion, she cannot direct a space battle with as much finesse, which is why I chose to only make her a General. Lowering her charisma and make her able to be admiral would hinder her capacity at being a good general. By the way, you can get insight of her incompetency at driving space battle when you look at who she surrounds herself with: good captains and Admirals that became warlords.

Too hard to see icons in some windows, like the Units window for a planet and when looking at fleets. Perhaps use a much darker background or just black rather than an image in these places.

I have no preblem with what you speak of. Screenies????

Not really liking the Sandcrawler icon as the new mine on planets. The Sandcrawler is hardly a mine and doesnt depict what the building is actually for.

Heh, I knew people would complain about that. Then change-it back... Seriously, try to find a decent ref pic for the mine!!! Awfully hard. However, the Sandcrawler is an adaptation the jawas did to a MINING VEHICLE. From Wikipedia: "Sandcrawlers were large, slow, threaded vehicles, used as self propelled bases for mining squads." Plus it makes sense to have something easier to move like a "Sandcrawler", in order to mine through harsh environments and move where the resources are. That's the last you'll hear about this, as I like-it and will keep-it for my mod. You can always switch all of these back to the old ones with RebEd and resource hacker...

Is the Spice Triangle supposed to not highlight during the introductory briefing when the protocol droid lists unidentified planets?

Lol I don't know, but I do know I get myself a cup of coffee while the intro plays!

E-Wing fighters are still listed as Y-Wings in the combat window where it says how many are left

Looks like a bug!! Weird... I'll look into-it!

the Deep Core is an unexplored area? Im not sure if this was intentional or not since I recognize the names of just about all those planets from the books.

Well, I could have made-it known, but I also know that the Empire had many secret bases there, which the Alliance did not know about for quite some time, because the emperor wanted them to stay a secret. Ironically, this is not the ultimate I did that though: that's because in my mod, there are fewer places where the Rebels can actually hide their headquarters and I choose to leave-it unexplored in order to allow rebels to hide their headquarters there.

The interface needs a bit of polishing for the New Republic, mainly down at the bottom where the buttons are to get to different areas. Right now it looks like the icons are just kinda floating in random spots because there is nothing to differentiate why those icons are supposed to be there.

Yeah, the icons were supposed to be on the "counter" all the way. I should try to fit the continuity of-it on the Alliance pic , but then there might be clipping issues, not to mention palette differences. Nasty business. If you can make-it work and post me your result, I'd be happy to include-it in the mod with full credit to yourself, of course. Till then, we'll have to wait for me being able and having time to work on this gem.

Also, difficulty might need some tweaking down the road. I am playing on intermediate for now to get the hang of the new ships and interface and I am on day 70 with good portion of the galaxy under my control. I also seem to have a fleet that is a match for much of the Imperial ships at the start of the game. I don't know if you intended to have both factions start out with equal capital ships or not.

That is why you never start with any difficulty lesser than "Expert". On expert, the AI can face you. But keep in mind that the game has many exploits, such as a victory by using insurrections.

Hope this answered most of your questions and you aren't too disappointed in the answers. Keep in mind that this game is pretty old and it is hard to get the result you want, what with the colour palette issues and other limitations. Also, if you comment, I always like when you propose an alternative, especially at the graphic level (providing pics is even better). Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your feedback: I value-it, even though I don't mod a lot these days.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, after all this time, I've decided to dust-off my VM and try to fix some stuff. MY previous install had REBED pissed off at me and not wanting to work with my mod. I am trying to fix this and if I can, I will work some more on this mod. Mainly, I was able to obtain Pricep's source files and plan on implementing them. Also, I will be trying to get rid of a part of the Aubresh the Reloaded mod implanted.

What is located within the GData folder? Replacing and adding data there seems to make RebEd pissed-off...

• 2 years later...
How do I get this off my machine? It messed up my game, even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Icons and cards are upside down, and the UI graphics are severely botched.

After "uninstalling" did you delete the game directories? Uninstalling doesn't delete modified files, and after reinstalling if it's still messed, then the "original" files are not getting onto the HD. After the uninstall, try deleting the game directory, then do an install.

Good Luck!

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 1 year later...
pretty sure the link was on the front page. but the link expired years ago. so unless the creator still has the files on his computer, or someone else wants to upload it, then this mod doesn't exsist.

Stratus
This post was recognized by Stratus!

MrPhildevil was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

How do I get this off my machine? It messed up my game, even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Icons and cards are upside down, and the UI graphics are severely botched.

Sorry the mod did not work for you. Using DarthTex's way should work for you. I just can't recall having trouble uninstalling, so I can't help you with that. Uninstalling the game is not enough. You have to delete every single Rebellion files in the Program Files (x86) Folder, and then install from CD...

Any progress on this? Has link to download this mod?

No Progress. But it is pretty much as advanced as I would go... I'm updating the link, but it will get removed in another 180 days. 4 shared is not so reliable and I don't know what would be better...

here's the link: https://www.4shared.com/archive/PDxTFDOvca/_Rebellion15_Mod_Betav2.html

pretty sure the link was on the front page. but the link expired years ago. so unless the creator still has the files on his computer, or someone else wants to upload it, then this mod doesn't exsist.

Sure I do. Know any place I can upload that's more stable than my current one?

• Like 1

Thnx for mod, thnx for link!

I work at my Rebalance mod on SWRebellion (Link: https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4057810). Can I use data from your mod?

And I couldn't find where wroute available energy and mine resources for start game, you found it?

p. s.: sorry for my english.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my late answer. Sure, you can use my mod or data from it. Keep in mind that some of the work in there is not mine (models, skins, et.c, so don't forget to credit stuff as much as you can). I think this game is old enough that nobody would complain about having their work used, but you never know ;)

About energy and mine ressource, the only way I know to modify some things is with Rebed, and it does modify just Coruscant for the Empire and Alliance HQ start for Rebels. The rest I don't know about...

• 5 years later...
  • SWR Staff - Executive

Since it is just about impossible to download that file from that crazy file hosting site with a ton of ads, I broke through all the ads and have uploaded it on our own server. You can download this here, but we offer no support for this and assume no liability. Use at your own risk.

Author/credit for this file is @MrPhildevil

Rebellion_1_5.zip

Hey Stratus, I'm glad you could break through that crazy hosting site and host this on SWR, where I always thought it belonged. I was trying hard just now to find this back for you, but I'm glad you could find-it before I did, because it has always been a hassle for me to find where to host-it. Rest assured that it is virus free, although since I'm not as good as the guys from reloaded, I know my installation method was less impressive. The important thing was that it worked. And thanks for the host, that's an honor!

• SWR Staff - Executive
On 7/27/2022 at 4:26 AM, MrPhildevil said:

Hey Stratus, I'm glad you could break through that crazy hosting site and host this on SWR, where I always thought it belonged. I was trying hard just now to find this back for you, but I'm glad you could find-it before I did, because it has always been a hassle for me to find where to host-it. Rest assured that it is virus free, although since I'm not as good as the guys from reloaded, I know my installation method was less impressive. The important thing was that it worked. And thanks for the host, that's an honor!

Let me tell you it was not easy. I think I finally got it to work using the Brave browser with "Shields up" to block all those scripts and popups.

• 5 months later...