Problems with Rebellion on WIN8

LDM

Question

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to get Rebellion to work on WIN8 yet. While I've managed to get it to work, it doesn't work very well graphically. All the pictures and icons are upside down and the colors look as though they are reversed. Has anyone experienced something similar on WIN8 or WIN7 x64? I've tried compatibility modes, making changes to the registry, and altering graphic card settings but it always looks wrong. I followed the instructions for the Vista x64/WIN7 install from this forum multiple times with no success. Anyone with any ideas would be great, I really want to make this work without having to dual boot XP or something like that on my new laptop.

Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)"http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

- Open the Star Wars Rebellion cd in explorer.

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the edit option.

- For every instance of "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion", replace it with "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion".

- Download the TC beta

- Extract TC beta into C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\beta

- Make sure you have reshacker installed on your system

- Make sure you have rebed installed on your system

- Set the TC's setup.exe to compatibility mode XP SP 3 and run as administrator

- Ensure that any virtualization technology (VMWare, Virtualbox, Hyper-V, Virtual XP mode, VirtualPC) are uninstalled or turned off if not uninstallable

- Run the tc installer

- Set rebed.exe to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 3 and run as administrator

- move the .reb file in the tc card folder to the rebed folder

- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\Rebellion\ and set the values for dlllocation and toobiglocation to your CD Drive letter (for example, if your CD is the D drive set it to "D:")

- Run Rebed and click on partial installer. Make sure that the numbers match on both columns. If they do, go ahead and close the partial installer window and load settings for TC. Close rebed

- Rename C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.

- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\Rebellion\ and set the values for dlllocation and toobiglocation to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded". Change all references to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" to "C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded"

- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

-To run windowed mode and avoid upside down graphics, right click and drag reloaded.exe to the desktop and select "create shortcut here". Right click on the newly created shortcut and select properties. Click anywhere in the target box, hit end (so you are past the ") and enter [space] -w. ("C:\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\Reloaded.exe" -w)

EDIT: Ok, I got everything working. The nature of the problems that I was having was that files in the Program Files folder (both 64 and 86) are read-only and Rebed writes DIRECTLY to those folders. This is a little misleading because of the phrasing on the two buttons: "Save Configuration" and "Load Configuration". "Save Configuration" is "save to file", or an export function. "Load Configuration" is "apply configuration file to rebellion". Again, I think the terms are generally misleading because "save" and "load" usually mean "save to disk" and "load to memory", whereas in Rebed they both imply writing to disk.

So, there are two solutions to this: 1 is to unlock all files and folders in the rebellion directory from read-only. The other is to place rebellion in a location where it never gets the read only attribute in the first place (this requires some registry tweaks). My personal preference is the latter, but should you prefer the former all you have to do is select the rebellion folder and right click > properties and uncheck the read-only box. Double check everything to save yourself grief. Then run rebed.

If you wish to do the former, I have edited the instructions above accordingly. Happy hacking.

These directions are great, but I have no idea what tc beta is, where it is, how I use it, or what it does. Im a complete computer noob but I love this game. All these posts seem to be for windows 7, and im using 8. Also these posts are for reloaded, when I just want to play rebellion. I could use step by step instructions for windows 8 installing rebellion that are completely clear to a stupid noob like me. I also dont have a windows xp disc so cant virtual machine that. All I have is this stupid win8 computer I hate, and a rebellion disc ive had since childhood. Somebody help me please!

I have a fix for Win8 users with upsidedown icons and inverted colors:

In addition adding "-w" to the end of the target for windowed mode, go into the "Compatibility" tab and select "Run in 640x480 screen resolution"

This worked on my Win8 tablet and I'm a happy camper. Note: you need to have a mouse connected for Rebellion to start up. Windows 8 takes patience young padawans, patience. Except for the new start button. That is the spawn of the dark side

• SWR Staff - Executive

It's time to stop playing with VM's and the CD and get a new working copy from Steam or GOG.com (see this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28384 ). Then you can install it on any newer version of Windows from Windows 7 on up, and use it with RebEd too! Also, join us on our new official Discord Channel to converse with your fellow SWR players and get tips from each other.

https://discord.gg/gqTQB5w