Where are they now?

DarthTofu

These forums have been relatively inactive for around four years, now. I imagine we're all in different places than we were way back then. So what's changed with you all?

For me, I'm still up in Indiana, graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering, and just got a new job working as a service engineer with a large machinery company. I get flown out around the world (mostly US) on the company's dime to help with start-up of the equipment (making sure that it's up to spec after shipping, that it's installed properly, and providing training and basic maintenance instructions to the foreman and the operators of the equipment). I'm still new to it, but I'm liking my coworkers and liking that I get to see the world while I'm still young, so that's pretty awesome.

So... who's gotten married, had kids, moved someplace new, gotten a degree, etc?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Welcome back, Tofu. It's been a while.

Relative to when I disappeared (and some of this is not going to be news, but I can't remember what I've updated on, and I'm too lazy to go back and look), I graduated with a BS in Psychology, got married (no kids, and none in the foreseeable future), received a promotion at work (I'm now management, and implementing programming for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, plus driving all over southwest Wisconsin), my wife and I have bought a house and adopted a dog. We now have three nieces and 3 nephews on her side and 2 nephews on mine. We each have a sibling who will be attending college in town (at my alma mater) starting after Labor Day.

So who else do we need to have check in? My list includes (and add to it, by all means) SOCL, Tex, Mad, Krytos, Jahled, Scath and JediHunter.

On a side note, have you seen GMC's last ZW2 post? He wrote it and had me edit it before he died, and I finally decided to forget the story's order and proxy-post it for him.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Only time will tell. I figured out who I forgot, for which I'm eternally apologetic. Rob, what's new in your life?

EDIT: Figured out one of those I forgot...D16, you still around?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• 2 weeks later...
So who else do we need to have check in? My list includes (and add to it, by all means) SOCL, Tex, Mad, Krytos, Jahled, Scath and JediHunter.

I've been checking the site regularly, but am usually too lazy to login :oops: Unless something really "piques" my curiosity; like this thread :wink:

It's good to see things are going well for all of you: Tofu, Mitth and Master Xan. Rob has dropped in occasionally, but I haven't seen any of the others in ages. Maybe they'll check in again someday once "Star Wars" starts making a comeback; maybe.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I'll go ahead and be creepy and check in a little bit for Rob and SOCL since I'm facebook friends with them.

Rob is happily married and still living in New York. He's a pretty hardcore Rangers fan still, and he's exploring (or at least posting pictures of) some interesting culinary creations including some form of pizza topped with bits of duck and what appears to be a Mexican dish that involves cooking with beer.

SOCL is also happily married, and appears to be persisting with his perpetual student life, or else keeping up to date with his former university... either way, it made it into his recent posts. He also appears to still be a giant Roman nerd, but none of the most recent pictures feature him in full armor, so I'm going to guess that the conventions have gone by the wayside for him.

Both seem to be doing quite well.

12/14/07

Insomnia for some reason drove me here. Not that I begrudge it, but I would much rather be sleeping.

Yeah, reenactment is a bit of a ways behind me. And yes, "perpetual student" might be the right way to characterize what I'm doing these days, though it has more to do with "I'm wasting my life in jobs I don't particularly care for" than a need to be a student again, haha! I just decided to go back to get my Master's and maybe one day soon by Ph.D. in ancient art history/history/archaeology.

Something like that...

Not sure if I should sympathize with you for the insomnia, or praise it for bringing you back?

In all fairness, insomnia sucks. I seem to have largely gotten over mine with marriage and a good bed. Have you tried sex and/or melatonin?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Not sure if I should sympathize with you for the insomnia, or praise it for bringing you back?
:lol::?

Have you tried sex and/or melatonin?
:lol: It would be unseemly for me to comment on the former, but regarding the latter: I probably should get some sort of supplement. I'm actually going to the store today to get some z-quil in hopes that it will start regulating my sleep cycle. I can barely think straight, which is bad when you're trying to do regular class work and research...

Having tried both, the Melatonin works better for me, as sex seems to just wake me up. Maybe that isn't the case for you. I know my body is weird. (Caffeine knocks me out.) I take 10-15 mg about (and I usually forget to follow this rule) 30 minutes before you want/need to fall asleep. I usually take the 15 mg when I miss my half hour window. I take the pills but a lot of the kiddos I work with are on the liquid. I suppose you could try grinding up the pills and snorting them (on account of mucus membranes absorbing drugs faster than ingestion) is you did want it to take effect sooner. What's nice about Melatonin is that it does occur naturally in the human body. The supplement just gives your body a nice boost. I think they make an extended release version as well, which would help you stay asleep through the night, or day, I suppose, if you work third shift.

If you have questions above and beyond that, consult Google.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Let's call *sex* for what it is... jerking off works for me. :lol:

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Well married doesn't mean you're getting it everytime you're wanting it. I may not be married, but I know enough married people to know that. :lol:

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

This tangent thought is starting to get weird now. [waves hand] "Move along now. These aren't the thoughts we're looking for. Move along" [/wave off]

Rob is happily married and still living in New York. He's a pretty hardcore Rangers fan still, and he's exploring (or at least posting pictures of) some interesting culinary creations including some form of pizza topped with bits of duck and what appears to be a Mexican dish that involves cooking with beer.

Actually, I think Rob and wife are in North Carolina; not sure about which city, but definitely not in NY anymore (at least physically; sports still NY).

:wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I should say, I'm in fairly regular contact with Scathane, Trejiuvanat, Jahled, Lord LaForge, Mad, and The Mask via the Book of Faces. They all seem to be doing pretty well, as far as I can tell. Jahled is still happily a zoological photographer, Mad just got a job offer -- those being the more recent updates that come to mind.

Ergh, since when did I have to click "Notify me when a reply is posted" every time I post? :? Didn't it used to be that you only hit it once and it kept going? :|

Ergh, since when did I have to click "Notify me when a reply is posted" every time I post? :? Didn't it used to be that you only hit it once and it kept going? :|

Pretty sure it has always been based on your global settings. If your default is set to no notification the global setting trumps previous contradictions in that thread to the rule.

Did that make sense? My train of thought encountered some issues along the route.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I should say, I'm in fairly regular contact with Scathane, Trejiuvanat, Jahled, Lord LaForge, Mad, and The Mask via the Book of Faces.

That's quite a few, and all first gen members. I'm kinda sad that The Mask let his website lapse; it was nice to know it was there in case things got exciting again. But alas, all good things must pass ... :(

I should say, I'm in fairly regular contact with Scathane, Trejiuvanat, Jahled, Lord LaForge, Mad, and The Mask via the Book of Faces.

That's quite a few, and all first gen members. I'm kinda sad that The Mask let his website lapse; it was nice to know it was there in case things got exciting again. But alas, all good things must pass ... :(

First generation. So what am I, second generation? :lol:

I actually didn't realize Mask had his own website. I can ask him about it, if you have any particular questions, Tex: he and I are in regular contact with each other -- probably more than the others.

On another note, have you guys done any SWR get-togethers? I know Mask traveled to England and got together with Jahled and (I think) Elvis. I also know that LaForge, Mask, and Scath got together not too long ago in Rotterdam -- sadly, I couldn't make it because of yet another wedding... :x Also some -- what was it, 2 years ago? -- Mitth and his wife visited D.C. and we all got together for dinner and drinks. Good times!

It will be three years at the end of next month. I haven't met anyone else in the real world, and with the amount of driving I do now for work I'm not sure how far I'd be willing to go to meet up with people. I suppose if enough people were getting together somewhere reasonably close I could probably swing by.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

It will be three years at the end of next month. I haven't met anyone else in the real world, and with the amount of driving I do now for work I'm not sure how far I'd be willing to go to meet up with people. I suppose if enough people were getting together somewhere reasonably close I could probably swing by.
I suppose it's equally unlikely that I'll ever trek to Wisconsin, so that's fair.

With the amount of travel i do, paths may cross. I just went to Texas, Georgia, and Ohio recently. This week is Florida and Georgia again. If time permits, I'd enjoy meeting up for a beer after hours with somebody from the forums.

12/14/07

With the amount of travel i do, paths may cross. I just went to Texas, Georgia, and Ohio recently. This week is Florida and Georgia again. If time permits, I'd enjoy meeting up for a beer after hours with somebody from the forums.

You ever hit South Dakota, let me know.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"