playing Rebelion on windows 7

legov

Question

13 answers to this question

• SWR Staff - Executive

It's time to stop playing with VM's and the CD and get a new working copy from Steam or GOG.com (see this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28384 ). Then you can install it on any newer version of Windows from Windows 7 on up, and use it with RebEd too! Also, join us on our new official Discord Channel to converse with your fellow SWR players and get tips from each other.

https://discord.gg/gqTQB5w

Download VirtualBox and get a copy of XP 32-bit. Google for a VirtualBox guide. Install Rebellion like normal. No need for all the headaches of running straight on the host OS.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

@budious - Does a VM allow multiplayer over the internet? With GameRanger for example?

I got it working on my win7 64 using the refreshed and reloaded x86/x64 package (Are you the same Budious who created that?)

Personally I didn't think the steps to do that were overly taxing from a technical viewpoint (just copy all the CD files, add the d3drm file, replace the exe file, use the registry merge file and away you go) but that's only my opinion.

As long as you have everything configured correctly the remote computers connecting to your VM should not know the difference between a host OS or a guest OS. I'm not familar with GameRanger, but if the guest OS is supported and you have properly configured the guest OS and your network then it should work as it would on a real hardware.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Nah, nothing could be more complicated than using that package. :P

I was merely suggesting make sure VirtualBox is setup to use Bridged networking mode so the guest OS network adapter gets its own IP address on your local network and looks like any other PC on your home network. Open up the appropriate ports for the guest OS's IP address in the guest OS firewall and open the required ports on the router. Basically, the same networking prerequisites as you would need for the host OS to work online.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Other benefits to running in VirtualBox is you can scale the interface, and multi-task.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4869/swrebellion.png

Windows 8 :roll:

Tried the preview version for about 10 minutes and promptly deleted it. Steve Ballmer needed to be canned a long time ago and Windows 8/RT is just further proof of that. Anyways, you can't get me off linux these days, so VirtualBox on linux, ftw.

A linux junkie, eh? I want to love linux. I really do. Then I try and do anything remotely complicated in it. Some day, somebody will get a linux distro that matches what Windows can do whilst retaining the command-line features and customization of linux. Some day.

Out of curiosity, what distro is your favorite? Is it Fedora, like the screenshot above, or something else (since that is a pretty old screenshot)?

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

The screenshot is a couple years old was Windows 2008 R2 Server as host OS, Fedora 15 with LXDE as full-screen guest OS running on right monitor, and Windows XP SP3 32-bit guest OS running in windowed mode with Rebellion playing on the left monitor's Windows destkop.

Running Fedora 16 with Gnome3 as my host OS now, I know it's out of date, and I have been meaning to upgrade, but I'm seeding 1774 torrents at the moment and got several 11.5 TBs of encrypted storage I don't feel like messing about with. Each has its has it short comings, for Microsoft, other than maintaining cash flow, there is no reason you couldn't maintain XP for another 20 years and there be a lot of happy corporate customers, I suppose if I could be given XP with endless support or at least until 2040 I might still use it.

I almost asked what torrents you were seeding. Then decided against it. Likewise with all that encrypted data.

Your comments about XP made me curious. How old does an OS have to be before its age actually makes it more secure? I mean, if I'm a script kitty, do any of the scripts you find online still include easy hacks for breaking into Windows 95? If I'm a corporate thief or professional hacker, would I even bother with a system running Windows 95? Or would such people just assume there is nothing worth stealing on it?

Following that logic, there could come a time where XP is, functionally, as secure as the newest OS, even without continual security patches... 8O

As for Fedora, maybe I'll give it a try. It is one distro I haven't used yet.

Mostly just DVD-Rs for lots of crappy b-movies.

I don't know about the number of vulnerabilities still available for Windows 95, but I wouldn't take a chance on it. You can download an automated pentesting suite like metasploit which more than likely has a number of modules that could auto-hack an end-of-life patched Windows 95. Depending on your firewall, and browsing habits, it would probably only be a matter of minutes to hours before something wormed its way onto your system if you installed Windows 95 and connected it to the open Internet. This would be a good experiment to conduct in a VM if you got a Windows 95 disc around, I tossed mine out or I'd try next time I was bored. :D

Yep, I've used metasploit and Backtrack 5. Handy stuff, those.

My thought wasn't that Windows 95 would be secure against an actual attack. Only that fewer people would bother attacking, and some of the script kitties wouldn't have the tools to break it. I'm sure it would take somebody about two minutes in Backtrack to take your whole system over.