Problems with Rebellion on WIN8

LDM

Question

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to get Rebellion to work on WIN8 yet. While I've managed to get it to work, it doesn't work very well graphically. All the pictures and icons are upside down and the colors look as though they are reversed. Has anyone experienced something similar on WIN8 or WIN7 x64? I've tried compatibility modes, making changes to the registry, and altering graphic card settings but it always looks wrong. I followed the instructions for the Vista x64/WIN7 install from this forum multiple times with no success. Anyone with any ideas would be great, I really want to make this work without having to dual boot XP or something like that on my new laptop.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Download the Fix at https://swrebellion.link/fix 

Expand Rebellion Fix package by TruthRealm#9465

Expand Star Wars - Rebellion.zip to same folder as REBEXE.EXE

Right-click REBEXE.EXE
Properties
- Compatibility tab
-- Change settings for all users
-- uncheck all boxes
-- Apply
-- OK

Shift + Right-click REBEXE.EXE
Pin to Taskbar
Send to Desktop (create shortcut)

Shift + Right-click the Taskbar Pin or shortcut file you've just created
Properties
- Shortcut
--Target: \REBEXE.EXE" -w
-- Apply
-- OK

Enclosed in this patch archive you will find nested Star Wars - Rebellion.zip which contains:

basegame:

v00.01.00002.0000

REBEXE.exe

Original Rebellion Executable by CoolHand

Rebellion Refresh Executable by Rebellion Reloaded team

-- "Package Features (Rebellion Refresh)

- Icon updated for XP and newer operating systems. (48x48 w/ 32bpp) Created by Mad78

- Performance optimizations to executables allow DLL and MDATA file access from installation folder.

- Application manifest data added to executables to conform to Vista UAC specifications.

- REBEXE.EXE is now identified as version 1.02 to reflect these changes, built on 1.00 for stability."

Retained Mode:

v05.02.03790.0000

d3drm.dll

Direct3D Retained Mode by Microsoft

Tactical:

v02.63.00001.0000

DDraw.dll

D3DImm.dll

DirectDraw + Direct3D Immitation by dgvoodoo

Download the Fix at https://swrebellion.link/fix 

Same thing here. I really start to hate Windows 8! My computer isn't some frigging iPhone, bring back the start button and please stop messing around with backward compatibility! Now, rebellion is screwed on my laptop. They do piss me off!

• SWR Staff - Executive
No idea, sorry

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Hi!

I have samt issue on win 8 x64. Game launches fine but the icons are up side down and

colors blurred. (+ long droid talk)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

It would be great playing this game again!! Used a lot of hours in the 90's .

Best Wishes

Peter

Ideas are useless if not used!

This is definitely a WIN8 issue. I took my laptop back to WIN7 and setup Rebellion on a x64 version. It works perfectly under WIN7. I played with it for a long time on WIN8 to try to make it work but it always comes up with the off colors and upside-down graphics. I don't know at this point what causes it, but I wonder if Microsoft took something out of WIN8 in regard to the DLL files necessary to run the graphics properly. I'll continue to play with it when I have the time, but at this point I'm keeping my laptop on WIN7 until a full resolution of the issue can be found.

Install OracleVM virtualbox (free)

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Dig-out your install CD from a previous version of windows.

Find your CD key

Install your windows through virtualbox.

Use a USB drive to transfer whatever files you want or a CD to install Rebellion on-it. It does work!

Hi again!

I was more hoping there was a solution to the "graphical" glitch in Rebellion under Win 8.

Everything else seems to work ok.

Just not fun playing with icons up side down and fuzzy colors.

Best wishes

Peter

Where do you expect to get support for this 1998 unsupported game anywhere except from here? If you have a clue where this miracle solution is going to come from, would you mind sharing with-us? Till then, I'm enjoying a flawless playthrough within my virtual computer installed on Win8 :D

Best regards,

Phil

This is a DirectDraw problem, similar to the problems we were having when we first got it running on Windows 7. There is a hack available that fixes everything, but you are pretty much restricted to running it in a window for now. I havent figured out how to get full screen going just yet.

Check out this page: http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/

just extract the ddraw.dll and the ddraw.cfg into your rebellion folder, and it should run just fine. you may play with the config file to see if you get a better result, but I didn't have much luck.

To make the game run in a window, just create a shortcut to the exe, and add a "-w" after the quotes. (but without the quotes, check the picture)

http://darthcircuit.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/rebellionwin8.png

Edited by darthcircuit

Maybe you could replace your screenshot with a "thumbnail link" so it doesn't take up several screens to see? :?

Just my two-bits worth :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

This is a DirectDraw problem, similar to the problems we were having when we first got it running on Windows 7. There is a hack available that fixes everything, but you are pretty much restricted to running it in a window for now. I havent figured out how to get full screen going just yet.

just extract the ddraw.dll and the ddraw.cfg into your rebellion folder, and it should run just fine. you may play with the config file to see if you get a better result, but I didn't have much luck.

To make the game run in a window, just create a shortcut to the exe, and add a "-w" after the quotes. (but without the quotes, check the picture)

So I didn't notice this thread when I made the other win8 thread last week, but since then I've tried one of the fixes from win7 which got me to the problem described in this thread, and the patch above fixed the icons and some sound; I still get the "path to video manager unknown", and as soon as I get to the actual game screen I get this error, "Star Wars Rebellion Refresh has stopped working" and the game closes, any ideas where I'm screwing up at?

Edited by Evaders99
why so big font: evaders99

So I didn't notice this thread when I made the other win8 thread last week, but since then I've tried one of the fixes from win7 which got me to the problem described in this thread, and the patch above fixed the icons and some sound; I still get the "path to video manager unknown", and as soon as I get to the actual game screen I get this error, "Star Wars Rebellion Refresh has stopped working" and the game closes, any ideas where I'm screwing up at?

correction the video error says "PathName to VideoManager unknown"

Sorry if the large font takes up too much space, its just much easier on my eyes, I'll post in smaller font next time, if its a problem.

Edited by Evaders99
why so big font: evaders99

have you tried the steps posted here: viewtopic.php?t=27471

Download the "Rebellion Refreshed and Reloaded Ultimate Package (x86/x64)"http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html, and the Reloaded TC.

Unzip the package (it has all the "extra" files you'll need), and use it to complete the instructions below:

x64 Users

- Open the Star Wars Rebellion cd in explorer.

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Right-Click on the file Rebellion_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Download the TC beta and follow the directions included in README.

- Rename C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded.

- Move C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\star Wars Reloaded.

- Right-Click on the file Reloaded_x64.reg and select the merge option.

- Delete REBEXE.EXE from C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Copy RELOADED.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded

- Manually create a new desktop shortcut pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Reloaded\RELOADED.EXE

- Open the Star Wars Rebellion cd in explorer.

- Copy everything from D:\Rebellion to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Copy REBEXE.EXE to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion, Click Yes to replace.

- (Vista users only) Copy the d3drm.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion

- Create a Rebellion desktop shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBEXE.EXE

- Take a deep breathe, make a choice, click either Rebellion or Reloaded shortcut and relax

Also, try copying d3drm.dll and smackw32.dll from the rebellion disc to your rebellion installation directory. (C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion)

Also, try running the game as administrator.

Also, I just found out that if you run the game windowed in the first place, you may not need the ddraw.dll hack i posted earlier.

Hi darthcircuit !!

...And tx. Your solotion with the ddraw.dll solved the graphics problem. The game runs fine on Win 8 (with reb. refresh package) (just force in 640x480 via reb.exe)

And remove the impbriff.dll / albrief.dll to avoid long briefing.

Just one problem remains....

The in game manual combat, - when i try to run the manuel battles the game stops (action not supported!)

Might you have an idea here too?

Tx again for help playing this classic.

Peter

I just installed rebellion on a Acer Aspire One 725 net book with W8 and got it running fine. At first it would also have the small icons upside down and reverse color. I ran it with the "reb.exe -w" switch in window mode to get it to work. I used not the graphics hack of ddraw.

The battle in 3D manually work fine too. I also have Rebellion run in W XP 3 mode with 480*640 tagged. It made one message to "incorrect palette color" but continued to run fine with proper color. No crashes and return to normal 2D game run after it was done.

So it will (possible) at least on my machine to run the 3D battles. There is that error message that briefly shows up then proceeds to play normally, instead of crashing as you experience. Also I checked run as administrator. :?

I again!

The hack files darthcircuit refers to..... (http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/) only contains one ddraw.dll. Then is also contains a ddhack.cfg file.

Do I have to edit the ddhack.cfg file to get Rebellion to work?

As mentioned i get "action not supported" when trying to start manual combat in the game. Everything else works fine.

Hope for assistance! =)

It would seem your directX functions are not working. Are you sure you have the exact file d3drm.dll installed? It is not the same file. It must be installed manually also since the new version of DX does not contain it. Without it, you will absolutely not have any 3D battles.

Hi Slocket!

I have the d3drm.dll in the folder too......and the smackw32.dll

Everything works fine EXCEPT the manual battles!!!!!

So it puzzles me what I am missing 8O

Best regards

Peter

you may try playing without the ddraw hack that i posted. If you just force it to run in a window (-w switch in shortcut), it seems to fix the graphics problem. the ddraw hack was made for starcraft, so it's may not work in the 3d portions of the game. to be honest i usually autocalc battles. I haven't really tried that portion out yet.

Hi Darthcircuit!

I have tryed inserting the following in the ddhack.cfg as mentioned in the readme:

bilinear - smoothed graphics

halfnhalf - first upscaled, then bilinear interpolated graphics (wc1/wc2 only)

showlogo - keep the ddhack logo on screen

subtleoldlcd - subtle trails on graphics

oldlcd - trails on graphics

veryoldlcd - very trippy trails on graphics

wc3scandouble - scan-double deinterlace wc3 videos

wc3blurvideo - run a box blur filter on video

wc3smallvid - render videos in smaller resolution surrounded by black borders (-no_interlace only)

altwinpos - alternate window position; may help if you get a black screen

.....with no result, - still giving me the "Action not supported" when trying to take manual control in battles.

Since you so elegantly supported the "grapical glitch" solution, i was also hoping you could "solve the rest".

Merry Christmas

Peter