The easy way to run Rebellion on Win7

Dragoon09

Question

I've been reading this thread and wanted to add something I stumbled upon. I am running Win7 on a toshiba laptop with good video and audio drivers.

To play Rebellion in Win7 you don't need to install Virtual XP or Virtual Box. Just setup your REBEXE to run in compatibility mode for WinXP SP2 and you will need the dr3dm.dll file (available here on this site)

http://www.swrebellion.com/downloads/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5

Should only take a few minutes.

Here's How I did it:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel

2. Click Programs -> Run Programs Made for Previous Versions of Windows

3. After it "detects Issues" you will see a list of installed programs.

4. Select "Not Listed" and click Next

5. Browse to Program Files -> Lucas Arts -> REBEXE.exe

6. It will auto select the proper settings and Windows mode (for me it setup as WinXP SP2)

7. Test the game for a few minutes (use Ctrl + Alt + Del to exit if need be) then hit next

8. Click Save Settings and Your Done. Enjoy!

Note: The only issue I've come across is the not being able to skip the intro. But this should still be easily fixed with the EMPSPRITE.dll hack mentioned in other threads. And in all fairness, I don't play out space battles, just sim them and hence would not know if they work well or not.

If anyone has other issues, let us know.

5 answers to this question

You can't even install on 64 bit without doing special stuff, so I don't think this will work for 64 bit users.. And since the game doesn't use any of the 64 bit advantages, it should run pretty much the same on either version (once you get it running at all, that is).

Still, good directions for 32 bit users.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Rebellion will not natively install on W7 64 bit by itself as for my experience also. I can only copy the data over and use a hack to get it to run. It may very well install onto a 32 bit system though. I then edit the registry manually so the Editors (RebEd) will and can find it.

The reason why Rebellion cannot install normally onto 64 bit is the way the registry is set up, there is an extra "/Wow6432Node/" folder in the line that has to be there. There is no way for the Rebellion installer made in 1998 could account /anticipate for this future change. It would seem like...time travel. :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Star Wars Rebellion]

"TooBigLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"DllLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"DataLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"InstalledLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\"

"EncyLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\Star Wars Rebellion\\EDATA"

To be honest, I never did get it working properly in Win7 64. I got Rebellion itself working, but could not make RebEd work. Eventually gave up and went to a VM instead. I suspect that's how I'll have to play most old games in the future anyway. Its impractical to try and use hacks for all of them, and there isn't much reason for Microsoft to support old software they aren't making any money off of. Too bad its so difficult to make VMs do 3D graphic rendering; early 3D games like Dominion Wars are darn near impossible to get working in a VM, and even harder on a modern OS.

Course, the hardest are the 16bit Windows games in a modern OS. Have to go VM for that.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"