Rebellion in Windows 7

Lightrunner

Question

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Anyone have any tips on how to use RebEd for this special Win X7 solution? Whenever I try to load a card, it says I need the full version of Rebellion. I have the HOME edition, so I can't use the virtual P.C. mode.......

Hey guys, I used the solution in this thread to install Rebellion, and it kind of works, but like some of the others I can't seem to be able to load cards in RebEd. It tells me I need a complete install.

Can anyone help with this please?

:? Couldn't find a reply to this question so I will post my issue here. Capitol ships will not render :( . Fighters and shots fired can be seen though. Did anyone have a fix for this? Or a link to where it is already answered?

Interesting side note: I noticed that with the rendering problem that although the Capitol ships will fire at anything in range they will not move from starting positions. Fighters and bombers are the only ones to move around the map and attack fighters/bombers or capitol ships. given enough bombers and lancer frigates I can prevent the AI from taking a planet.

Would just like to say thanks for all the great info posted here. I'm having an issue with spaceship combat. Running Windows 7 premium, and followed all the above advice, game loads fine, get into space ship combat fine, even the combat itself is fine. After combat though I immediatly get a generic program not working error message check online for a solution etc, and the game crashes. This occurs in both multiple player and single player games. If anyone else had this problem and has a work around, would really appreciate it. Thank ya!

@fuelinjected: It sounds like the game is not recognizing your video card correctly. First, try and update your video drivers. It may not help, but its worth a try. I have no idea why the ships would stay put, never moving... have you tried reinstalling the game? Are you using any mods?

@Garothe: Did you change any of the original ship models? The error you are describing happens when some models are used. So far as I know, nobody knows why, and its different models for different people. Restore the basic models and try again.

If you haven't changed the ship models, I would also ask you to check your video card drivers. I know, it sounds stupid and basic. But you'd be surprised how often it solves problems. I had a problem with my laptop not recognizing secondary displays; turns out the last driver had a bug in it. After a month they released a fixed version, and my lappy worked properly again.

SUGGESTION TO EVERYONE:

If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you may find it far easier to install and play Rebellion in XP Mode. If you don't like XP Mode, or you don't have one of those versions of Win7, there are several ways to install other old operating systems- either as a dual boot, or in a virtual environment. Like Oracles VM VirtualBox. I personally use VirtualBox and an old copy of Windows 2000 Pro I had lying around for all my old games. Its not always possible to make them work in Win7, and is often easier to get things going in the environment they were designed for anyway.

I must warn you, if you aren't tech savvy, using a VM like VirtualBox is probably not a good idea. Following the directions for XP Mode shouldn't prove too hard.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Alright. Got the game working now. Thanks! However, when I attempt to do anything in RebEd, I receive an error message: http://i36.tinypic.com/2pzlf1c.jpg

It will show this with the corresponding .dat file whenever I click on a button in RebEd. Does the workaround for Rebellion just negate RebEd's existence altogether, or did I wind up botching something else?

Thanks again to all the people who actually know what they're doing. So many people would be lost without you.

check this -> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27854&p=546096#p546096

So got Rebellion: Reloaded up and running on the Windows 7 but after about an hour of playing the screen will randomly freeze. I can here incoming messages and what not but cannot access anything, cannot view the main menu to save, nothing. The only way to get out of it is starting the task menu and shutting down the game. Any1 have similar issues and if so fixes?

I have the blackscreen MDATA error that I can spacebar around.. but I can't do an actual install... which prevents me from editing the game at all. Rather sucks because the AI needs some serious handicapping to make it a challenge. I'm assuming I also can't run any TC's due to this other than the 1.5 version that was posted up. But that's actually easier than the normal game cuz I think the AI gets confused over what ship is what(it's fleet must've been stuck in hyperspace for ages lugging golans around with it :P). If anyone has a fix for windows 7 that allows a full install.. I'd love to hear it.

Edit:

After following this next step i no longer can save or load games :/

3. Right click the Rebellion_x64.reg file and click merge. (If your program files is on a different drive you'll need to edit this reg file)

• SWR Staff - Executive
Did you modify your reg file (assuming your programs files path is incorrect) as stated there?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I had the game running w/o doing that part that I posted. However.. was wanting to somehow get the editor working.. so I figured maybe I should do that part too and try. The only thing I did was merge the thing like it said. Now the game is unstable and I can't save or load anything. How do I unmerge it?

Ok, I found another file just like that one.. I merged it after redoing everything else. Now I can save games again.

Okay, 2 options: you may need to put the new .exe from budious (and I think you need a .dll too, don't remember which) .

If you are playing my mod, notice that the game path is different from original. If you want to edit-it, you will need to change the path.

Option 2 is to make a new install of my mod.

Really important: the MDATA error can be corrected. Follow the instructions! This path: _Rebellion1.5_Mod_Alphav3\_Important

it contains 2 files. One will activate editing, the other one will activate movies, which is the reason you get the MDATA error.

Actually my issues here were for the base game and running it, not your mod. But, it's resolved now. Dunno what I did to fix it, but everything seems to work more or less again(other than being able to do a full install and use RebEd).

Hey everyone!

First post here, because it seems that for me none of the workarounds seem to work.

When I insert the disc, I get the known message that the program is not compatible with 64 bit, and so on... (I use Win7 Home Premium, so the XP mode won't work for me either.)

Then I tried copying the REBELLION folder to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" just as described. But there I'm facing the same problem as someone else stated: The folder appears to be 12 GB, and windows gets stuck on copying.

Next I tried the suggestion of creating an .iso file from the disc, and then copying everything from the .iso. But at approximately 50% of creating the .iso, I get repeated reading errors. At first I thought it might be a scratched CD, but it's completely flawless, and when I look at the silver side of disc, there seems to be a little track in the middle, that looks different from the rest... I guess that's the copy protection?!

Is there any chance to copy the REBELLION folder despite of this? I just wanna play this game again! XD

Hey everyone!

Is there any chance to copy the REBELLION folder despite of this? I just wanna play this game again! XD

Two options.

One: What did you use to make the .iso? Different programs will yield different results. Try a new program and see if it still hangs at 50%. I recommend Daemon Tools Lite, but there are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of programs you could try.

Option one has the benefit of being quick to try and completely free.

Two: Download VMware and load an old version of Windows. Try Windows 98, Windows 2000, or XP. If you don't have a copy lying around, you can probably find one for fairly cheap at thrift stores, places that sell used software, or online (Ebay anyone?).

Option two has the benefit of working for sure. I run Rebellion under VMware, no special settings, mods, or anything required. Its also free, so long as you have an old version of Windows.

This is a guide you can use to make Rebellion run even better in a VM. The steps here are optional, and primarily used for getting full-screen instead of windowed mode. If you want, you can just change your screen resolution and get similar results.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Hi,

I just registered to post here. I am having the same problem a previous user posted about. I have a Vista x64 system. I followed the instructions in the first post for installing Rebellion. When I launch the game the screen goes black and nothing happens. I can't get out of it and I have to force restart the computer. I tried hitting he spacebar based on a previous comment that said it might be the intro movie trying to load. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

okay, been away from this site and rebellion for quite a while now. been working off a crappy vista laptop. was just looking into a new pc, most available with win7 home premium, so no virtual xp mode. don't feel like shelling out for vmware just for the player that only has a 30 day trial if dowloaded for free. after reading this whole thread, sounds like there are still some problems after going through all the work around, like having to sit through that damn driod intro and having problems with rebed and modding even if someone gets rebellion to play perfectly on win7 or a virtual OS. used to play rebellion A LOT and had my own tc in the works. i'm looking to start over again. i built three of my own systems starting with win95, win98, and winxp home, and still have all the disks. when i built my xp system, i had it multiboot optioned with 95 and 98 as well, to play some of my really old games that didn't even want to play on xp. i did have some problems with peripherals and drivers but just disabled thier ports and such depending which os i wanted to use. pain in the butt to go into bios all the time to shut down usb ports and such, but once you learn your bios, its easy.

so, with all the problems i've read about, and having found a great how to page on howtogeek.com, am i safe in assuming that if i don't want to have any problems running rebellion on a win7 system, and also to use rebed and all the other modding and old modelling software that i was used to years ago without any of the problems described in this long thread, my best bet would be to partition what is sure to be my terabyte hard drive and install at least winxp home if not an even older version or two and dedicate it to rebellion for years to come? multi boot seems pretty easy on win7, not much different than xp except for needing a free program to set up the multiboot screen after the older version bootlogger overwrites win7's. i just want to be able to play bug free, full screen, and get started eventually on another total conversion of my own at some point.

think i'm on the right track just setting up my win7 home premium to multiboot into my older operating systems for my ancient games, or think it's worth it to upgrade to win7 pro or ult and shell out the cash for a good virtual player to switch back into older win versions. if i'm playing rebellion, i don't need any of the abilities of win7, just need rebellion to work right, have a browser to come onto this sight and do star wars reasearch, and have enough hard drive space for lots of game saves, picture, video, and model archives, and programs that i need to mod the game without all the bugs everybody else seems to be having.

opinions very welcome, thanks everybody :)

Hey all, had a quick question. I have Win 7 with XP mode running rebellion. The game runs fine, but sometimes when I try to enter a space battle (like if I'm not sure of the outcome) The whole screen goes black like it's frozen. After awhile I'll hear the audio of the fleet coming in, but nothing changes on screen. I usually have to close the game down and lose whatever data I hadn't save. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Update your video drivers?
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Well I have to admit defeat. I've tried everything in this thread. The new REBEXE just did not work. I even went out and bought a full upgrade for Windows 7 from Home to Pro.

XP Mode? No, Rebellion refused to work.

My ONLY option left is to fork out another £50-£70 , and buy a second hand machine with Windows XP installed, and use that to play Rebellion on.

This I will do as I love this game, but I cannot believe it has been made virtually impossible to play with Windows 7.

I'm pretty pissed off. :evil:

You have failed me for the last time.

I tried to follow the instructions in the first post to get this game to work on Windows 7. whenever i try to run the program I get an error message saying the the CD-Rom cannot be found. I'm pretty NOT smart when it comes to trying to get things like this work, but really want to play this game again! any help would be appreciated.

Then you simply download off the net a copy of that smacker video codec (used to play those older video clips) and place it in your system folder so the program can find it. :wink:

put the file into the Windows/System32 file
not the Rebellion folder in case it does not work try both locations. It will not hurt to have more than one copy. It simply is where the exe is looking for it. Nothing more.

@Imperator2 -------Let exe have "administrative rights" to run is another not so obvious prevents the reb.exe from even starting.

I've been reading this thread and wanted to add something I stumbled upon. I am running Win7 on a toshiba laptop with good video and audio drivers.

To play Rebellion in Win7 you don't need to install Virtual XP or Virtual Box. Just setup your REBEXE to run in compatibility mode for WinXP SP2 and you will need the dr3dm.dll file (available here on this site)

http://www.swrebellion.com/downloads/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5

Should only take a few minutes.

Here's How I did it:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel

2. Click Programs -> Run Programs Made for Previous Versions of Windows

3. After it "detects Issues" you will see a list of installed programs.

4. Select "Not Listed" and click Next

5. Browse to Program Files -> Lucas Arts -> REBEXE.exe

6. It will auto select the proper settings and Windows mode (for me it setup as WinXP SP2)

7. Test the game for a few minutes (use Ctrl + Alt + Del to exit if need be) then hit next

8. Click Save Settings and Your Done. Enjoy!

Note: The only issue I've come across is the not being able to skip the intro. But this should still be easily fixed with the EMPSPRITE.dll hack mentioned in other threads. And in all fairness, I don't play out space battles, just sim them and hence would not know if they work well or not.

If anyone has other issues, let us know.

I've been to this site several times over the years but never actually logged in and posted anything. I wanted to say thank you to all of you that have made it easier for me to play Rebellion! I love this game so much.

I do have it working now on both VirtualBox and my native Win7 x64 system using the instructions here. but I have one issue I was hoping someone would recognize: On my VirtualBox install, the game freezes up now and then for 5 to 15 minutes at a time. What is wierd is that it's not a normal freeze. It still lets me open windows and things (in rebellion) but I can't issue any commands, or change the speed of the game, or go to the system menu. So I usually click on system menu, and then ist and wait. I'll know it's ready for me when the sytem menu screen pops up again.

This is really annoying, and I"d much rather play it on my virtualbox because of the window control it gives me. Does anyone have any suggestions?