new tool:Star Wars Rebellion Data Editor (swrde)

errantone

Hmm, this looks promising. I'd recommend opening your source code for the sake of the community, so that your program won't end up abandoned like RebEd. Also if people have access to the source code, they can help you with bug hunting and adding features (it'd be great if someone incorporated karukaze's tweaks for example).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't seem to get these links to work...something missing?
His mishappen head, lidless eyes and twisted, hunched back distanced him even further from what the Masters had wanted. It was obvious from the get-go that Exedore Formo would never be a warrior. But they did need a lawgiver…

The version he posted wasn't feature rich, RebEd was still better. Given the author hasn't worked on the project anymore, maybe he could be convinced to make it an open source project?

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

• 1 year later...
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase make the variable limits unsigned long, to capacity of 4 billion or so. What I mean is RebEd doesn't let you save values over 32k, if you increase this limit to 4KKK in your editor I'd reeeaaaly appreciate it. Also the the HP slot in tab three of the cap ship editor doesn't save the added value. I've tried rewriting the dat file too. That value fails to save for some reason.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase make the variable limits unsigned long, to capacity of 4 billion or so. What I mean is RebEd doesn't let you save values over 32k, if you increase this limit to 4KKK in your editor I'd reeeaaaly appreciate it. Also the the HP slot in tab three of the cap ship editor doesn't save the added value. I've tried rewriting the dat file too. That value fails to save for some reason.

Are you saying the Hull Rating value is not being stored? That is not working? If I change it from say 1200 to 12000 it is not actually saving the new value and you verified this in game?

EDIT: I tested it in game, the editor and Hull values are for real and they do work in game. Are you speaking about something else?

There is a slot in tab three of the window that edits cap ships. It has a slot that can be edited. The others show values but can't be edited. Hull rating saves alright, no problem. But that slot has a '?' next to it. So its an unrecognised variable. But I'm still interested in editing it. I've noted that the SSD has a value of 120 for it and the death star one of 250. If you alter the proggy so it saves too it'd be real nice. Then I could find out what its for. Also, like I said, if you could alter the upper cap the program admits for ALL values I'd really appreciate it. Things like shield strength and hull value and weapons. I'd love the cap to be 4 billion which fits inside a ulong. But even 2 billion is OK.

The thing is RebEd 'does' let you alter the values beyond the 32K range, but only one at a time. Using this I've set values as high as 1 billion and they work, both in the strategy portion and tactical part. Rebellion has no problems. That led me to guess that the programmers used a ulong to hold the stat data. Ofcourse its just a request!

Oh and in my current game the rebels have abducted the emperor right from under the nose of Coruscant's huge garrison, hive of squads, and immense fleet packed with command personnel. How do they do it. 'Spect Vader's on his way to discipline... gak... *choke*...pleaaa... !!!

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nice tool. It even shows the raw data for the planets x,y co-ordinates. Even though I never figured out how they translate per sey to the screen. They have an odd offset to them, so I just used a Print Mousex(), Mousey() off the game screen to get the final x,y absolute in a 1024*768 resolution.

Use the GalaxyMapper Tool to make your own custom Galaxy. I set it up for at least 300 planets, but it is not set in stone. It just it gets real crowded beyond that ( at 1024 res) and I would need to use a different background GUI and maybe a higher resolution to go to 300+.

Is Erratone still working on this SWRE that he made? It is has been since 2007 for this thread. I remember when he made this about 1 or 2 years ago.

• 9 months later...

It's been a while.....

Hi Anyone who remembers this program & thread. Is the program useful anymore? Has something better came out in the 2-3 years since this was released? I might have some time resurrect this from the dead IF there is still interest.

If there is interest, I'll look for the old source (.net 2.0, c#) and look it over. I thought I lost my rebellion CD over a year ago, but finally found it. With the data files, I'll be able to make some mods, if there is still interest. Anything big happen in rebellion over the last 2-3 years? I vaguely remember a number of significant modding efforts going on.

Post something if you are interesting in using/giving feedback on what's already there and what you want to see in the future.

May the force be with you!

EO

Yes there is interest

Please use Ulongs for big values something rebed doesn't do

make all values editable as then we can find out what does what

Cool program man.

Can you be more specific on which fields you want large values? It may or not be possible because because of game limitations. A particular value might be 16 or 32 bit and could be interpreted as a signed or unsigned value by rebellion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated and reposted SWRDE as Beta2.0 ( http://ul.to/c3fsyb ). The update includes a few bug fixed mentioned by others in Beta1.2. Also in this release are a couple of new features:

*Hyperspace speeds for characters, troops etc... can now be modified

*Distribution of facilities in core or rim worlds can now be modified (files SYFCRMTB.DAT SYFCCRTB.DAT). I suggest making small changes testing the results. Also noticed crashes with even small adjustments of values. Not sure why..... ***save a copy of the original DAT file before making changes *** BUG: OK button on these forms does NOT save changes. If you want to save your changes use the 'save as' button. This was done to avoid accidental changes while this feature is developed & tested.

The new features can be found on the 'Tools' menu under "Test Code".

If also included the older v1.2 version of SWRDE in this package in case there are any major issues with BETA2.0. If you are using SWRDE for the first time there is also a readme in the BETA1.2 zip file.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

8O8O8O BETA TESTERS NEEDED!!! 8O8O8O

Been working on an update to allow changes to CNUNALTB.DAT to change rebel starting forces via a GUI. Once I know this works well enough I'll adapt it to work with all four CNUN**TB.DAT files. This update allows 0..n units to be added to the file and each capital ship can be equipped with troops, fighters and spec ops units up to the ship max capacity. I'm wrapping up initial testing today and want to get a couple of people who can commit to testing this within the next couple of days. Ideally, I could get feedback prior to Saturday night. I want to release Sunday. I'm doing some 'sane' testing, but want to get feedback like I added 20,50,100 entries, with some with fighters, troops, spec ops units anything that causes SWR(or the editor) to crash. The goal is to allow users flexibility but want to avoid obvious crash situations(if we can find them).

email directly to SWRdataEditor at g mail dot com

I know this forum is low volume so no worries if no one sees this in time. I'll still release on Sunday :)

EO

Hi again. I did some quick test on the beta code for systems facilities files. If I change the Core Facility TB from "Construction Yard" to Advanced, it should have changed the HEX value in the file by +3 decimal. But it does not, it changed it from 3 to 4. This is not enough and it causes Rebellion to crash right before the Galaxy Map play area.

The editor does say +3 added, but if you look at the modified file, it is only adding one +1. I hope this feedback helps. It is always nice to have a newer editor and plus more capability. I hope someone else can verify this. :(

I note I back up the original, then use editor to SAVE AS and over write the file. If I change it manually from 3 to 6, it does not crash and I have Advanced Facility at start up.

--I should note, since Advanced facility is not researched from start, you cannot build them, so you only have the initial start up ones randomly. But you can check off the research level to zero so you can build them always.

Should be fixed in next release.

Hi again. I did some quick test on the beta code for systems facilities files. If I change the Core Facility TB from "Construction Yard" to Advanced, it should have changed the HEX value in the file by +3 decimal. But it does not, it changed it from 3 to 4. This is not enough and it causes Rebellion to crash right before the Galaxy Map play area.

I mixed up 3-6 construction/advanced with 1-4shipyard/advanced so there were a few bugs in this area for both rim & core systems. Good catch, thanks!!

--I should note, since Advanced facility is not researched from start, you cannot build them, so you only have the initial start up ones randomly. But you can check off the research level to zero so you can build them always.

I recall reading that some people like to skip the basic facilities and start with advanced ones to speed up the game. So I thought I would allow people to choose what they want, as long as the game allows it.

Thanks for using the program and reporting bugs!

EO

Link to SWRDE Beta 2.1http://ul.to/33o2so

Supports: XP, Vista, Win7 (Tested on XP 32bit, Win7 64bit)

Major Feature (Beta): change CNUNALTB.DAT (rebel random starting units)

Please give feedback on the new UI for CNUNALTB.DAT. It has a very different feel to it and I've attempted to capture make sure that you can not accidentally corrupt your file by selecting the wrong things. Some buttons will only be selectable for capital ships(some units are based on planets) and even then the amount of cargo you can carry depends on the ship capacity. SpecOps units have no known limitations, but i've only tested up to 10 on a ship. Also, I've only added a few units to the existing file, so have not testing adding 10,25,50+

The code for CNUNALTB.DAT was made to be 'mostly' reusable. After you have had a chance to play with it, please let me know what you think. It handles fairly complex 'dat' file rules in the UI, so play with it for a bit then let me know what you think. After getting feedback and when I have time, I want to add the other starting unit files using the same code.

8O Remember BACKUP your CNUNALTB.DAT file before you make changes....just in case.... 8O

Known Bugs:

CNUNALTB.DAT

*Last unit in list - cargo will not save. To work around it, add any other unit with a zero percent chance then go back and update the ship with troops/fighters/SpecOps units.

*If you want to start completely over do NOT delete all units on the list. Add some new ones, then delete any/all of the old ones.

Other Bugs: None that I know of.

Bugs Fixed:

* Fixed problem with Core/Rim world facilities/advanced facilities assignment values.

* Fixed problem with manufacturing facility cost/maint. values not being saved

* You can now use the escape button to close the current/active window (without saving) You must select Exit from the main menu or the close button in the upper right to close application.

Note: Anything under "test code' is still under testing and use at your own risk. Other areas should be 99% ok (nothing is ever 100%) :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Digging up this topic...

So wait, you can modify what units the Rebellion starts with? Or just the ones over certain planets? Is this project still alive?

Not specific planets, but you can change the randomising of garrisons and fleets, the chance for each type of preset unit(a unit can be a capital ship with troops and fighters on it for example) to be created during initialisation.

I figured out some years ago how to do it manually with a hexeditor so it was very nice to see an editor for it as because of the file structure its dreadfully slow to do manually(and far too easy to make mistakes that mess up the files).