Star Wars Rebellion 2: Path to Power

steel

Thats the benefit of XNA. Makes the graphics parts much simpler to code than in say C++ with OpenGL/DirectX. C# is such a nice language to code in. I am also very far from a complete game so you dont have to worry there Slocket. It will be a personal accomplishment and mean a lot to me if I get it to a playable stage though.

My problem is that on top of my 20 hours a week at Uni, I just got 2 jobs which take up around 30 hours per week. So my free time has dwindled to zero. I try and get on and do a chunk a couple of times a week though. I havent actually updated the code on the codeplex website since I upgraded to XNA4, so I should do that soon.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 weeks and almost no work done on my engine. Unfortunately it was semesters end as well as the combination of starting two new jobs. However, 3/4 uni exams done and my work load is cutting back to standard full time hours I should be able to fit in more coding and work on game time.

Been a good break from the coding side of things and ready to dive back in and finish up.

Currently taking a break from production of GUI's and concentrating in creating a workable QuadTree for rendering and collision detection to increase frame-rates and make it far more scalable. GUI work is generally unfun and involves many numbers so its good to get out and work on actual algorithms for a while.

Investigation of getting a QuadTree going. Managed to get it working and working good. Raised FPS heaps. The only problem was that I struggled to get a way to draw 2 of the quads when the camera intersected them without too many calculations to make it not worthwhile. I went back to my old approach and will continue to work using that unless the FPS becomes unbearable.

I fixed a fair few input issues I had and now mouse scrolling and edge scrolling work fine. May add variables so the user can control it however its not really neccessary. Might be time to jump back in to GUI work. Shudder ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello guys.

I want to offer that i will make the characters game pictures.

Once i've talked about this with Slocket too.

I've remade the Reloaded's char pictures at 60-70 %, only 30% of chars lacking to finish.

I have many high quality pictures that i've gathered for my mod, i can offer theese pictures for this project.

http://www.4shared.com/file/cpd6Dbvs/Reloaded_reb_char.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/aJUWuOca/Reloaded_imp_char.html

Here are the remaded characters, try them in REBED. And give a feedback :D

You have been working on this for awhile; I'm afraid I cannot offer programming or graphical help, but if you want feedback on design ideas I will help.

Also, once you reach an alpha build, I can help test for you. I've beta tested five or six commercial games, and helped with the Rebellion Reloaded testing.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a stupendously busy summer for me and my degree(electrical engineering) is not getting any easier. With the time I have between work and study combined with my first child on the way time is slowly running out. I have to decide between knuckling down and knocking this out enough for someone to be convinced that all the hard works done or abandon entirely.

Ive chosen to knuckle down. Over the next few weeks, hopefully Ill have a major release out.

Congrats to Slocket on his output and remake. Starting to look the goods.

More information to come later.

A serious oversight on my part has lead to my game being formatted from my hard drive. This is mildly angering due to the shitload of effort I put into this project. The only offsite backup I had is 6 months old.

This is more than mildly frustrating and all my work over the summer is lost. Ill keep looking but it is a sad day for me if I have lost my work.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why I didn't get an email telling me you had posted...

Steel, that is bad. Very, very bad. If you like, I can be an off-site backup location for you (better than any online backup, 'cause I can periodically annoy the crap out of you until you send me an updated backup).

Yes. Very bad. Major setback but as I posted in the other thread, it has given me a chance to go back and fully clean it all. Nothing I can do about it but move on. I do have access to off-site back up even other hard drive back up but it was just a combination of failure in my process that lead to the loss.

Wont happen again ;)

Sad to hear but as the other poster said, Maybe a chance to make a bad thing good. it does give a person a chance to redo things. I realize many of the things from the old vanilla game people really do not seemed interested in playing with today. So I am going through and basically changing several things to make the game play more interesting. So it will not exactly be Rebellion straight remake. Maybe it may give you time to ask people what they "really" want to play.

I should have realized from being in customer sales, what people SAY what they want is not what they really wanted.

Been a while since I worked with the Rebellion resources but can you tell me how to extract or send me a copy of the bitmaps that contain the stars used to display systems on the main galaxy map Slocket?

I did have a folder full of it all but god knows where it is or how i got it. RebEd only seems to work on strategy.dll and not the others.

I think those are on the site, in the textures area (click RebEd in the toolbar links above, click models, click textures area at the upper part of the screen).

I can't verify that right now, as I'm at school and they've blocked that portion of the site for "gaming". :roll:

I used Resource Hacker to pull the data from the strategy.dll, gokes.dll, and tactical.dll. ResHack only worked under Window XP for me.

Here is a link to download them already in bitmap form.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8p7kc5zljpijc3v RebellionRes.7z open into three files that have most all bitmaps used in game.

I hope that helps you out, steel. That is where I got the star map loyalty stars I used. Starts at bitmap_281.bmp inside RebStrat folder.

• 1 month later...
Its been a rough month for my uni, my units arent quite as easy as I expected. Things are coming along however its still going to take a while. I do keep an eye on things on this site though. Will give a proper update by the end of next month. We will see ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, steel, if you are still around, I would like to say I learned enough XNA 4.0 to program. You are right about XNA, it has the 3D graphics and is kept up to date by Microsoft. It also has lots of library functions so a person could code the game using all the nice stuff such as window forms and tool tip pop ups, etc within a life time. C# is was not so bad to learn from all the tutorials off the web. I finally got a decent hang of C# object oriented language and C# sharp is more stream lined and easier to use than full on C++.

I thought you had some code with this project already IIRC? Do you still have it? Also classes that may work decent or for an idea for data structure? Thanks./ Heck, still interested in doing this? Maybe I can work on it some more -it is open source. :) Cheers.