Rebellion in Windows 7

Lightrunner

Question

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I tried the workaround, windows 7 x64 seems to kill it. I followed all the steps, and what I get...

The game opens to the shuttle. No sound. Starting a new game starts up a series of error dialogs. "Video file not found" which I click a bunch of times to get through. I get to the main command screen, and again, no sound. Before the planets populate, the program crashes. I have windows 7 Ultimate x64, and have also tried compatibility modes, which don't work due to the x64 bit. They all tell me to contact Lucas Arts to see if they make a 64-bit version... not likely.

So... any advice on how to proceed? (Aside from reinstalling XP? I'm tempted, but I'm sick of OS re-installs :<)

It's really strange that you guys are having problems, I'm running natively (XP mode isn't even installed) in Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Did those of you having problems try following the steps in my post on the previous page starting with an empty rebellion folder? (It's exactly what I did to get it working). If you copied everything from the CD smackw32.dll should be in the rebellion folder (66,560 bytes in size) so I don't know why it would say that is missing.

Also make sure you're not running windowed and are running as an admin (when I run rebexe it automatically pops up a UAC dialog, I've not set anything special in the application's properties).

The only things I can think of that may be different is that my files came from a Supremacy CD (UK release) and I have set my UAC down one notch, don't know if that has affected it.

I've worked out what the problem I had in windowed mode is. As you can see from this image:

http://www.mithious.com/images/supremacy_on_win7.jpg

The construction/mission selection box is not positioned correctly when the supremacy window is not located at the top left of the screen. (When I had it centered in 1920x1200 it wasn't even visible so I didn't realise what the issue was). So I'm happy to just keep it top left, at least it means I can now watch stuff on the second monitor :)

This is the second time I've tried it, but Rebellion never EVER runs for me.

I played the shit out of this game on 95 and XP, but Windows 7 is giving me a shit ton of problems, and I've tried every method that's been on this freaking topic for the past 6 months. I even had this very topic bookmarked since the beginning of last summer, and I haven't been able to rectify the problem.

I deleted everything from my previous attempts, and now all I get upon autonrun is 'Launch Error - Specified file could not be found.'

• SWR Staff - Executive
Sounds like a bad disc, have you tried it on any other system?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Hey guys,

I just reinstalled the game on Win7, and it's running fine in XP mode. However, is there a way to get it to run in full screen without it remaining the same resolution and becoming a small box in the top left corner?

EDIT: nvm, I found out if I changed my native resolution down and booted up XP Mode it fills up the screen.

So, I've never had any problems getting Rebellion to load on Win7 (or Vista for that matter). After first installing, I get a message about some missing .dll file (which can easily be downloaded from any number of sites -- apparently it's some file that MS decided they didn't need anymore after XP).

As for running in windowed mode (native Win7 -- not XP Mode), it works, the window just has to be in the top left corner of the screen (otherwise, you get the problem with menus that others have mentioned).

HERE is the problem -- does anyone know how to skip through the stupid intro speech in Win7?!?!? It's a real pain for modding the game when you have to wait through a five minute speech to find out if your change worked....

I'm playing Rebellion (or in my case Supremacy) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit RTM with no problems (and not using XP mode).

What I did is as follows:

1. Copy everything from the Rebellion/Supremacy folder on the CD to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

2. Download the file in the first post at: http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html

3. Extract the downloaded file.

3. Right click the Rebellion_x64.reg file and click merge. (If your program files is on a different drive you'll need to edit this reg file)

4. Copy the files d3drm.dll and REBEXE.exe to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

5. Create a folder called "SaveGame"

6. Run the game (REBEXE.exe) as an administrator.

Everything worked for me first time. I have the problem where I can't skip the briefing but the space battles seem to work fine.

Note that I've only played the game for a few minutes before posting this so I may run into problems later.

Well, I gave this a shot. No luck. :(

I'm running Win 7 Professional 64bit. I keep getting a "The program can't start because smackw32.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Any idea's?

I'm playing Rebellion (or in my case Supremacy) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit RTM with no problems (and not using XP mode).

1. Copy everything from the Rebellion/Supremacy folder on the CD to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

2. Download the file in the first post at: http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3937.html

3. Right click the Rebellion_x64.reg file and click merge. (If your program files is on a different drive you'll need to edit this reg file)

4. Copy the files d3drm.dll and REBEXE.exe to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion"

Everything worked for me first time. I have the problem where I can't skip the briefing but the space battles seem to work fine.

Note that I've only played the game for a few minutes before posting this so I may run into problems later.

Well, I gave this a shot. No luck. :(

I'm running Win 7 Professional 64bit. I keep getting a "The program can't start because smackw32.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Any idea's?

I tried this too. I got through the shuttle but the program shut down before I could get to the intro speech. I am on Windows 7 Premium.

Just want to chime in, I tried these instructions above last night on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) installation, and success! I got it to work, and played about 700+ days worth of game without any issue. A few notes from my experience:

- When trying to copy the files from disc per step 1, it had problems copying a few of the files in the "MData" directory (complained it was unable to copy or "Read" the file during the copy operation)...probably a problem with the disc? I mention it, only because I did a search and noticed some others had similar issues. My solution? I had an .iso copy of the disc, and was able to mount that using Virtual Clone drive and copy the files from the mounted image.

- Follow the instructions to the letter! First mis-step I made, during step #1, is I actually copied the actual "folder" (named "REBELLION") along with the contents of said folder to "Star Wars Rebellion" (so I had C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBELLION\" as a path)...not good. That throws off the path and it crashed badly. You want the content of the folder, NOT the folder itself.

- At first, I got thrown some non-descript erros that had path references in it, then it would go to the startup/game options screen, but nothing worked (except "exit"). The paths in the odd error messages were a clue, and my problem was that when setting up the folder in Step #1, I had put "Lucas Arts" instead of "LucasArts" (2 words instead of 1). Fixed that, and the game started and ran flawlessly.

- You do need to sit through the droid speech at the beginning. No way around that. I vaguely remember having to do that in XP as well.

- One thing of interesting note...and it might be my imagination...you seem to have to be a little more "exact" when clicking on planet when idicating the target of a mission or the destination for a manufactuing facility output. It wasn't too bad, but it definitely seemed like the actual area you had to "click" in was a bit more constrained. I am a UI designer/developer, so I am guessing it might be due to the way the newer version of windows manages the underlying control used for the visual objects? In any case, had no effect on playability at all, it is still a plenty large target area, and automatic once I realized that I had to be a bit more centered with the cursor. Could also be a factor of me using the touch pad of my notebook instead of a mouse.

- And since we are on the theme of selection oddities...it was a bit quirky when selecting personnel for missions. Holding down "select" and clicking personnel had the behavior I would expect, but holding down "ctrl" and clicking was hit or miss...sometimes it worked, sometimes it acted like I didn't have "ctrl" held down. Not always though, but I noticed it.

Otherwise, I played two hours last night complete with battles (simulated and not), no issues, no crashing on my Windows 7 64bit notebook. All good! Would love to get in a game with a real person...drop me a message if you are interested.

Hello to all you SW Rebellion players. I'm not exactly new here. I was around years ago under a different name. I couldn't remember it so I re-registered. But RL dragged me away. I haven't played SWR in at least a year and a half. I built a new computer with windows 7 Home in October.

Today was the first time I tried to play Rebellion on this computer and I got the error "D3DRM.DLL is missing, please reinstall" or something similar. I found this topic on here, and after reading through it, I opened the CD and copied D3DRM.DLL from the CD to the Rebellion folder. That's all I did and the game works fine now. Opens natively with Windows 7.

The only thing "wrong" is that I can't skip the briefing at the beginning, but I'd rather sit through it than not be able to play Rebellion at all. It's a fair trade off in my opinion, since the game is so old and I'm lucky to have gotten it working.

Hello to all you SW Rebellion players. I'm not exactly new here. I was around years ago under a different name. I couldn't remember it so I re-registered. But RL dragged me away. I haven't played SWR in at least a year and a half. I built a new computer with windows 7 Home in October.

Today was the first time I tried to play Rebellion on this computer and I got the error "D3DRM.DLL is missing, please reinstall" or something similar. I found this topic on here, and after reading through it, I opened the CD and copied D3DRM.DLL from the CD to the Rebellion folder. That's all I did and the game works fine now. Opens natively with Windows 7.

The only thing "wrong" is that I can't skip the briefing at the beginning, but I'd rather sit through it than not be able to play Rebellion at all. It's a fair trade off in my opinion, since the game is so old and I'm lucky to have gotten it working.

Cool, lets play! Drop me a PM if you want to get a game together...

I'm having some difficulties to get RebEd to work with this solution. The game runs nicely, but ReEd keeps saying, I need to have a full installation to load cards. Must be an issue with the .reg files I guess..

Hi i am having trouble with playing rebellion on windows 7. I have followed all of these steps

i run the game with d3drm and i get to the screen where it says reinstall play and unistall and i click on play but it then says launch error the specified file could not be found. PLEASE HELP!! I have been dieing to play rebellion

"he only thing "wrong" is that I can't skip the briefing at the beginning"

I found those files. Just use ResHack and replace EMBRIEF.dll (Empire Briefing wav files). They are a sequences of wav files about 17 +plus 5 empty ones. Use the dummy empty file and replace into each one before. Or just use the "Shut Up the Droid Mod" with modified file already to go. It plays, but real super fast. :mrgreen:

It may still play the visual droid animation SPRITE slow, but you could remove most of the frames to speed it up too.

That is where the droid tells you about the state of the galaxy before the game begins for about two painful minutes. On XP you can skip it, but not on newer OS systems I heard.

http://rapidshare.com/files/414161714/EMBRIEF.rar there one is done try it.

I'd recommend to use the Virtual PC in that matter. Much better than to install on 7 or vista and you can install mods with no problem. Besides, the game behaves as it should be, allowing you to skip the briefing and such...

For Windows 7 x64

If you are getting: 1. Black screen with error message, occasionally only mouse clicker/missing files; then the problem could be this:

When copying the files from the cd note the folder REBELLION. In addition to the steps listed above you need to open this folder and cut the contents to the folder lucasarts\Star Wars Rebellion (i.e. the main folder) then just delete the folder REBELLION itself (its not just a simple copy and paste as the files are from the cd).

Make sure when cutting the contents you do not replace the new REBEXE (from the download link) with the old one found in the REBELLION folder. Other than that it should work.

Wumpum pointed this out in his post, but I didn't realize exactly what he meant until it hit me after much copying, pasting and just trying everything. Hopefully this makes it more obvious for people like me! Thanks for the posts I can't wait to start playing this game again!

I'm rather torn on getting Windows 7 Pro for XP mode, so I'm trying this method out.

I get the game started, and receive a black screen and this message:

PathName is Unknown to Video Manager

MDATA.000

Then the same thing with MDATA.001. THEN it goes to the launch screen, and I select either side, and go. Then it opens up the galaxy map, does the same message with MDATA.003, and crashes.

Seeing as I'm the only one who has posted something of the such, I must have bollocksed it up hardcore. Any suggestions?

IF YOU ARE GETTING SMACKW32.DLL MISSING or MDATA/BLACK SCREEN ERROR

Krow you are having the same problem I had. The problem is that the information entered into the registry does not match the way your folders are set up.

At step 1. Copy everything from the Rebellion/Supremacy folder on the CD to "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion" The files copied from the disk include the following folders (and some other files):

Directx

Install

Rebellion

So the file path is now this: C:\...\LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\REBELLION <---here's the registry problem.

1a. You need to copy all the files and folders from REBELLION into Star Wars Rebellion folder. (Just copy the folders as they are e.g. MDATA)

1b. Delete the folder REBELLION

1c. Be sure that the REBEXE.exe file is the one from the download not the one found in the REBELLION folder.

Krow this sounds like it should solve it because once you copy the folders and files from REBELLION one of those folders is MDATA which contains the movie files. Just make sure you keep those folders as they are, don't copy their contents out and put the files themselves in the Star Wars Rebellion folder because this causes an error too.

If you're still having problems reread Wumpum's post, he says basically the same thing here and he also gives some other good pointers.

Ok, I've done everything I've found on this site (from adding missing .dll files to deleting the REBELLION Directory) everything short of using XP Mode (which apparently doesn't want to work on my Home Premium 64 Bit). This still doesn't make any sense, though, since others have had no problem on their similar OS. If anything, it seems to have made things worse. Now that the movies can play, using the missing .dll files, the game just gets stuck on the black screen (it doesn't crash) it just stays black (but my task manager says its running fine) and I can even minimize it. There are no errors, just nothing happens. I've played plenty of old games before on this machine this one shouldn't be different, I'm so confused. Anyone have a solution?

Alright. Got the game working now. Thanks! However, when I attempt to do anything in RebEd, I receive an error message: http://i36.tinypic.com/2pzlf1c.jpg

It will show this with the corresponding .dat file whenever I click on a button in RebEd. Does the workaround for Rebellion just negate RebEd's existence altogether, or did I wind up botching something else?

Thanks again to all the people who actually know what they're doing. So many people would be lost without you.

Upari,

I think it might be one of these:

1a. In the download link the registry files that are in the folder Reb Refresh Package are:

Rebellion x64 and Reloaded x64 ->Make sure you entered the correct one into your registry which is Rebellion x64.

1b. Make sure that the .exe file you are using is from the Rebellion 1.02 folder.

2. Make sure that you copied the folders in the REBELLION folder as they are, don't take out their contents just take the whole folder and put it in your

So for instance you should have: Local disk...LucasArts\Star Wars Rebellion\EDATA and so on...

3. Make sure that all the .dll files from the REBELLION folder are in Star Wars Rebellion folder.

If this doesn't work I recommend starting over, my system is the same as yours Windows 7 x64 Home Edition so when I found out that I couldn't download Windows XP Mode I stuck to it trying to figure it out. I did so much copying and pasting/shuffling folders around until I followed the instructions to the letter and checked everything I did.

Krow, as for the RebEd I have no experience with it so I can't comment, but there are previous posts in this thread about it.

That file MNCHARSD.dat is the Minor Character data table in hex. Have you tried to use the newer version that does a lot of thing made by Errantone? his SWR Editor? newer better chance to work.

RebEd may not know where to find it in the registry since it was made for a OS younger than W7.

Similar how you must tell Rebellion where to find it on W7. Maybe just a guess.