OFFICIAL: Gameplay Questions

Bioshadow

i see your issue:

in the new code, ships that are not in a fleet are basically not looked at by the code for orders, so please add it to a fleet first then the orders will be processed.  sorry about that, i mentioned it before, but might not have mentioned that no orders will be processed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Mark well i've had a problem with my fleet being set to jump for a few turns, as far as i can see all the fighters are loaded up into the fleet, destination is set, also when i tried to order a unit it said i didnt have enough money (i had added it up and i was was under), also the amount dosnt update (and thus it becomes very hard to track you actually funds) when you buy stuff.

Sorry, you came on a bit late so you missed a little.  I'll explain..

you get some INSTANT UNIT funds that you can buy some units to get you started.  The amount you can spend is NOT the treasury amount you see on the main screen.  You have to look at your REPORT file in your /reports directory.  That tells you how much you can spend on IMMEDIATE reinforcements.

The TREASURY is used to build stuff the normal way, via construction.  Read the thread on Economics to understand how you start setting up your economy (using your Treasury for that).

As for your jump orders, i'll take a look.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Mark, I'm trying to get back into galsim on a new computer but am having a bit of trouble. I'm not sure which file specifically I need to download from java. I tried just getting JAVA RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 6 Update 7 but I'm not sure if that works. I can't change the galsim.bat file from a txt document so I'm pretty lost. I wish I knew more about computers but I'm pretty clueless, thanks for the help in advance.

I think your problem is the bat file. You need to go to tools in the top menue of the folder (along form file, edit, view etc). You then need to select folder options in the drop down menue that appears.

A option box should appear titled 'folder options' and with several tabs. Click on the one that says view. In the middle of the box should be a smaller box filled with checkable options and a scroll bar.

Find the opotion that says 'Hide extensions of known file types' and uncheck it (click untill there's no green arrow next to it).

Click Apply, then OK.

The Galsim .bat file should now appear as galsim.bat.txt

Delete the .txt at the end and enjoy.

Sorry if thats all a bit condescending but I hope it helps. Also, when you do get in be aware that it takes a good week of playing before you can actually build any ships, but after that you swiftly move from your first Corellian Corvette to ISD's.

Ok, so i now have a construction ship and ive got a couple of questions about it. When i tell it to build a structure, where does it get its resources from, how many does it consume and how much does it cost? Also it doesnt give an estimated time for how long it will take to build the structure. And finally how many orders can it process at once? i.e. if i tell it to build more than one thing will it do them all simultaneously or one after the other?

that would make it insanely obsolete; you can produce hundreds of units per turn via a contract. the assembly plant would need to be able to produce 10 units per CYCLE so 100 units per turn for it to be of use. then you could have 2 of them and it should satisfy any needs you have. bearing in mind they are like the higher level factories (they cost the same to build) - one or two should be all you need.

but the construction ship is failing to produce anything at the moment even though i have all the needed resources. im actually trying to build a vehicle assembly plant with it but it just keeps cancelling the order and doing nothing.

Sorry guys, been insanely busy at work.  Are we seeing strange behavior from the construction ship?

it should only be able to build units and structures not resources. 

the location it builds stuff is at its current location, so you need to move it around if you want to build a structure in a certain place.

if you have any suggestions for how it should work or you feel its not working as intended, please let me know. 

Well it doesnt seem to be building the vehicle assembly plant that im asking it to. i intend to find out today wether it is taking the resources for it or not, but its certainly not built it even though ive asked it twice - it just cancels the order every time. Also there are some structures (such as the shipyard) that can only be built by the construction ship, but it doesnt tell us the resource cost of such structures. its not so much of an issue with structures that the embassy can contract as well because i can just check with the embassy to see the costs of things, but it would be good if it showed the cost of unique structures. or even if you just posted up a spreadsheet with the resource cost on them if that would save alot of coding.

oh, i can show you the costs, it used to be up on the specs page, but i changed it to money because we originally did just buying stuff and i forgot to change it back when we went to production.  ill change that and post the new zip.

Ok, well ive confirmed that when i give an order to the construction ship it fails to perform it. so i give it an order to build a structure which i have the resources for and next turn there is no structure and the construction ship has no pending orders. its as if it cancelled the order itself. ive also confirmed that it does not use up any resources when i give it the order to build, so it least its not just consuming resources and producing nothing. instead its doing nothing at all. lol

One last thing about the construction ship, if it has to go to where you want it to build something it really needs to be alot faster - ive had it set moving somewhere all yesterday and its only halfway there now. maybe double its movement speed or something? just a thought.

All 'large capital ships' appear to be assigned the same place in a formation

edit: My smallcraft seem to be being built with fuel, maybe because I have enough propulsion lying around or something. Or maybe because I'm building them at a vehicle plant.

Its not just capitol ships that get given the same place in a formation is it? i thought all things try to 'ret to formation' if you give them free reign to do so. as for the smallcraft ive been using the depot only, but now i know the assembly plant gives them fuel ill use that. it actually gives me an incentive to do so :P