Homeworld patch nightmare

drakin

Hello, I bought Homeworld 2 solely to play this mod. I installed the game, and it started and ran fine. I saw that this mod requires the 1.1 patch. The thing is, is that after I install the patch, the game doesn't even start (with or without the mod). I get a pop up error telling me to visit  www.securom.com/emulator

I've been trying all sorts of things to get around it with no luck.

Is there any way I can play the mod without the patch, or is there anyway people can help me with this.

I have a dual 1.6ghz amd, 2 gigs ram, Vista Home premium, etc. laptop, so it's not like it can't handle the game.

It's all really disappointing and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It's not your computer most likely. The little phrase "securom.com/emulator" implies its your CD player. Probably a driver update will help. Re-install HW2, and re-install the patch, it might've buggered it up. HW never was known for outlandish stability and reliability, especially when you go to jacking with it.

Another thing to consider, is that some games choke over writer CDs or DVDs, whether they're loaded in them or not. It's actually not that uncommon, they're afraid of piracy and whatnot. Haven't had problems with HW2 before, but that doesn't mean much. Your player could be "the one" it freaks out over. Anyway, if it's a writable, try playing the game in a different non-writable drive. Try removing the writer after that.

Just my experiences with these shoddily written, rushed out the door POS games they release nowadays. Don't bet any big money on my solutions.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've had it pop that box up on me before, too. With me, I'd close it and try to restart the game and away I'd go and it wouldn't bother me again for a long time. Yeah, try reinstalling the game and patch, it might've screwed up. After that gripe at Relic for having a buggy game.

Edited by harvey032186

It's not your computer most likely. The little phrase "securom.com/emulator" implies its your CD player. Probably a driver update will help. Re-install HW2, and re-install the patch, it might've buggered it up. HW never was known for outlandish stability and reliability, especially when you go to jacking with it.

Another thing to consider, is that some games choke over writer CDs or DVDs, whether they're loaded in them or not. It's actually not that uncommon, they're afraid of piracy and whatnot. Haven't had problems with HW2 before, but that doesn't mean much. Your player could be "the one" it freaks out over. Anyway, if it's a writable, try playing the game in a different non-writable drive. Try removing the writer after that.

Just my experiences with these shoddily written, rushed out the door POS games they release nowadays. Don't bet any big money on my solutions.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've had it pop that box up on me before, too. With me, I'd close it and try to restart the game and away I'd go and it wouldn't bother me again for a long time. Yeah, try reinstalling the game and patch, it might've screwed up. After that gripe at Relic for having a buggy game.

Thanks for the reply, I've already reinstalled both a bunch of times with no luck. On the relic forums, the only solution they have to the problem is making a copy onto your computer and then using an emulator to play it. I did that but I dont think there is any way to run the mod with the copy. I'll try and do all of this tommorow on a different computer and see if it works there.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

You might try a no-cd crack. Not that I'm advocating piracy or anything, but those things have their uses and you've obviously got a copy already. I WAS using one, for convenience sake, but eventually removed it cause at random moments HW would ask for the CD anyway, causing the game to crash, so it's kinda... pointless I suppose :)

I don't know, that's a very strange situation you're in. You mentioned installing the game/patch ,etc, but not looking for an update for the player itself. Before you go messing with anything else, see about that. Sometimes the simple stuff does the trick.

go to gamecopyworld.com and do a search for homeworld 2. your looking for a file called a fixed image. download that, and the latest daemon tools, and the latest yasu. thats what i use to run everything, its much easier. daemon tools is a virtual cd drive emulator, and yasu is a program that cloaks it so securom doesnt detect and blacklist it. as for the morality of pirating, HW2 is a pretty pointless game to pirate, its like $5 now. i will admit that i do pirate when a new game comes out and im not willing to piss away $50 just to find out it sucks. like EAW, or the new ghost recon games.

I don't go for it cause it's theft, no different than walking in the store and shoplifting a copy. I have made copies, for use in my home cause I don't want to buy three or four copies so I can play LAN with my friends/family who live with me (yeah, we got that many computers tween us all). The only other exception is if it's something that's older and hard to find, if I know somebody what's got one I'll copy it, cause it's likely the only way I'll get one. Interestingly, I've noticed a lot of companies seem to make their old games available for download for free (if your willing to spend the time it takes to download a 2 giger over the net)

takes about 3 hours for 2gb if its seeded enough. my issue is that game prices are through the roof, and actually cost less to produce now than they did when they were exclusively console games. and most games coming out tend to suck, but there isnt a store on the planet that will let you return it like a defective microwave. so until one of those 2 things changes, ill pirate first, and buy if its good enough for online play.

• SWR Staff - Executive

I have to say normally

I use a no-cd for development because the CD slows down game start times, though with the game in the $4.99 bargin in places I'm not concerned. I've really stopped playing/buying games since I've been working on them. Though I just got the company of heroes expansion and it's worth every penny.

there are definitely some games worth the price. the kotor games for example, i downloaded them first and wnt right to the store and bought them after i played for a couple days. im all about supporting game developers. just not crap developers. i have to use a no-cd for hw2 though, because the 2 discs i have are too messed up to start consistently, i even have to switch them in the middle of installation because they are messed up in different places and some files that arent readable on one are on the opther, but the installation wont start from that one.

Well, after going through method after method and scouring google for ideas of what to do, I almost gave up. I right clicked on the homeworld 2 desktop icon and clicked "run as administrator" and it actually worked. If I double click on the icon like you normally would, it still displays the securom error. Oh well, it runs. Mod looks great btw.