SW Reb 2 - Let's Work Together!!

SithMaster

Hello Everyone,

Longtime member (new nick, lost info for old one) and Star Wars Rebellion fan.

It seems there are around four different SW Reb 2 clone projects in the works, each of them going nowhere fast..... it would be nice if everyone pooled their resources and worked towards something that might actually be done. I've been toying with that idea for quite a while now, and since the situation still seems to be extra chaotic I'm considering trying to get everybody on board one single project.

In a nutshell here's what I think we need to get on the right track:

What do we want? Basically most members here want an open source (so people can change it as they wish), more customizable version of Star Wars Rebellion with an easier to use user interface and better AI.

1. To start off, we need strong leadership and vision to ensure the project will be completed.

2. Next we need to work towards a game that won't violate copyright laws.

3. A number of DEDICATED and SKILLED team members should be on board who won't quit... and just in case people do we need a system in place to handle what happens there and how to recruit new people into the team (a problem with open source projects...)

4. A series of tools to make it easy for non-programmers to change the game. (This is important!!)

So for this to work we need someone to take charge. I'll wait and if noone wants that daunting task I'll step forward and do it myself. I have lots of programming experience, especially on larger projects and know what it takes to get projects like this done.

So here's the basic process that should be followed when making a project of this size, in case anyone is interested. It's not exact, but it should give you a good idea at what all has to be done.

1. Analyze ideas - come up with the scope of the system. You have to decide on the core features of the project and then STICK WITH THEM. This includes the basic game systems, the platforms that will be supported , the story etc.

2. Picking a team -

A. Project Manager (the ultimate boss, who has responsibility for the project as a whole.)

B. Designers: game system, story, designers for the different 'mods'.

C. Programmers: general, graphics/UI, tools, AI.

D. Artists: Bitmap images, animations, 3D modellers, UI, skins.

E. Documenters / writers

F. Webmaster / marketing people to get the word out.

G. Testers

3. Once the team is in place you take the requirements document - created in part 1 - and design the game.

4. Use the design document to create a prototype of the main game system. Get feedback from the community on how it turned out.

5. Make changes to the design document.

6. Create the tools to make the game.

7. Create the game.

8. Create the base game 'mod'.

9. Testing.... testing.... 123.

10. Documentation.

11. Release - maintenance.

This is just a quick summary, but hopefully it will help the community members who are interested work together towards building a system - instead of trying to each do his own thing. A game of this size can't be created by one or two or even three people, it requires a dedicated team.

Thanks for reading,

SithMaster

• SWR Staff - Executive

Not a bad plan. But getting each project to get together to work on it... well, good luck.

I don't have the time or energy to dedicate to this project. But you'll have the support of the SWR community.

Good luck

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I step forward mainly for 3 things:

- 3d modelling, I should be able to creat low poly models and the textures

- Game Designing, i have several ideas as to the interface who could be interesting. I may make something with Paintshop to show a bit how my idea goes and of course I have other ideas concerning the gameplay.

- Marketing i can make the word pass quite easily on the web so if i have to i will.

I really would like to be part of this so count me in. As a project leader i think JediIgor would be good in this role but many people are on this site and lots are willing and surely qualified to do the job. Of course i can step forward if necessary.

Since Lucasarts won't make the game we must and lets unite in this goal.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

1. I would like to be leader, or co-leader if you will, but if that's not possible then I'm fine with that ;)

2. I'm an experienced programmer, mainly in the field of visual basic, i've been meaning to learn C++ for quite some time now. Trust me when I say it won't take me long to pick up, all I need to know is the specifics (ie names etc of different objects, and the basics of either directX or openGL depending on what we choose to use.

At the moment i'm doing quite a bit of flash programming.... it's actually rather refreshing to do a little media cross programming.... :D

Anyway enough about that. I'm in as a programmer and / or leader. Oh yeah, I did try to start my own (you may have noticed in one of the other posts ;))

This could actually be done if we could somehow gather all of the people that previously stated their intent to do this.

Please get back to me on danielkerr@dodo.com.au (msn) Raytrace88 (AIM) or danielpkerr@dodo.com.au (e-mail)

note the p in the e-mail but not in the msn, that's important. ;)

I'd really like to see this go through... :D Hope to be a part of it :D

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the support and offers I've received so far, we have the makings of a good team here. :P

If anyone else is interested in helping out, please contact me via private message or respond to this thread. I'll be writing another post probably by this weekend outlining what I think the next steps should be.

Thanks Again,

SithMaster

This is sounding positive and good.

I am however now deeply cynical of online commitment; people promise they will do this and that, and end up doing sod all. Sooo, whilst I do not doubt the sincerity and faith in these early stages of this, i'm going to sit back and see how things pan out for a while.

But good luck! :)

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Jahled,

>This is sounding positive and good.

Thanks. I am really excited about the potential of this project, especially if we can get the entire swreb community behind us.

>I am however now deeply cynical of online commitment; people promise >they will do this and that, and end up doing sod all. Sooo, whilst I do not >doubt the sincerity and faith in these early stages of this, i'm going to sit >back and see how things pan out for a while.

I understand that. That is why I will be trying a number of things to keep the process rolling.

First I will be setting up 'co-managers' just in case something happens to me.

And I am including the fact that some people might not keep their commitments in my project plan.

Finally I am trying to recruit people from a number of areas: personal friends, people from the swreb community and professionals from elsewhere so that we can have a varied team with enough skills to withstand someone walking away from their commitments.

But even so it is a concern, which is why I hope the community gets behind this project so that there will always be the possiblility of new people coming on and keeping the enery and excitement up.

And of course.... if you are ever interested in contributing there are lots of ways you can help. :P

Thanks,

SithMaster

I had an idea about the design of the game here is something that i quickly made up in Paintshop to give you an idea:

http://img60.exs.cx/img60/3963/reb2design0ne.jpg

Okay now you see that each planet has an outline. Within these there could be the little icons representing defense, ressources, etc.

Now the lines you see connecting the planets are trade routes. Now you may wonder what utility they could be, well lokk at the bottom of the picture where you can see that the rebellion controls two planets. The trade route has gone red which means that the rebels own and can now exploit and tax the trade route to get money.

What do you think of the idea?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Hey all,

I'd really enjoy helping with this project, mainly with programming and design. I've got loads of experience in C++ (non-graphical stuff, mainly) and Java (I'm using it to write a game for my degree).

As regards ideas, I would suggest using Java to actually write the game/engine/wahatever, so that the application can be run on several different desktop OS's. Not only that, but writing it in Java would make the process of porting the system to mobile devices (via J2ME) and the web (via JSP/Servlets) much easier than using a language like C++.

I'd put myself forward for the leader post, but I don't have the time at the moment to actually run a project. I think a group of leaders would be a good idea - say 3, or perhaps 4.

Mike.

Well I love the sound of a Rebellion 2 or an "updated" version of Rebellion... But what is Final Objective? What are the set overall goals for this project? If the goals are clear and defined then the process to getting there becomes easier... I would love to help out, but I have loads of ideas but I have almost zero artistic talent :oops: (God love Irony). So if you guys would like to hear my thoughts, just give me the heads up...
Mooninites Unite!!!

Well I love the sound of a Rebellion 2 or an "updated" version of Rebellion... But what is Final Objective? What are the set overall goals for this project? If the goals are clear and defined then the process to getting there becomes easier... I would love to help out, but I have loads of ideas but I have almost zero artistic talent :oops: (God love Irony). So if you guys would like to hear my thoughts, just give me the heads up...

Thanks for the feedback VK.

The final objective/goals for this project are being worked on right now (behind the scenes so to speak) If you have any suggestions please direct them to the special post I setup for that purpose at:

http://www.swrebellion.com/postt2080.html

Please read the top of this post for areas where we would like help, and let me know via private message if anything there interests you.

Hopefully we'll keep the news coming as the project progresses.

SM

Guest Scathane
Great idea! I'm sure the community will support you as much as it can. Maybe it would be a good idea to get you an updated list of all initiatives up til now...

Great idea! I'm sure the community will support you as much as it can. Maybe it would be a good idea to get you an updated list of all initiatives up til now...

That would certainly help so we don't duplicate somebody elses efforts....

http://www.swrebellion.com/reb2/index.php?title=Main_Page :P feel free to add (the scope of the wiki is bigger than a simple reb2)

Evil,

Thanks for the link and your work on the previous 'design document', I'm sure it will be very useful when we get to that stage. :)

Are you able to help this project in any way?

SithMaster

• SWR Staff - Executive
I don't really like InvisionFree, but its your decision. If "Galactic Conquest" is going to be the name, I recommend you change it. I know the group "Galactic Conquest Online" is using it for their HW2 project.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Dear Master of Sith!

I would be glad if I could help you out here. As you may noticed there is a mod under development: Rebellion Reloaded which will be a TOTAL conversion. It's an extremly HUGE project with an extremly small crew.

I stick with my old buddy Jahled here :) We want to finish our stuff first...

You're not the first one, who has great ambitions and good ideas. There were so many... and none of them returned... alive...

8O Anyway! Good luck! I'm a graphic designer (in real life too) and can help you out with illustrations and design and such in the future. If, you don't fail. If we completed our TC :)

I don't really like InvisionFree, but its your decision. If "Galactic Conquest" is going to be the name, I recommend you change it. I know the group "Galactic Conquest Online" is using it for their HW2 project.

I was hoping once the project was further along you could setup a special forum for us here since most of the people we'd initially want to reach are a part of swrebellion.com.

For the time being everyone can just post to the 'sw reb 2' forums, since they appeared to be all but dead anyways....

I noticed the GCO name after I had initially decided on GC as the name of the project. I've yet to come up with anything better so if anyone has any ideas let me know.

I'm also planning on setting up a special page at sourceforge.net once we get going, but there's no point until we come up with a good name for the project.

SithMaster

hmm... Well we could always just name the project after the engine... something like (Throwing random names at you all!!! Mwahahaha)

Actually.. I just thought of a really cool name :D

Extent

ty to thesaurus.com ^_^

whaddaya reckon? (for the engine only, not the sw mod)

I need some sleep... catchya in 8 hours or so ;)