A Rebellion 2 Issue (Discuss!)

DavidAdas

So I am making a new batch of Exceptions specifically for the game. I get done with the invalid mission target exception, and it dawns on me. There's a bug in Rebellion.

When the player captures an enemy, he can ensure that the captured unit can never escape by having him and an agent constantly planet hopping. For instance, if I am an Imperial and I capture Han Solo, I could train up a new Commando and have them constantly in transit by moving them between planets 90 turns away.

So what can we do to fix this? Let me have some ideas here please :)

This will be probably a bit off topic, but I think you're making the same mistake Rebellion devs did - you're abusing the framework too much. Win32API in their case, Java in yours. Don't. You're trying to make a game, not a new demo application for some kind of Java SDK.

Also you don't have to clone the game with all it's faults. Are you trying to create a sequel or a remake (why call it Rebelion 2 then)?

To your question:

1) what would prevent the imprisoned character from trying to escape (ok, the jailor :D)? But I meant that let's you imprison Vader and send him on a long jump. But he can still wipe out the ship's crew the second day of his incarceration and then just wait to emerge out of hyperspace and escape.

2) what about making espionage missions reveal not only inbound, but also (recently) outbound ships for a given system? If you played Frontier you might know what I have in mind. First you let your target get away, then find out where he went, grab a faster ship, get there before he does and wait for him to come out of hyperspace (and do what you came to do).

I would personally shun the idea of free travel in hyperspace and go for a graph of travel routes like E mentioned in your another thread. This would also effectively solve this jailer exploit :lol:

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

I see your point, but not to worry :P The exceptions are not the same as the exceptions built into java. They are necessary though. Having it throw an interrupt is much more efficient than having if/then statements. Furthermore if the exception is thrown I can have a constant response: for instance, a robot saying, "Can't do that, Mister!"

I like the second suggestion. I'll see if I can't pull that one off. *Hrmmz*

Speaking of efficiency, did you know that many game developers completely disable exceptions during compilation (in C++) due to the extra amount of code they require? There are some things the compiler does for you when you throw an exception (like stack trace) you have to take into account when judging their efficiency.

I'm not saying they're useless, just that they are more useful than effective.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Yes. That's why we only call exceptions under exceptional circumstances :P

It's also why I said they aren't quite like exceptions. I needed these interruptions to be an object so I could fit them into a cue (thus stream-lining the events in the game).

*Pokes* Why aren't you helping with the project anywho? We could use more programmers :P

Oh, you mean axception as a game event. My apologies then, I thought you were talking about the language construct :)

*Pokes* Why aren't you helping with the project anywho? We could use more programmers :P

And why aren't you helping mine? I could use some help as well :P

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

So I am making a new batch of Exceptions specifically for the game. I get done with the invalid mission target exception, and it dawns on me. There's a bug in Rebellion.

When the player captures an enemy, he can ensure that the captured unit can never escape by having him and an agent constantly planet hopping. For instance, if I am an Imperial and I capture Han Solo, I could train up a new Commando and have them constantly in transit by moving them between planets 90 turns away.

So what can we do to fix this? Let me have some ideas here please :)

There is a "bug" with your logic. I have used the "hyperspace dungeon" many, many times; but it is NOT 100% effective (just 99.9%). There is the chance (and it has happened to me) that when your jailer and prisoner finally arrive at their destination, the prisoner escapes! The prisoner has had plenty of time to work on an escape, but just needs the right opportunity to pull it off. So as you can see, the original developers have added an "out" to what you perceive as a "bug".

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I would suggest that each day there is a small chance for escape no matter if in hyperspace or not. If in hyperspace, the escaped character would go somewhat randomly to the nearest friendly controlled planet.

The factor if he is recaptured would be the guards. So it would be good to have a decent character to act as the jailor, and or a nice ship detection rating full of storm troopers who could recapture the escapee by chance of detection.

That way he would not have to wait for the ship to travel half way across the galaxy before he jumped ship. Used an escape shuttle, or maybe the guard and ship are just destroyed in the process of his escape. :D

That is what I am think of doing. I do agree, the infinite hyperspace travel is kinda lame exploit.

I may make it random as well. I just didn't want to go down that route because it may make it too annoying :P

"Damn I can't keep these guys for crap!"

Kinda might make capturing a waste of time. We'll see. I suppose that's still a ways down the road.

• 2 years later...

i think the inclusion of a "prison" planet would be a nice approach using a neutral faction like Kessel once conquered all your prisoneers are sent there you get a lower upkeep and a bonus to economy as all those prisoneers are working in the spice mines the only bad point is that they must be now protected with a fleet as the opposition now knows exactually where they are

might be smart to have this as an auto effect as soon as its captured all prisoneers are auto transported to kessel