Ship to Ship combat

LordVader

What about making the ship to ship combat gameplay more detailed. I'm not referring to modifying the models or stats, but rather the combat options that ships have. For example, using the tractor beam. That is a lethal weapon for trapping and preventing ships from escaping and moving around. In the opening scenes of Star Wars: A New Hope, the Imperial Star Destroyer disables the Blockade Runner and boards it. What if you could do this in Rebellion during the combat?

Rule:

- Attacking ship must have troop carrying ability.

- Must have tractor beam.

- Must disable target ship's shields first.

- Boarding attempt just like any other troop assault, if opposing troops, then normal battle rules apply. General's leadership makes a difference.

- If boarding attempt successful, that side gains control of the ship.

- If opposing ship doesn't have troop carrying ability, the troop regiment used in the battle will appear as being on the ship for the battle, then after the battle, it goes back to the original ship (so it would prevent you from using them again for the battle).

This would place more emphasis with putting high quality troops on the bigger capital ships.

Also ships should have the ability to fire at different targets. There should be an option to select targets for each weapon arc. To prevent it getting complicated, you could specify that if any enemy ship or fighter comes within range of the weapon arc, then lock on the weapons and fire until they move out of range.

"You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master." - Vader

He's got a really good idea,

I only think some one allready suggested it.

Yes you're right Ric. It's my fault for not reading the posts properly. Someone has suggested the idea of aiming at different targets with the ships weapons.

Has anything been mentioned about morale and quality of ships crews?

Morale- this would be in place to prevent you from ordering a ship to "do a suicide attack" on a much stronger ship. Example, Corellian Corvette VS ISD. The crew of the CC would refuse such an order because who wants to die needlessly? This would be where the presence of Admirals and characters make a difference. The Admirals/Generals could improve the morale factor for that battle. Could have different officer ranks so you can have an officer on each ship, a Captain for example.

There would need to be some sort of scale to caculate the strength of each ship, an very rough example could be:

ISD= strength of 5 on the chart

CC= strength of 1

So telling a single CC to attack an ISD is not allowed, but maybe telling 2+ CC to attack the ISD would be because the ships support each other.

Ships Crews.

This could be a crucial thing in terms of how a ship performs in combat. The ship would gain experience from the number of battles it took part in and the number of ships it destroyed (fighters could count but they are easy to kill), and also if it did any planetary bombardments, what it destroyed from that. So this would place an emphasis on 2 things, firstly actually naming the ships so you could keep track of it (or maybe have a symbol or mark on the ship indicating it's crew quality) and secondly, to preserve the ships in combat, so it will change the strategy.

Also if a ships crew is more experienced, it could resist being boarded more easily and also could foil any sabotage missions.

Crew experience levels have been brought up, and I brought up an idea whereby each ship would have stats dedicated to how much crew they had aboard. AKA: Skeleton < Recommended < Overcrewed. I dunno if I would want any of my ships to disobey me, but it's an interesting idea.

*Edit*

I'm not trying to depress everyone. :-P There are surely still many ideas to be thought up.

Hello

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JediIgor

You should be able to include characters in the boarding party as well.

Imagine a Jedi Strike Force taking over a Super Star Destroyer :D.

• 1 month later...

Excellent Idea!!!

Also, it'd make the fact that the game CAME with fleet troops make sense.

After all, when did we ever see those fleet guys with the goofy helmets attacking armies? :lol:

It's also make my Ion Frigate model much more desirable ;)

:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D

How about ships/fighter squadrons/troops/characters being able to defect, by using diplomacy or if they cant escape a fight being able to surrender and their opponents being able to seize the ship or the crew scuttling her.

That'd be great ivo. It'd fit with the XvT games. Dunno how I'd implement it as a programmer... the AI is weak as it is. But if it could be done, that'd be fabulous. I think it'd be easier to just use morale and avoid the diplomacy aspect. Less realistic but easier for gamer and AI.
:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D