Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rebellion 2?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

@Steel: this kind game extension is usually done through scripting (events). You could do basically through XML, but you'd be basically creating your own scripting language as a subset of XML. And it would be very messy. If you're interested, check out some IronPython (Python implementation under CLI) tutorials - like this one http://secretgeek.net/host_ironpython.asp.

I'd recommend keeping your sources public. Keeping them private won't help you in any possible way (unless you plan to sell the game, which of course you can't in this case). Eg. I'm no C# programmer and don't have time to work on another project full-time, but I have few years of C/C++ experience (among other things :)) and can find the time to glance through your code and report any obvious bugs I might spot (or post a patch).

@Tex: Terra is currently on hiatus. I have my hands full with either school projects or freelance work. I plan to return to her once I'm less busy, but no one knows when that will be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

LUA is also a major scripting language that a lot of games use (I know at least Relic games like Homeworld 2 use it)

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

I am still working on it. Right now, some pleasant (***) decided to drop a web browser hijacker on me. But this will not let me access my anti-virus/spyware to update to remove. Oh no, it a sophisicated RootKit hider from hell.

I had this done to me before about 2 years ago, this one is a mutating SOB. I need to download my important data and reformat my HDD and re-install. It seems this variant came out since the last month.

I do have something to show since Nove 2008, now i got hosed, but I think my main data work I did the last 6 months will not be lost. I have back ups of all the models in .X and such.

After four years I should have expected this. You would think peeps would have something better to do with their genius at making nasty rootkit virus. Do they not understand they are destroying the very thing they love? If they care about playing computer games on the PC platform, then why attack it? That and piracy just adds more fuel for peeps to buy a simle minded console game over a PC game for that reason.

I run three main spyware, virus, etc to stop this stuff, but it happens. I downloaded a "free" trial of a 3D model maker and I find out their was a virus placed into the legit demo trial of Blender (I seem to like it over 3DS and it is cheap / free for basic use).

You guys out their that are genius at programming that are making malicious virus: I plead with you, you are the Man, please use your extrodary talent for good, it is always easy to be evil. In the end, do you not want new cool games or remakes to enjoy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:02 am 
<!-- Major //-->

Oh man, you got fooled pretty badly. I hate to say it, but Blender is completely free (even open source), so anything that poses as a Blender trial must be obviously fake. I don't know where you downloaded it from, but safest is it's homesite - blender.org in this case (btw. the latest version is 2.49a, anything "newer" is fake). Always double check what programs you want to run or install.

This is basically the same case as computer piracy. They don't see the consequences, so they don't care. I think these guys really need a job, they're probably just a buch of students anyway.

Evaders99 wrote:
LUA is also a major scripting language that a lot of games use (I know at least Relic games like Homeworld 2 use it)

Yes, but I mentioned IronPython as an easy choice for managed code. Lua is harder to embed (since it's not object-oriented) and I'm not sure about it's .NET implementation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:15 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

Lucky for me, I found a website that did get it fixed. It was a Rootkit of the variant UAC. I looked for those files just like RootRepeal does, but I could not find them inside system32/ neither could RootRepeal -it just crashed.

Plus it shuts OFF your anti-virus from even launching, nor update (so no scan to get rid of it). Then it hoses your internet browser like a Hijacker. Plus it played an odd music/conversation using some CoolPlay program. I guess they get off on it.

The good news is there are some nice people that created a repair tool, ComboFix, to combat this new nasty, nasty rootkit virus that is out and about. Apparently I caught between 7-14 until a few days ago. It did list about six programs I had, mostly demos.

So much for that, yes indeed, be very careful where you download a demo from. "Hey, its free to try..." nothing is free.

I would like to thank very much to those guys that created ComboFix. The tool is free, they really are decent people to make a tool to combat viruses, during their free time.

Sometimes I wonder if PC games are going to suffer with all those virus ware out there. Maybe the console game do not suffer much from viruses?

As for the topic about code, public and private. I guess some may want their code private in case they want to make a game for profit, else what would stop a lamer from borrowing your hard work code development, then change it a bit, add some new picture and sound resources, and produce a game for sell out of it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:35 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi, would just like to offer my assistance in any way that can help anyone with the development of a Reb 2 :)

I know nothing about anything, but have plenty of time to learn any necessary skills, and so probably the most useful thing I could do is something both easy and time consuming :)

Thanks to everyone working on a project atm anyway, hope someone finishes soon :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Well I finally have gotten back to looking at my code. Still need a new keyboard and the dislocated shoulder is functional enough to play games so I figure its time to start coding again. I got a job finally which is only 20-30 hours a week but with university being such a breeze I feel I should still be contributing.

To that end, today, I uploaded my source and binaries to the MS Codeplex website. This is hopefully to encourage more people to help out and even if not, simply look at the code and offer tips. I also realised that Codeplex has their own SVN as part of their program which basically means I love them. Anyone who wants access to the SVN has to signup to the website and have me add them but its a small hassle for what is offered.

For those who dont want to scroll through various pages of text:

The project is being coded in C# with the XNA runtimes. If you know C,C++, Java its really easy to learn and enjoyable to code in. It really lets you worry about the actual code rather than the nitty gritty stuff. For some projects they may like the extra control however this isn't such a massive project where every tiny optimisation is necessary.

More info on the site.

http://reb2.codeplex.com

You can browse the code without SVN using the Source Code tab.
WARNING: I am not a god programmer. I don't know nuances of professionals and what nots. What I am is an ex Games Programming Student who did a few units with C,C++ and some OpenGL. Don't expect perfection or abuse me when it's not. ;) or even close :P

To Chris, if your interested contact me on MSN: a_w_mijatovic@hotmail.com and we can talk about what might interest you

And bad luck on the virus Slocket. Hope all is well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:39 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Have a browse to the discussions tab and have a look through the todo list anyone who wants to help. Plenty more being added that stuff is just off the top of my head

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:15 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Reb2 forum seems pretty quiet of late.

Working on mostly background stuff for my project so although on the surface you wont see any changes, there is work being done.

Chris has agreed to help out where possible and has already done a few nice models and picture mockups.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:09 am 
<!-- Corporal //-->

One humble suggestion is to please use unsigned long for the ship hitpoints and shields and weapons and other stats instead of int. The reason behind this is that personally I prefer an ISD to be able to stand up to three bulk cruisers and with the stats it currently has it gets smashed if the trio gang up on it. I solve this by making the shielding ten times as powerful. But eventually I reach the upper limit of 32K. If it is at all convenient please use ulong. Also if someone could alter RebEd to set the cap for stats at 2-4 billion it'd be great. I can confirm that Rebellion supports it and that the values upto 4 billion work just fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:56 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

I am just using uint at the moment for all stats. When it gets towards the end of production and I see memory requirements arent too harsh I could change it to ulongs.

Was on hold for a bit as I was away and my keyboard was busted but i get a new one on wednesday and that will make things much smoother.

PS: STILL LOOKING FOR ARTISTS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn wrote:
You are certainly not the first person(s) to undertake the challenge of creating a new Rebellion game, and I very much doubt you will be the last. That said I do wish you the very best luck in your endeavour and I hope that you'll update us on any progress that is made. Also, beware of lawyers. With how large a cash cow the Star Wars franchise has become I'm afraid LucasArts is unlikely to take infringement upon their territory lightly.

Maybe I forgot about this, but I have been making alot of strides in making a halfway decent release. I am using alot of recycled graphics from the game just for speed of production (I do not want to take another year of development).

The artwork resources would look better if artist want to replace them with newer higher resolution graphics. They can be modded easily inside the folders. I am not using any encryption to keep people from changing it to whatever they like.

Are they really going to get upset over this?

I have a nice intro screen, save, opening movies from the game, and pretty much alot of artwork for the strategy portion of the game. The 3D part is all new except for some minor artwork, plus the 3D ship models are from the community here. Not from the game.

The only thing I am using is 2D artwork. Alot of the GUI and windows have been changed to cut down on the clickfest. I left out the story line script for now, I would like to have it so people can place in their own stories, or just use the default script of the original game if it is OK>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

Are you still making it like the vanilla game and only with the potential for modding things? I really hope so, because I generally like the vanilla game a great deal and if this game gets a remake, I'll hate it if it makes it a new game with new "cool features" unavoidably added. I love the game as it is, I just hope to see a remake with improved AI. And not just for the space battles but also managing economy, the use of characters on missions, etc. Even the improved graphics are optional to me :) although of course it'll be nice to see those.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am 
<!-- Colonel -->

Vanilla. As they say, do not mess up a 'Mona Lisa' picture with your own ideas.

Only better interface, way better AI, and only moddable tweakes peeps can make to game rules and mechanics as they see fit. Such as no random energy/mine depletion, tweaks to maximum power per planet, maybe more planet types (and up to 300 total planets which you can arrange in GalaxyMapper.exe tool with loyaly set or random) so the planets can be more unique (Core, Rim, Mid, Hutt, whatever) and not so boring (major change from original game -so who knows) better economy and mission action, some did not work so great as was in vanilla game, Jedi Training is one that comes to mind.

Imperial excel at pure strength, but have a bloated military; whereas the Rebels are good at Sabotage hit and run to wreak havok upon the Imperial Navy's economy to make up for their weak ships.

Just improvement upon the original game and more personal control of variables.

Oh, and a half decent 2d/3d psuedo ground planet battle representation to watch. Characters RPG like perks added to the fight game. I think that it would add to the game, but you can turn that part off if you wish. You can develope your personal henchmen as you wish for some spice. As of now, you only see a summary screen in vanilla. So this should be really nice to see in action.

Sneak Peek to see I am really working on this, it is one big interface. Soon you guys can play with the EXE and see and hear the Intro Avi, sound, music, mess with art work and make you own galaxy which is intact and almost done.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2452 ... akpeek.png

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:18 am 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

Sounds awesome.

How's the work on the AI itself? It's planned to be way better, but have you worked on that?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next