Rebellion 2?

DavidAdas

I am just using uint at the moment for all stats. When it gets towards the end of production and I see memory requirements arent too harsh I could change it to ulongs.

Was on hold for a bit as I was away and my keyboard was busted but i get a new one on wednesday and that will make things much smoother.

PS: STILL LOOKING FOR ARTISTS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are certainly not the first person(s) to undertake the challenge of creating a new Rebellion game, and I very much doubt you will be the last. That said I do wish you the very best luck in your endeavour and I hope that you'll update us on any progress that is made. Also, beware of lawyers. With how large a cash cow the Star Wars franchise has become I'm afraid LucasArts is unlikely to take infringement upon their territory lightly.

Maybe I forgot about this, but I have been making alot of strides in making a halfway decent release. I am using alot of recycled graphics from the game just for speed of production (I do not want to take another year of development).

The artwork resources would look better if artist want to replace them with newer higher resolution graphics. They can be modded easily inside the folders. I am not using any encryption to keep people from changing it to whatever they like.

Are they really going to get upset over this?

I have a nice intro screen, save, opening movies from the game, and pretty much alot of artwork for the strategy portion of the game. The 3D part is all new except for some minor artwork, plus the 3D ship models are from the community here. Not from the game.

The only thing I am using is 2D artwork. Alot of the GUI and windows have been changed to cut down on the clickfest. I left out the story line script for now, I would like to have it so people can place in their own stories, or just use the default script of the original game if it is OK>

• 1 month later...
Are you still making it like the vanilla game and only with the potential for modding things? I really hope so, because I generally like the vanilla game a great deal and if this game gets a remake, I'll hate it if it makes it a new game with new "cool features" unavoidably added. I love the game as it is, I just hope to see a remake with improved AI. And not just for the space battles but also managing economy, the use of characters on missions, etc. Even the improved graphics are optional to me :) although of course it'll be nice to see those.

Vanilla. As they say, do not mess up a 'Mona Lisa' picture with your own ideas.

Only better interface, way better AI, and only moddable tweakes peeps can make to game rules and mechanics as they see fit. Such as no random energy/mine depletion, tweaks to maximum power per planet, maybe more planet types (and up to 300 total planets which you can arrange in GalaxyMapper.exe tool with loyaly set or random) so the planets can be more unique (Core, Rim, Mid, Hutt, whatever) and not so boring (major change from original game -so who knows) better economy and mission action, some did not work so great as was in vanilla game, Jedi Training is one that comes to mind.

Imperial excel at pure strength, but have a bloated military; whereas the Rebels are good at Sabotage hit and run to wreak havok upon the Imperial Navy's economy to make up for their weak ships.

Just improvement upon the original game and more personal control of variables.

Oh, and a half decent 2d/3d psuedo ground planet battle representation to watch. Characters RPG like perks added to the fight game. I think that it would add to the game, but you can turn that part off if you wish. You can develope your personal henchmen as you wish for some spice. As of now, you only see a summary screen in vanilla. So this should be really nice to see in action.

Sneak Peek to see I am really working on this, it is one big interface. Soon you guys can play with the EXE and see and hear the Intro Avi, sound, music, mess with art work and make you own galaxy which is intact and almost done.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2452/rebsneakpeek.th.png

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2452/rebsneakpeek.png

Yes., and thanks. The AI is the easy part for me.

The AI for the game it will be very good, but not a digital precise computer over whelming the person, nor like a Deep Blue super computer using brute force. After playing alot of chess games against AI, I want something that can mimmick a real person.

Edited by Slocket

You're really getting my hopes up! :) I'm seriously looking forward to seeing your version. It sounds like you've got enough elbow room to implement more than one level of the AI, harder and easier.

Any rough estimates on when? (No worries, I'm realistic - I waited years and years for a restoration of Kotor 2 ;) )

Since it is a free game, working on it part time, it takes longer than I thought it would. I hope within the next year.

I want to release some stuff to play with to get a feel for the game's remake so people can see what is going on.

But the progress is slow. It is a complete re-write of the game, that is a very big challenge. Years and years is very much realistic. I thought I could do it within one orginally. Instead, 2-3 years.

• 1 month later...

After playing this some more, one thing I'd really like to see in a remake is a way to automate spy missions to one's own planets. So you could post them there permanently and they'd issue their repots but not finish the mission on their own. Kinda like diplomacy/incite/research missions.

This would not let you do anything that was impossible in the original game, just automate the repetitiveness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SWR Staff - Executive
To find and enemy characters on your planet to try and capture/kill them. Not sure how effective that really is

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Nothing published. But look inside RebEd and you can see the Chart profiles of mission success based upon the differences in stat ratings to chance success.

You also have Decoys/Foilers and total number of characters (mixed with Special Forces) that go on a mission. That is a mystery. Too many decoys and characters and maybe your mission gets foiled, but your main minor characters will usually escape unharmed. Then again if not enough decoys, you run a real risk of your character getting caught sneaking by foilers and troop regiments, or enemy characters high in espionage protecting that target.

This is for me one of the most fascinating aspects of the game and would like to play out a small card like 2D after action report showing what actually happened during the mission, success or failure, who gets killed or injured, and escapes or captured using stat based and abilities play out. Either automatic, so it is not so micro managment, or manually for those important missions where you really want some more involvement.

I never spied my own planets... What was the point of it?

I always spy on my "major/critical" systems. If you find out enemy missions are on the way, the majority of the time they become "foiled". But for those that don't fail, I "attack" those missions with missions of my own. Commandos take out other commandos/spys/probes, and I've actually captured characters before :twisted: . Nothing like keeping your opponent "in the dark"

It also lets you know when enemy fleets are inbound, so you can prepare. :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 3 months later...