Rebellion 2 in the making?

JanDeis

Aren't there any useable game-makers anymore?

Rebellion is basicly a card-game, maybe it can be reconstructed in such a software with adding some 3d design.

There are some game SDK's (Clanlib, Allegro?) but they're mainly 2D biased (if that's what you had in mind).

But why not to make it fully 3D? If you don't want the third dimension, you can always ignore it and you're nevel limited by the fact that there's no such thing as a third dimension.

I say let's show 'em what we can do! :wink:

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Hmm, I can't find that AFAIK thing. Could you point me in the right direction?

Also, as of right now, I can't work with anything but basic 3D modelling in a limited variety of file formats. Is there anything I can do to fill the gap while I try to learn how to use Lua?

Lol!!!!!!

Just to clarify for ya JanDeis, AFAIK means As Far As I Know. Blender is just "Blender" (not AFAIK Blender), and you should be able to easily find it using google or live.com

To back up Moribundus, I am also available if anybody has questions. I don't do lua/C++, but I do have extensive knowledge regarding the direct x/Microsoft/C#/XNA side of game development.

I don't hang around these forums as much anymore, but if you shoot me a PM, drop me a line via my website, or post on this thread I should get back to ya

http://nordwindranger.com

I should really make a flashy banner

I tried blender once awhile ago and hated it. :twisted:

I bought a copy of gamespace, which turned out to be ok, but not really great.

Recently I've been working with this:

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/

It looks pretty nice. It says that its for hl2 and xna, but it supports other formats as well..

Ohh. :o

Do you need Half Life 2 to use that? Or can you make stand-alone .exe files that only need xna (XNA right)

neither. ModTool is a standalone 3d modeling software. You can export straight to .x files (a common 3d model format)

(yup when i say xna I mean XNA. "xna" doesn't actually stand for anything, so it's kind of akward to use in conversation sometimes)

eh i don't know. It looks pretty easy to use. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet.

Ignore the half life 2 and XNA addon stuff. It's just a pile of extra crap that won't be of any use. (I'm doing xna stuff, and I'm not using the xna addon). All you really need is the ability to export files to .x, as this is one most common formats. I'm sure it can export to a whole bunch of other formats as well.

There are some intro tutorial videos to get you started with the program, I think the link to them pops up when you start the program..

I may have to give that one a try (Always wanted to see what Softimage could do). But i guess I'll as usual come to back to using 3ds Max which is just as good.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Blender is actually quite nice, but requires some time geting used to it. Also it should be easy to write custom plugins for it.

Hammer (formerly Worldcraft) is for building HL2 maps, isn't it? Or can it make character models too? I have worked only with Worldcraft for HL1 (pleasant experience though). I guess SirLoin meant it comes free with download of Source SDK (over Steam?). Licencing price of the Source engine is NDA, which means you we probably couldn't afford it even if we pooled all our money :)

ModTools should be easier to use (well I just installed it and I'm little disappointed), but I'm quite curious how big level of customization it allows. It's also useless for anything else than modelling, because it's rendering capabilities are very crippled (but that should bother you only if you want to create some splash screens, or wallpapers).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Blender is actually quite nice, but requires some time geting used to it.

You got that right...

And I put Mod Tool on my other computer, and when I tried to start it up, it said another program was using the xsi.bat file. I also found that a program was also using the registry...

I will try putting it on this computer I'm on right now and see if I get the same message...

Seems just like Blender, but is more friendly with making a game. Blender is mostly a modeling program whereas Mod Tool is designed to make/modify games. It uses shortcuts that you have to know (just like Blender). I am just trying to learn where everything is. I have a piece of paper that is always next to my monitor now with the list of shortcut keys for Mod Tool. It seems easier to make the animations though, but I have only seen the tutorial for that one. Other than not knowing how to use half of the program, it is going great!

Well, the modeling tools are simpler than in Blender (which was a pain just to get the view right!) but I just need to find out all the shortcuts. I know how to model, because most of the tools are the same as in Blender, with a couple different ones (like symmetrical modeling, just does the same thing to both sides). Once I have the tools down, I will see what I can make with the basic modeling stuff, then I will move on to making things move...

And maybe by the time you're done with studying ModTool, I'll have Terra in some useable state :)

I'm working on GUI right now, foundations of input system are already done :) Btw. I'm rebuilding the Terra's website and I could create Rebellion 2 forums there if you want (pre-version of the new website can be found on http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.net/drupal).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

I just created an account on your site moribundus. I am just waiting for the email. Also, if you need any models done in .X, I now know that I can do that! I can just make the model in my other program, import to Blender ('cause I hate Blender's modeling tools, or at least how they are set up...), and then export to .X

I am still an amateur modeler, so I wouldn't expect anything great (like the stuff Mad does...) but I am getting better.

Mails are sent every hour, not immediately (sourceforge.net imposes some restrictions on web services). However basically everything is done now, I just have to create the forums, write some introductory posts/announcements and so on. I'll change the address tomorrow (I'll let you know). More info then, I should sleep now :)

Btw. did you know that if you "pull down" Blender's main menu (it's actually a window and you're seeing only it's bottom part) you can get to a nice configuration screen, which can make Bleder behave much better?

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

• 6 months later...