Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Rebellion 2 in the making?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:22 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Is there a team working on Rebellion 2 right now? If not, I want to attempt to start up my own Reb2 project. If there already is a team, I want to see if I can join and help out.

Anyone know of anybody, or if everything is dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:47 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

I would like to help. I havn't made a game from scratch but I have had some modding experience with the Quake (PK3) engine. I am willing to be an active member of the group and I have allot of time on my hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:05 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

SirLoin wrote:
...but I have had some modding experience with the Quake (PK3) engine.

Have you ever modded Jedi Outcast by any chance? It runs off of the Quake 2 or 3 one.

Anyways, if nobody is working on it, that explains the inactivity on this part of the forums. So I guess I might as well start recruiting! Check out http://www.freewebs.com/deisgames/index.htm for my team site.

Right now, my team consists of......me.
I need help with that don't I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:38 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Hey guys.
Over the last couple years, there have been a lot of Reb2 projects.
I believe they are all dead however.

Most of the projects failed because people underestimated just how much work goes into making a game like this.

However, I think the number one in creating REB2 is that quite simply you aren't LucasArts and therefore don't have any legitamite claim to the Star Wars intellectual property. It can be argued that what your doing falls under the category of a "fan game", and therefore should be ok. But it would really suck to get a "cease and desist" letter after putting a lot of time into your game.

If your interested in seeing what I did with my REB2 project before bailing, check out my website:
[url]
http://nordwindranger.com/idoe.aspx
[/url]

There is one active project, although it is more of a general space-sim than a rebellion sim. If your interested, here's the link
[url]
http://terrastrategy.sourceforge.net/
[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:17 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

nordwindranger wrote:
It can be argued that what your doing falls under the category of a "fan game", and therefore should be ok.

Then that is what we will do. There isn't a rule that says fan games have to suck compared to an original is there?

If no, then Reb2 is on its way!

By the way, my website is up. Its just a freewebs thing, but it gets the job done. http://www.freewebs.com/deisgames/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:31 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Love the ambition, as long as you don't sell something commercialy LA can't really do much. The websites cool and if the goal of Deisgames is to do digital work for no profit you'll be fine.

ps. Could you add a members/resume section to the site for people who want to describe themselves, their skills, or their interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:34 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

SirLoin wrote:
ps. Could you add a members/resume section to the site for people who want to describe themselves, their skills, or their interests.

I can. I think I'll put that piece up in the forums. Should be up in just a minute...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:06 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Ok! The forums and the rest of the site is up!

See it here: http://www.freewebs.com/deisgames/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:16 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Hi,

it's great to see someone else is interested in active development of Rebellion 2 :)

As Nordwindranger mentioned, my project (Terra Reconstructed) is still alive. It's main goal is to provide framework for a space RTT(B)S game (much like Rebellion). I decided only to make the engine and to leave the actual game content up to someone else. Besides my knowledge of the SW universe is limited to the movies and wookiepedia, so I suppose that there are better people for this.

So if you'd like to work together (which would be nice, unless you decide to use some other more finished engine), just let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:58 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Well, what programs are you using? Will it be 2D (like Rebellion) or 3D (like Empire at War?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:04 pm 
<!-- Corporal //-->

Get a good structure and plan laid out. Let people know how to help.

Don't worry about time frames or anything like that, but if the shell of the application is available and modular enough, then people will find it easy to help you and join in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 am 
<!-- Major //-->

JanDeis wrote:
Well, what programs are you using? Will it be 2D (like Rebellion) or 3D (like Empire at War?

The core of the engine is written in C++/OpenGL and sripting is done in Lua (it includes even the scene graph management). it's supposed to be full 3D, not pseudo 3D like EAW, but more like homeworld (and Ascendancy for the startegic part). However the framework should be flexible enough to allow multiple approaches to be built on top of the same engine. Modularity is most important. So it will be what you want it to be :)

I'll give you an example. The game tree (you might call it a scene graph) consists of Entity objects and each object has a Form (model instance and/or graph), a set of States (describing the entity) and some Actions (and other children Entities). If the entity is told to react to some event/action, it looks the events name up in it's internal association tables to see, whether it has any Action object associated with it (whether it knows what to do). If it has, it executes that Action object, otherwise it ignores the event (ie. battleship wil react to the "draw" event, while AI controller will not). Actions can of course check for certain values/parameters contained in entity's states and react according to them. I hope this will make the engine flexible enough even for development of games like Reb2, which might contain two or three fundamentaly different "subengines".

Terra currently uses Microsoft's X file format fror models and XML for materials (and GLSL for shaders). The only modification to the X files is that you have to use the EffectInstance tag to define which xml material to use. MS effect files are not suported.

However it shouldn't be so hard to modify blender's .X exporter (which is written in python) to do this for you.

Maybe you could work on the Rebellion mod (Rebellion Reconstructed...hmm?) while I would simultaneously work on improving the framework :wink:

JeZuS wrote:
Get a good structure and plan laid out. Let people know how to help.

Hmm, maybe i should start a mod wiki or something. I've never been good at organizing stuff (and advertising ) :)

Edit: Huf huf, I managed to put together some kind of mini-wiki :)
here's the link: http://terrastrategy.wiki.sourceforge.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:08 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Well, if I wanted to work with your engine, what programs and experience would I need? I can do nothing when it comes to coding or scripting (yet :wink: ). But I can do cheap 3D models. Yesterday I made a Trade Federation Battleship using about 10-12 simple shapes. The only major edit was cutting part of my torus off and capping the holes. I am currently learning how to work Blender and how to use the python coding. I can use Blender to a small extent, just basic modeling. But I prefer to do my modeling in other programs (I use Misfit Model 3D, but I want 3ds Max).

By the way Mad, I think my torrent sucks. It wont even connect. Could it be because of my wireless connection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:14 am 
<!-- Raporan Dark Lord //-->

@JanDeis: Try using FrostWire. :wink:

I can help with the project but only on the modelling side.

Click here is you like Trance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

Well, basically any 3D editor that can export .X files (with bones) and text editor for writing Lua scripts will be enough :)

I want to write a lot of scripts for Terra, so you will be able to reuse them and enrich them with better graphics. Maybe you'll like the templates :) I have some nice ideas...

You might also want to contact Lord La Forge and the Reloaded team. They probably have lots of artwork for the Thrawn era you might find useful.