What about merging Rebellion and EAW?

Thomas_von_Mistont

What we want is strategic map and economy from rebellion and battles from EAW.

What we need is program that does two things:

1) When battle occurs in Rebellion and player choose option to command battle program, instead of launching Rebellion battle, launches EAW skirmish battle and transfers information about number and type of units into it.

2) When battle is finished it transfers informations about loses and goes back to Rebellion.

The problem is of course lack of source code of a game and of someone with enough skills to do that (though i belive it's not that hard to do with source code).

This would be the dream game, wouldn't it? All the options and lack of movement/units limitations from Rebellion, plus the more detailed planet characteristics and battle management from EAW.

LucasArts, are you listening? Let's have the ultimate Star Wars galactic strategy game!

Thomas,

I kind of suggested a similar idea in one of the other threads. I haven't played EAW an awful lot, so I dont know how moddable it is though. My suggestion related to splitting up the task of building a new game into the action and strategy parts. Allowing several people to work on it in parallel.

The problem you will have with using a commercial game like EAW, is that that even if you could get EAW to run a battle, I doubt you would be able to get sufficient data from it to feedback all the information you'd want to the strategic portion of the game.

I'm currently working on a strategic game which will hopefully offer more of a challenge than rebellion. Once it is finished I was hoping to bolt on someone else's 3D engine rather than learn from scratch how to code one myself.

The intention is that the strategy game will pass full details of the battle to the 3D component. This data will need to include details of loadouts of individual weaponry on ships, any existing damage, crew & commander experience/skill etc.

The 3D section will then run the battle and pass a similar amount of data back. If we have a 3D module written in C# or .NET, then I can release a library of classes to handle most of the donkey work of loading/saving the data.

I estimate I'm about 30% through so far, after about 3 weeks of work in my spare-time, so you are quite correct in that it doesn't need to be a major headache to code, if you use the right tools & techniques. I may have made an error of judgement, but I'm hoping I can get away with C# and GDI for it. Its looking at the moment like there will be no performance issues....but that could change as I scale things up and add features. :wink:

If/when I finish it, I will make it available for download. I will most likely release all the source code as well, so that people can change/extend it as they please.

One major problem I could run into is having enough copyright free images. I can't draw at all, and I'm surprised that there isn't a section here where people have posted lots of nice artwork that can be re-used(with some kind of acknowledgement of course). I could be wrong as I'm only a fairly new member here myself, but I've not spotted any such repository.

One major problem I could run into is having enough copyright free images. I can't draw at all, and I'm surprised that there isn't a section here where people have posted lots of nice artwork that can be re-used(with some kind of acknowledgement of course). I could be wrong as I'm only a fairly new member here myself, but I've not spotted any such repository.

Well i'm just finishing law studies and as far as i know as long as this game is free you can use all images you find. Just give credits to authors.

I kind of suggested a similar idea in one of the other threads. I haven't played EAW an awful lot, so I dont know how moddable it is though. My suggestion related to splitting up the task of building a new game into the action and strategy parts. Allowing several people to work on it in parallel.

EAW is very modable, there are dozens of mods adding new units, changing it's stats etc. So it's not a problem.

The problem you will have with using a commercial game like EAW, is that that even if you could get EAW to run a battle, I doubt you would be able to get sufficient data from it to feedback all the information you'd want to the strategic portion of the game.

I was not playing EAW too much (i will reinstall it to check this out this evening) so i don't remember if ship's damages are carried out to strategic part of EAW (like in Rebellion) but even if they don't it's still not that bad, maybe not perfect but always better than battles in rebellion. But we can deffinetly "intercept" data about nuber of ships that survived a battle.

Good luck in making your game, i can't wait to see it working :)

If you ever want some help with game concept/realism/economic i'm offering my help i think i'm quite good at it (my skills = my vison of my skills - my presumption ;) )

The idea is nice, it's everyone's dream for sure, but we will never have the source code. We don't even have the source code of lucasarts oldest adventures. And as darthtuff mentioned, you probably won't be able to get any output out of EAW. So we would be probably better off with making our own game :D

I'll add my two cents here. I'm currently planning to make a 4x space strategy myself (and hopefully with the help of my friends). I want it to be based mainly on diplomacy/warfare and it'll use C++/OpenGL. But it'll need some free time first :(

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Well i'm just finishing law studies and as far as i know as long as this game is free you can use all images you find. Just give credits to authors.

Sweet :twisted:

I was not playing EAW too much (i will reinstall it to check this out this evening) so i don't remember if ship's damages are carried out to strategic part of EAW (like in Rebellion) but even if they don't it's still not that bad, maybe not perfect but always better than battles in rebellion. But we can deffinetly "intercept" data about nuber of ships that survived a battle.
Well, looking for this information in memory would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, if it would be possible in the first place. I haven't played EAW so much too, so I don't remember if it shows some kind of stats concerning surviving ships at the end of combat. And even if it does, it would be still very hard to intercept.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed