State of the Galaxy; where things stand

JediGreg

Hi Folks,

Know things have been a while and I wanted to let you know where things are right now.

First the good news; :D I've decided to roll my own game engine, either using straight DirectX or SDL. I am very pleased by what I am seeing from my initial tests. That, and I've got a pretty complete doc of what I want to do. Also, I do NOT believe that Master of Orion 3 hit on the main concepts I want to cover.

Now for the Bantha dung. Things are at a stand-still. 8O I left my job in Boston last summer to work on another commercial (anti-spam) product (spamcounterstrike.com) that didn't take off as we expected. That, and the world seems to have changed a bit since I pitched this idea to this group a while back... The result is to take care of business at home first, which means job searching and other projects that are short term (financially). I consider this game a long term project--- maybe it'll be out before Episode 3!

I do very much appreciate everyone's continued support and patience. I also realize that you, like me, just want a good game to play. If you feel frustrated about the lack of progress, I feel the same thing 10-fold.

That, or perhaps this is one of Master Yoda's teachings in real life: patience...

May the Force be with us all!

Greg Postlewait

(JediGreg)

PS: if you must, send the flames to me directly at greg@gpconsulting.com

Greg there are no flames coming your way, and if anyone does send them, i will personally extiguish them. We all appreciate your committments and understand that unfortunately you cannot devote your every waking hour to Star Wars, if i could i would too.

Anyways, good luck getting yourself sorted, and we hope to hear from you every so often.

Keep up the good work.

:)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Go Greg! Thanks for posting again after a while, man. We realize that working on a game alone (right?) is a difficult task. Maybe along the way you will find some people to help you out. The game will be ready when it's ready; I think we are all mature enough to realize that (though I am not certain). We also understand that it may not ever be ready. On the bright side, the long period allows us to refine our lists of features we would like in the game. Thanks again for all your dedication.
Hello

• 3 months later...
Guest Admiral_Antilles
Hey Greg.... are you planning to market this new game in any way or is this just gonna be for us Rebellion faithfull?

I don't think it would be legal to market this game with the Star Wars name and/or characters its Illegal. Only if you get the Okay from Lucas however then its cool. This however does not affect the game if its free. Hope that helps.

• SWR Staff - Executive

The point of the Rebellion 2 discussion is:

1) We know LEC has no interest in making a sequel.

2) We do have an interest in it.

3) We have someone interested in programming it.

Currently we are looking towards JediGreg's program to be an independent game. Given enough tools to mod, we at SWR would be working on a mod to turn his game into Star Wars. He would not be marketing a "Star Wars" game and we would not be selling a game.

All and all, a pretty good proposition. We just have to wait until Greg gets up on his feet again. Granted, this could take years to develop, but we've wait this long.... patience is a virtue.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Allow me to trim your beard, my friend! :lol:

Say, me and Scathane have had reasonable success contacting Lucasarts and game developers in another forum; Scathane more than me, but the objective is still there; if you could contact the game's developers, what would you ask?

Any thoughts/contributions, Evaders?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

IF you could contact the original Rebellion game developers AND convince Lucasarts to publish a sequal to Rebellion (two completely separate tasks, mind you), then I would ask: make the game and don't screw it up.

Guest Admiral_Antilles
Well i think i speak for all in saying no matter what Jedi Greg we are all behind and you're to-be game. Good luck and May the force be with you. :D

• 2 months later...

Thanks! I've been out-of-work for nearly 6 months now and JUST got into a contract.

The upside is it gave me some good time to think about and do some more technical design work. I'm definately leaning away from writing it in Delphi, and seriously considering .NET/C# as the main development language. Before the flame war starts, know that I have been one of .NET's biggest critics over the years, and only recently dug into it (for purposes of employment). Its not only okay, its quite good. It has full support for DirectX built in, and has a lot of features that make dynamic content loading very easy (think MODs!) Probably the best news people will like is that you (the community) will be able to build your MODs in .NET as well, meaning you can choose C++, C#, or VB as your language of choice (actually, Delphi too!)

Time to get back to work! Thank you all for the positive thoughts and comments. Rebellion2 is not forgotten...

May the Force be with us all!

Greg

Wow, a response that quick. Hehe. Actually, my dad wrote a book on .Net/C#, so he knows a lot about it. I, however, know nothing about it. :P I am glad you landed a contract, honestly and truly. It's really tough to be without work. :( I'm all for whatever is easiest for you and the community, and with such a wide range of choices individual modders can make on the game mods, I doubt anyone will feel alienated. Sounds like a good choice, although I really do suck at programming stuff. ;)
Hello