Role of Fighters in battle

masterdom

I think one of the main problems with Rebellion 1 was the Star Fighters during battle. First of all, I was getting to stages in games where if I didn't have 100 squadrons I would lose. This is not realistic at all. I want Reb II to be like the novels where you can only have 5 or 6 squadrons in a huge battle and win. I think this problem stems from the fact that a squadron is too cheap and represented by only one ship on the battle screen. Imagine how fun it would be to be able to put famous characters like Wedge, Luke, Han, Jaina etc into fighter squadrons and actually lead them if their own special techniques and tactics.

PLease think about it and reply with your own ideas as star fighter dog fights can be one of the most exciting things in SW.

\

I have to agree on some points being made... particularly the issue of late game battles involving 100+ fighter groups.

As Masterdom pointed out, there is a disparity in having so many fighters in a single battle... however, Rebellion was never designed as a dog-fight kind of game either - that aspect was left to games such as any of the TF games or XWA. If you're talking about being able to place characters on fighters, they would have to include some kind of parameter to limit it to only 1 character, and to disallow special forces - otherwise you'd have Interceptors with a dozen people/spec.ops running around the galaxy. Another point to remember is how easy it is to lose a fighter in combat (at least in RebI) - and as such you'd be losing characters/pilots left and right.

I would like to see a limitation put on the numbers of characters and spec ops that a given ship could hold though (I can't really see how 50 units of noghri could hang out in a lambda shuttle), as well as a limit on the number of fighters a planet could realistically support w/o carriers present.

I can't help but think that trying to incorporate dog-fighting into RebII would detract from it's essentially strategic nature... special missions might be a viable option though, particularly where the Death-Star run is concerned. :wink:

-Monsh

I think there should certainly be a limit on starfighters. I think we discussed this earlier, but I think starfighters should be treated like independent squadrons, capable of having flight leaders (instead of Admirals) and issuing attack orders independently (such as three squadrons of X-Wings being sent on an attack run on an Imperial fleet themselves).

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Guest JediIgor

Actually, the Commanders are the fighters' flight leaders if my memory serves correctly :).

Personally, I think it wouldn't be too shabby if you could place characters onto a fighter, and they could have a really high chance of surviving too :).

If a character is within a fighter, depending on its combat and its leadership rating the squadron would attain a rank of legendary or something like it. It would make them really hard to destroy. A squadron with twelve characters would be indestructible. AGain those twelve having high leadership and combat ratings...
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

All good ideas, another thing to think about is the amount of attacking options a player has when using starfighters or caps. Maybe instead of the old up, down, left and right attacks with stand off or advance maybe we should consider having actual plans that have been created in the novels.

eg- Thrawn had different techniques for different types of comanders. Maybe we REB II sould be made so each different race of admirals, captains, commanders etc has his own certain style of battle that you can either choose to implement in battle or take on the enemy your self.

This idea could have TREMENDOUS potential for both Caps and starfighters alike and would give the player more options in battle.

P.S - Glad to see i'm not the only one who is annoyed by the amount of squadrons in battle. We need to make squadrons way more expensive.

\

Actually, the Commanders are the fighters' flight leaders if my memory serves correctly :).

I know that! :P

Commanders have to be on a capital ship...I mean having Flight Leader's assigned to fighters as stand-alone units! :D

More tactics would be nice...BTW, does anyone ever assign fighters to protect cap ships? I tried it once, and the stupid fighters just kind of buzzed around without actually joining the fray. :x

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

you could have an invincable squadron if you placed horn, wedge, etc all in one squadron, but only 1. not that many of the characters are fighter pilots. and everyone you shoved into a fighter couldnt be doing other stuff...if you had aenough people in squadrons, you couldnt have anyone doing diplomacy, capture/espionage/uprising etc etc.

Would simply be personnel management.

Edited by TalonNemesisKarrde

Unless there were more characters in Reb II! :D:D:D

But think of the Imperials...can anybody think of more than one or two pilots in the Empire? Sure, the Rebs have everyone in Rogue Squadron, Wraith, etc. but the Imps would be pilot-deficient, unless some were just made up...Pilot VV-47, Pilot BN-29, etc.

I don't like the idea of one side having more characters for certain missions...especially when the Empire would be at a disadvantage...

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

Erm...excuse me... :oops:

Support the USA!

Yeah, all the 'Black' guys, Vaders wingmen in the battle of Yavin. Problem is, all the books are written from the point of view of the Rebels, so there's little need to have that many well known Imperial pilots. Also the Imperial strategy of 'disposeable' pilots negates fame for individuals, except for those who truly excel.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Ok...ya got me! :lol:

Great job with the list, by the way Nemesis! 8)

Support the USA!

• 3 months later...

I think the way how fighters are managed in Reb1 is the right way but it will be much better if more different actions are possible for Fighteres (attack enemy fighters, attack enemy bombers, stay close to a capital ship,

cover the own bombers)

"I am growing stronger with the Force"

Hmm, good ideas. :D

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif