Rebellion Remake Release Demos!

Slocket

Here is a clean spot to release progress on various parts of the Rebellion Remake game. It will change with each time I have better code. I have the tactical battle engine fairly down, so I am not placing that part here yet. I worked on that back in Nov 2009 and its mostly finished. It turns out the toughest part is the strategic portion.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ai5aswydel9krza RebRel0001.7z New Version 3-3-2011

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7986/rebstrat0001.jpg

Edited by Slocket

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very cool, and I'm looking forward to trying it when I have a free moment. However, an .arc file? I assume that's some sort of an archive. Why not use something that people can actually open without digging up obscure software?

legacy removed---edit OK here is 7z :) Once I know it is working in all phases, then I dump more code chunks into it and finish off the GUI 100%.

These are the beta test as i go to building the final game. :mrgreen: You feedback is very valuable to let me know I am getting it correct.

The planet ownership and loyalty is set for random right, now, though using GalaxyMapper they can be set from the start manually once I get more options up and running, and put is a save function,

plus some loyalty bars underneath the planets in the next chunk.

Edited by Slocket

Thanks, Antonius.

This looks pretty cool. I think I managed to make everything work that you wanted to work at this point. The movie played, and I was able to open sector maps (3 out of the 4 sectors visible, the sector in the northeast of the map doesn't open). Sluis sector was flippable. I was able to get the imp droid to say things by clicking on him, too.

The cockpit colors seemed off or limited or something like that. Not sure why.

Keep it up! :)

Thanks, Antonius.

This looks pretty cool. I think I managed to make everything work that you wanted to work at this point. The movie played, and I was able to open sector maps (3 out of the 4 sectors visible, the sector in the northeast of the map doesn't open). Sluis sector was flippable. I was able to get the imp droid to say things by clicking on him, too.

The cockpit colors seemed off or limited or something like that. Not sure why.

Keep it up! :)

That is exactly what should work. That build i did not finish with all the sectors yet. So far everything is working. I assume you could hear the music and sound play. Next if everyone has it working, I know then the DB code is good to work so then I can finish it quickly and put up a newer build with more things added. The cockpit image is straight from the disk. It was originally 640*480 stretched to 1024*768 so it does look a bit odd. It is missing all the option hot spots except for choosing Empire or Rebel side. Thanks for the feedback.

I used the free version of Dark Basic Pro. I wonder if you found the Rebellion.exe trying to connect with the internet -if it does I may have to buy the full version compiler because of its limitations.

I saw this yesterday, and will get it up and working later today. Feedback to come.

Thank you. I await your answer. So far, I have had two feed backs. I would be grateful for your feedback to see if the code is working. :)

It works! For the most part, anyway. I found it amusing that when I clicked the Rebel side, the Imperial opening movie played, but I bet that's just because you haven't put the Rebel movie in yet.

From your descriptions, everything works as intended at this point, except one thing. Three of the sectors can be opened, but all three have issues closing. Sometimes when I click the x to close them, they do immediately, while other times I have to move the mouse around the x clicking until they go away. Same is true of the one sector which can switch sides on the screen; sometimes it moves immediately (as intended), while other times it takes a few clicks.

I tried a variety of things, but couldn't find a pattern that you could test with and always get the same result. The only pattern I seemed to see was that each time I started a new game, if I clicked on the Sesswenna sector first, it had problems closing. But only that first time. I'm not sure if that information helps you, as it may not behave that way on your computer, but I really couldn't find any patterns.

I ran it under Win7 64bit. If you want, I can also do tests on Win 2000 Pro (which is 32bit), but I haven't done so yet.

As another thought, with your next build you should add in the ability to return to the main screen. That will help us test things, as we can easily go from a new game to the main screen again without restarting the game. Not a big deal, just a thought.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback. I am really kicking this project into high gear, no more dithering around. I may have used an odd language, but the computer does not care, it is all ones and zero in the end. I can do DarkBasic Pro has the ability to do rather complicated 3D stuff that I would have needed to know DX and C language very much more than I do now.

I have a new demo with the full core universe here soon before the weekend. The same movie was playing for both sides, it was just a test. I have both movies now rebel and empire. It was funny how they thought they were being recruited for the Rebels, only then to their horror spirited away to press join the storm trooper ranks -good recruiting trick .:)

The textures are stretched by 1.6 from original 640*480 material to fit 1024*768. Later some artist can replace it with better high resolution picture. Even later kick it to 1280*960 something to fit wide and regular screens. You can stretch the window box to make it bigger to see.

Possible fix maybe for a close sector window bug being slow, there was a redundant delete image array call which was the wrong variable type. I could not reproduce it, but it may have been on other video cards and how the back buffers get flushed, anyway it should not do it anymore.

I added in a 'back to Main Option Window' hot key using the letter "O". It stops the program and returns back to the main Cockpit selection window.

Added the options planet Loyalty and Ownership random or manually (set X Y using Galaxy Mapper Editor inside StarMap.dat manual data). Option.dat is a simple hex file. default is ON. (window mode On. Cutscene On, Music Volume, Ownership Random On, Loyalty Random On)

You can now use that to make any galaxy you want up to 30 sector and 300 planets. Now I modeled only the standard universe vanilla. But as DarthTex made a Mod to model the real SW galaxy, he would find this interesting.

I hope to place the loyalty bars underneath planets and make the character list so you can run missions such as Diplomacy, Abduction, Espionage, Attack each other, and Incite/Subdue Rebellion for a test for the AI in this release or the next release before the weekend. Plus a basic save/load function. I may throw in the basic 3D tactical battle part with ISD and Rebel ship fighting so you can get a feel for it. There is no direct human control yet (ships fight automatically according to their basic script for now), but it is a chance to see it in action yourself instead of pictures.

Edited by Slocket

Sounds good! Thanks for the option to return to cockpit- that will help with tests. So will the save/load functions.

Just a thought connected to the graphics issue; do you plan to make it possible to use models already made for Rebellion? I guess I'm just curious about the tactical battle graphics... can't wait to see it!

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

I am using models that were from here in the download sections and others who had the original skins. You can see some in game pictures of the tactical 3D part in other threads. That is if the pictures are still being hosted after two years.

So yes it is the same models - they are in .X format. Some of the graphics such as better laser' hit shots' and shaders for the engine glow I have not finished yet, since I want to get the basic code down. The rest is just ice cream on the cake and anyone that knows shaders can add them back in as was in Warlords Mod. DB engine supports All the formats of special effects through DirectX 9.0c

Indeed the hot key makes easier for me test the game as I write. I disabled the cut scenes too to make it faster in option.dat

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8461/imperator2db6.jpg

I'm just gonna state what my interests are when it comes to a remake, for no particular reason ;):

1. Interface and its effect on playability (e.g. not having to re-set the same self-espionage mission every couple rounds on every goddamn planet would be nice)

2. Elimination (or at most optionality) of cheesy/exploity multiplayer tactics (ghost fleeting, suncrushing etc.)

3. Improved AI

4. Improved balance (ideally: optional/moddable)

5. removed/optional natural disasters

6. ...

10. Better graphics.

Just sayin ;).

Artistic need for making planet pictures and pretty much anything a picture in the game (plus 3D ship and fighter models in .X format plus the skin textures). Dark Basic Pro is quite different from anything else I ever used, but it has a lot of powerful commands and 3D without having to know a four year degree in Computer Science. Though it is limited in the sense your not going to make a new Assassin's Creed III with it. Now there is Dark GDK which uses Microsoft free compiler Visual Express and is written in C++ and that would lend much faster speed to the program and would be good for a next iteration from this version in the future when everyone has a 1080i wide screen monitor and want very high resolution and animation without breaking the CPU.

As for features, I read over much the top 5 essentials for a remake and much of that has been said. Indeed Espionage mission should be semi automated better if the player wishes :lol: , plus those natural disaster ON/OFF and you can set the frequency in the constants.dat file. I do not like a lot of micromanagement when you get to 200+ planets to take of each turn. I think I could no worst in making a smarter AI I hope. :mrgreen:

I was mulling over the Real galaxy map compared to the vanilla map. I left the vanilla map since it may have to do with game play reason (remake is the name). But you can place in DarthTex Mod for the real galaxy accord to cannon.

not right 'now', but to transfer the code from basic to GDK using MS Visual Express free compiler in C+, but I am not that far yet.....soon enough. Thanks, I will know more here soon about performance speed.