Rebellion Remake Release Demos!

Slocket

I downloaded windowsgame6.rar. After unpacking it, I find four .exe files. Each file, when I try to open them, I get the following dialog box:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/Mitth_raw_nuruodo/SWRebellionerror.jpg

The only difference between the error messages is the name of the file.

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

public Game1()
       {
           graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);
           Content.RootDirectory = "Content";
           graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 1920;
           graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 1080;
           graphics.ApplyChanges();
       }

string[] aPlanetNameText =File.ReadAllLines("../PlanetName.txt"); // "ReadAllLines" convenient perfect fit format = as one large string array. Names of Planets.       
       string[] aPlanetPosText = File.ReadAllLines("../PlanetPosition.txt");  // "ReadAllLines" prefitted in as one large string array. Those are integers characters of text.
       string[] aPlanetLoyText = File.ReadAllLines("../PlanetLoyalty.txt");
       string[] aPlanetOwnText = File.ReadAllLines("../PlanetOwner.txt");
       string[] aPlanetTexText = File.ReadAllLines("../PlanetTexture.txt");

/// <summary>
       /// Allows the game to perform any initialization it needs to before starting to run.
       /// This is where it can query for any required services and load any non-graphic
       /// related content.  Calling base.Initialize will enumerate through any components
       /// and initialize them as well.
       /// </summary>

It is not finding the text files because of the directory structure. Tht whole folder is the complete directory taken from Visual Express 2010. Of course it works on my computer. Here try this one exactly as it is after you unRAR it. There is s only one EXE is it. It should find the text files (that is so you you easily edit stuff using a basic text editor).

that" ../ filename" should look in the directory relative to the EXE for that file 'up one' forward slash each dot.. i thought.

http://www.filedropper.com/rebellion2013 :P

Hello, i am a german rebellion player. I have seen this topic. Nice screens. I have wuestion to the status of the mod.

Have it a new KI ?

Thanks you for your interest. I just got back to working on it. Main thrust is complete rewrite into a common language C++ using XNA 4.0 from original DarkBasic. It will have a new AI since the original one was dismally stupid. Plus I had to convert and make new artwork or scrounge off the internet wide screen format and a new UI for modern 9:16 displays. Go ahead and see if that last small test UI will work on your computer.

Looks good. I can scroll around by left-clicking and dragging, and can move the "sector view" window that came up when loading. However, it loads off-screen. Can't seem to figure out how to bring it back to the center, nor resize the window. Tried window mode, various compatibility settings (like scaling and running in lower resolutions), etc. Also, when minimizing and maximizing again, I lost the "sector view" window. Not sure if it's just hiding somewhere off screen, or if it actually disappeared.

Running in Win7 64bit.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

OK that is correct and it is not crashing :) . I forgot to add the initialization/check if valid range> for the mouse variables, such as when leaving focus (minimizing and maximizing the window or starting up at first). Thanks for the feedback and let me fix that real quick.

Notice you can click on a planet and at the bottom a more detailed view of what is on the planet will come up in the pop up box along the bottom of the UI. What should it contain? I thought would be nice to see a more detailed Planet defenses and industry with population Size troop level. Without having to open up the Planet surface window. Let me photo shop up ?add some more code to give an idea. UI feedback is welcomed.

Example 3 Laser LNR II cannon + Picture maybe. 8 Storm troopers ( or just total point value of troops), A blue circle Halo around planet to show fully shielded and half circle if troops can still invade...Industry and mine economic level.

OK that is correct and it is not crashing :) . I forgot to add the initialization/check if valid range> for the mouse variables, such as when leaving focus (minimizing and maximizing the window or starting up at first). Thanks for the feedback and let me fix that real quick.

Notice you can click on a planet and at the bottom a more detailed view of what is on the planet will come up in the pop up box along the bottom of the UI. What should it contain? I thought would be nice to see a more detailed Planet defenses and industry with population Size troop level. Without having to open up the Planet surface window. Let me photo shop up ?add some more code to give an idea. UI feedback is welcomed.

Example 3 Laser LNR II cannon + Picture maybe. 8 Storm troopers ( or just total point value of troops), A blue circle Halo around planet to show fully shielded and half circle if troops can still invade...Industry and mine economic level.

I think the blue halo to show shields is a great idea for the at-a-glance view.

I did not notice that. I can only pull up a detailed view by clicking on the planet's name, not the picture. Also, once I have clicked on a planet's name, the detail view doesn't seem to have a means of closing manually, timing out on its own, or being replaced by clicking on another planet. Perhaps the detail view should show up when the mouse hovers over the planet? If the user clicks, the view stays up so it can be interacted with, but the hover view could function to quickly check a planet's status.

Hm... what to put there... I like having some things visible at a glance, as in stock Rebellion. That would be loyalty and the presence of a fleet. It would be nice for idle personnel to be viewable at a glance, without setting any views. Not that views have no place- having the stars show up from the galaxy view is important. But the things I want to see most often when playing Rebellion are: Loyalty, Fleets, Idle Personnel, and Idle Facilities. The presence of mines/refineries or the presence of some sort of defenses were of much lower importance to me. Available energy was also occasionally useful; not sure if it should be viewable at a glance.

For the detail menu, regardless of whether you use a hover-over function, a click-on function, or both, I would want defenses and facilities. Assuming other things like loyalty are visible without the detail view, you could do something like this: [2] [1] [0] [5] [3] [etc]

Each set of brackets represents a picture with a number. The first could be active personnel. The second, total troop regiments. Third, total fighter squadrons. Fourth, total defensive emplacements. Also nice to see here would be total factories (possibly broken down by type), perhaps the total number of capital ships in orbit or a calculation of fleet strength (could be computed based on numbers of certain ship classes, or on total hull damage it would take to destroy the fleet, or something else). And any of the things I mentioned before that you chose not to make visible at a glance should be in this detail view (such as available energy). The color of the icon can represent what faction the units are made up of; a red fleet icon of [5] would represent the presence of five Alliance capital ships, while a half-red, half-green [3] for personnel could represent three active operatives, of which some are Alliance and some are Imperial.

I think simply knowing how many troop regiments are present is enough for a quick view. If I want to know what operative is active on a planet, or whether the troops are Sullustians or Mon Calamari, I could open up the planet's full view.

It is not finding the text files because of the directory structure. Tht whole folder is the complete directory taken from Visual Express 2010. Of course it works on my computer. Here try this one exactly as it is after you unRAR it. There is s only one EXE is it. It should find the text files (that is so you you easily edit stuff using a basic text editor).

that" ../ filename" should look in the directory relative to the EXE for that file 'up one' forward slash each dot.. i thought.

I'm seeing a 0kb download at this link. Is there a problem at my end or with the server?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I'm seeing a 0kb download at this link. Is there a problem at my end or with the server?

I see the file just fine. Use the "Download This File" link in white text with a grey box, just below two text fields for URL and Embed. You'll know its the right link when it asks you to prove you're human with a Captcha. The other links are ads.

I did that and nothing happened. I'll try with my wife's computer later today and report back.

If you are blocking scripts, you will have to unblock filedropper.com. If you use a separate download assistant, you may have to use the default browser version instead. Also, I'm using Firefox.

http://youtu.be/2NKwwejhW0g

This is me unpacking and trying to open the .exe file. If anyone can identify what I'm doing wrong, or tell me what files need to be added/moved/deleted please do so. If no one can help I might have to follow Tex's example and refrain from participating in the testing phase.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Looks perfect.

Hey Slocket, are there specific runtimes that must be installed to run the game? Or any other background libraries/resources Mitth may not have, which you and I apparently do have?

Hi, I think he is missing the xna framework redistributables. Mitth try this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914 and let us know how it goes.

I will absolutely get those installed then, just as soon as I take care of the Trojan that corrupted one of my system32 files. My disc drive crapped out on me a few months back, and I never got around to replacing it. It'll be next Friday before I can consider getting one, maybe longer with having just adopted our bulldog last night.

Thanks for the help, guys.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I played around with it for about 2 minutes. The only thing I wanted to ask was:

the interface seems too large for the container, i.e. the galaxy map + frame is large enough to require scrolling. Is this intentional? I just realized that it may be that the intent was to have a "zoomable" map, but in that case, shouldn't the frame itself remain fixed while the galaxy changes size? OR, am I just noobing it up? :)

It was more to make accessing a planet of 300 quick and easy then to drill down four layers to pick something. In this game there is an object and a target so a person wants two windows open. Probably more trouble than it is worth. I am going to go with leaving the background galaxy map static at one set zoom. You can then move the sector window panel that pops out when clicked on a sector to show planets moveable in order to position them in a nice spot so both windows object + target can be open and not interfere with each other, or what is on the galaxy map behind it.

• 1 month later...

This looks awesome - HUGE thumbs up!!

Two questions if I may?

1. Could anyone point out the download link please? - every link I've tried doesn't seem to have anything attached: could just be me being stupid/unobservant.

2. Is there anything I might do to help? (sorry - no programming skills :( unfortunately)

• 2 months later...

I have my computer up and running again!

I've downloaded and installed xna redistributables 3.1 and 4.0. I still can't open the exe.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• 3 weeks later...