Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post subject: Re: Rebellion UI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:50 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Alright, several hundred pages of tutorials later, I feel a bit better about this. I think I'm going to go ahead and code it in Unity and then switch over to Panda when I'm happy with what I've got. A couple of reflections:
1. Unity isn't completely visual, just visual enough to be annoying.
2. Visual programming isn't slower, it's just more frustrating, since it doesn't have the instant gratification of typing.
3. Visual programming has its benefits. It forces you to think about class structure in different ways. When I go back to Panda, I'm going to change some things around.
4. Unity's graphical tools are really nice. Built-in particle editor? Yes please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 pm 
<!-- Admiral -->

This is sounding like good stuff... I can't wait to see what you come up with as it comes along!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

Rebbelion interface is a good tuff subject. Doing the old way does lead to a lot of clickfest. The Sins way is a 3D zoom-able. We are trying to show the huge overall picture, yet show easily the small four or five layers deep. The Huge vs the Small view. I would imagine any commander in the military would like a system to show that.

Some times I am think about going the Sins way...doing 4 levels of Window like UI is well, similiar to the old, but I do manage to get rid of one level by displaying the info on lets say planetary assest down below upon the screen using the higher resolution we have today, as a hover over pop-up.

I have been mulling this for a year. I think I should just show some workable examples of a zoom in feature (oddly my mouse button scroll does not work very well, took me a while to figure that one out, so it would need a zoom analog calibration screen). I can finish the older , almos the same old Reb interface, but wow it would be nice just to zoom in and see it all there in 3D. I believe most peeps will have the bigger computers to play by then, if it works on my old dog of a Pentium 4 2.8 MHz I think it will be OK.

Hopefully please do not laugh if I never finished all the old systems since once you really get into it...there is no turning back, else wasted time. I do have the old version style of discreet layer zoom as they did in the original. But yet it really is not fun keeping track of that huge mess....Evaders99 may have been right after all on going the SoGE way of doing the Huge vs Small UI.

The GUI is not a trivial problem..that we all can agree upon. I say just try out some ideas and see what sticks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:07 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hi

We are 3 developers that have the game www.spaceraze.com

The UI is a not the best but I think you can get some ide's about fleets, capital ships, squdrons, VIPs and troops.

Create a account and start a game in the world "Spaceraze expanded (Star wars style)" or the game world "The Last Great War (have ships, VIPs, troops, research and planet buildings(Wharfs, shields, cannon and more))".

Hope you get some ide's

Profile E-mail