Welcome Anonymous!
We host quality Star Wars sites - inquire at The Star Wars Rebellion Network  
SW:Rebellion Network
imminent-bean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:09 am 
<!-- Grand Admiral -->

Well, having nothing better to do, I would be more than willing to be the PR guy for the game, and the site!! Ill write up a FAQ of what were are aiming to do, but to do that i will need some more info about goals for the game. I was bored at work, so I came up with some basic questions which will help outline the game somewhat.

- We already know the game is free, but will donations to keep the game running be welcome?

- Can you sell/trade supplies/troops/vessels to other players if need be, even members of the opposing factions?

-Will there be an open market to sell such things on?

- Can Independents sell to all factions directly, regardless of who they started out as?

- Do the space and ground battle run like they did in SW Rebellion, or will there be a new system for them?

- If you choose to become an Independent, will there be a seperate rank system for you and other independents, or will it be the same as your original factions?

- Can you Tax worlds under your control? If so, will taxes being to high cause them to go into revolution? Will to many military untis cause revolution?

- If you have a lack of funds and/or supplies to keep your vessels and facilities running, will they simply degrade over time, or will they simply be destroyed until you are back under "budget"?

These are what I have for now, and will help in the creation of a general FAQ for the game, along with what you have already informed us of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 am 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Wow Eville stuff is really cool! Would love to get some of his work into SW GCW. We won't be doing true 3D environments cuz it would be TOO resource intensive for a Flash Web Browser based game however... I did some experiementation taking a SW 3D model and converting it in Swift3D and then inporting the 3D vector image into Flash. The results were pretty good... and its all vector so no quality loss. So we'll definately need that for all the ships and facilities for sure.

Just so everyone knows... the game is still in the conceptual level so many things like COMBAT may change.

The website will be set up tonight or tomorow. And I'll breakdown all of the games components and we can dicuss each one to develop it in the best fashion.

Let me quickly tho answer BadSamaritan's FAQ:

Quote:
We already know the game is free, but will donations to keep the game running be welcome?

Yes, the game is and will always be free to play, to pay for server fees we will be accepting donations once the game is live.

Quote:
Can you sell/trade supplies/troops/vessels to other players if need be, even members of the opposing factions?

Yes, you can sell anything to anyone, no matter which faction.

Quote:
Will there be an open market to sell such things on?

Commodity Exchange facilites can be built in any system that act as a an open market.

Quote:
Can Independents sell to all factions directly, regardless of who they started out as?

Absolutely.

Quote:
Do the space and ground battle run like they did in SW Rebellion, or will there be a new system for them?

Combat both space and ground will play out in a new kind of system. While still in the conceptual stage, at this point given the fact that SW GCW is a browser based game and units can be attacked at any time even when a player is logged off, combat will be auto-resolve. However, a battle may take several minutes or longer to auto-resolve given the size of the fleets in question. This is to add more realism and strategic methods to the game, where you could "hold up" or distract an enemy fleet while another fleet attacks a primary target.

Quote:
If you choose to become an Independent, will there be a seperate rank system for you and other independents, or will it be the same as your original factions?

At this point it will be the same as the original faction... perhaps we can build a "independent" system where if you say are Imperial and breakoff to become an Independent you are no longer part of that rank system.

Quote:
Can you Tax worlds under your control? If so, will taxes being to high cause them to go into revolution? Will to many military untis cause revolution?

Yes you can tax worlds under your factions control. Yes high taxation will cause your faction's influence to drop. Too many military units will not cause a revolution.

Quote:
If you have a lack of funds and/or supplies to keep your vessels and facilities running, will they simply degrade over time, or will they simply be destroyed until you are back under "budget"?

There will be maintenance fees for player and faction facilities and units. Likely the unit will degrade before being destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:23 pm 
<!-- Colonel -->

-Bashes head against the wall mutiple times, pausing now and a again to have a fit of laughter before bashing his head into the wall again-

...You realize if you put Star Wars in the title and Lucas Arts finds out about it they will watermelon you up the arse with a splintery stake.

Oh, and Krytos I hate you! I want CS2 so much, how much did it cost you?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 pm 
<!-- Grand Admiral -->

Sweet, thanks for all the answers man. Ill get to writing a abbreviateed FAQ for the game tomorrow.

But for now, I sleep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:13 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

No worries BadSamaritan. Wait until the new site is up... 1 day. And I'll make u a moderator to mod the official FAQ thread. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:37 pm 
<!-- Jahled //-->

Aenivae_Ikeda wrote:
-Bashes head against the wall mutiple times, pausing now and a again to have a fit of laughter before bashing his head into the wall again-

...You realize if you put Star Wars in the title and Lucas Arts finds out about it they will watermelon you up the arse with a splintery stake.

Watch your language dude. :o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:18 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

Since this is more relevant to Rebellion 2, it's been moved :)

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.
- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -
The cake is a lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 pm 
<!-- Warlord -->

Aenivae_Ikeda wrote:

...You realize if you put Star Wars in the title and Lucas Arts finds out about it they will watermelon you up the **** with a splintery stake.

Haha, umm like J said - better watch your language and not just in this thread :wink:

As for CS2 - well, my uni uses CS and the art's lecturer insisted we all aquire a working version, and that Photoshop 7 wouldn't cut it (don't know what was with that part, as CS is better though it's hardly revolutionary or THAT special let alone different :? ) . . . as such, all I could "find" (in the manor which best suits BS) was CS2. So it didn't really cost me anything :roll:

I'm going to have to play with its HD image functions now, my brother's already looking for a good still image to use his 20D on just to try out the new function :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hey!
The official development site of SW:GCW is up. There isn't much there - yet - but very soon we will be discussion every facet of the game in hopes to lock down a version 1.0 design build.

Please check out http://www.SWGalacticCivilWar.com - register and post if you wish to become a developer (even a non-technical one). You will then be given rights to the developer forums.

Look forward to seeing you on the new site!
JOnny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:57 pm 
<!-- Corporal //-->

Woot, 3rd person regristed :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:12 am 
<!-- Sergeant //-->

Now is this the Rebellion 2 we've been talking about for months now or is this something new? And if this is a new project, how much of the old Reb 2 stuff will be included or added to this new project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:28 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

This is a NEW project altogether... with no ties to Reb2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:50 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

It's not about the 'Rebellion 2' name - its about the abstraction that is 'Rebellion 2' - a game that can be a logical heir to Rebellion and provide the fun and addictive nature we've got for the original.

There have been several attempts so far, some with more promise than others.
I'm supporting this one, much of it due to the concept work we've seen so far. It is really inspiring - a great way to motivate people and keep them interested.

The cake is a lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:04 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Oh - my bad Evader... I never thought about it quite like that.
Thanks for the props too. Just in the short while we've gotten some great response for SW:GCW and should have lots of "inspiring" things to show very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:15 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith

It's cool. No doubt LucasArts would never let us use the Rebellion 2 name for anything. It would be an instant product copyright problem.

So better to use Rebellion 2 as an inspiration of what this is, rather than an actual concrete name of a product

The cake is a lie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next