Automated Spy mission assignment within systems

BeerSnorkel

One tiring aspect of Rebellion is having to constantly reassign spys to move from one planet to another

spying just so I can keep track of possible enemy movement/invasion.

I would like to see the next generation of Rebellion have an automated defensive spy mission

routine in order to remove the most glaring :evil: 'clickfest' :evil: part.

Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you how much we laughed on the set to have Alec Guinness in a scene with a big, furry dog that's flying a space ship. ~ Mark Hamill

Indeed... you should be able to have that option, so people who want it automatic, can have it automatic.

For those who don't, don't. :roll:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/Dave-Mastor/Cluster6.jpg

• 2 months later...
Sure, I'd be up for that. Just have an option that says "Assign to Planet", and the Spy will just remain on that planet and repeatedly send you information every 20-40 days (or however long they usually take). you'd still have to build at least one for each planet you want to spy on, but it lets you focus on the more interesting aspects of the game, like....building mines! j/k
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Sure, I'd be up for that. Just have an option that says "Assign to Planet", and the Spy will just remain on that planet and repeatedly send you information every 20-40 days (or however long they usually take). you'd still have to build at least one for each planet you want to spy on, but it lets you focus on the more interesting aspects of the game, like....building mines! j/k

Actually I was thinking maybe just have a certain number of spys to assign to a system and they/it can figure out some sort of sequential rotation which will send a smaller number to cover the whole system(you could tell which planets had spys by looking at the map). For instance, for the more fringe systems perhaps 3 spys could cover the whole system. The inner core systems might need more coverage and if you are in a real fight in a system a 1:1 ratio would be necessary. An additional (offensive ops) flag would be needed if you wanted your system spy network to operate on enemy owned or neutral planets.

Perhaps you could have some sort of central spy pool that can be drawn upon from the systems as needed which wouldn't be doing anything except waiting ....

I can't tell you how much we laughed on the set to have Alec Guinness in a scene with a big, furry dog that's flying a space ship. ~ Mark Hamill

I dunno, I'd rather have spies dedicated to one planet since even though I dont want to mess with them, I still want to know where they are. I'm also afraid if they leave it up to the AI then they wont send adequate decoys in. If you've ever had your droid "manage garrisons" then you know that the AI doesnt always do what you want it to.
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

.... If you've ever had your droid "manage garrisons" then you know that the AI doesnt always do what you want it to.

Well, at least we an agree that the spy system needs improvement.

:lol:

I am as anti micro management as can be. So yes, I let C3PO manage all he can so I don't have to. 8)

I'll admit, I let Threeps or Impy manage my garrisons after I've built all the troops I need, but you'll notice how he gives your weaker planets priority over your more valuable ones sometimes. He'll get the job done, just not in the order that you would like it done.

I wouldn't trust the AI to take my pet womprat in a T-16 through Beggar's Canyon to the vet's at Toschee Station. I don't allow it to manage my troops or resources, why on earth (or any planet for that matter) would I let it control espionage missions? Let me think ... the AI controls the opposing side ... the AI controls MY espionage ... I never seem to get any useful information to exploit the AI ... but why??? Of course the AI isn't even smart enough to "cheat" and take some of my information for himself.

Micro-managing is a pain in the neck, but trusting the AI .... whew, you must really trust in the Force (*** slowly whistles, shaking my head from side to side ***).

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

True enough for managing garrisons, but once you've already got the enemy on the run, you may as well reserve your super construction yards and have your droid build mines/refineries with those single yards that you never got around to using, that way you can focus on building your fleets and hunting rebel scum

Ah Tex, the age old philisophical question that haunts the gamer. "Does the AI cheat?". It is similar to the "If a tree falls in the forest woth no one to hear it, does it still make a sound?" question.

Trust in the force you must!

I've just remembered i've got a signature!

Of course a tree falling in the forest make a sound. I was there. Oh ... when no one is around ...

The AI is TOO DUMB to cheat 8O . It has its moments, but it can't consistently be competitive.

I'm almost to the point of "cheating" on myself. I put 1 or 2 troops on a system, build no new shields, put no characters in "command" mode, and it still doesn't take my systems (occasionally it will). Of course I don't do this on important systems that have the "super" construction yards, training facilities and shipyards. Too bad the AI can't use "The Force".

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

All I know is that letting the droids manage any aspect of production is a terrible idea. I prefer to take the extra time and energy and do it myself. Those droids are worthless!

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I dunno if I'd call 'em worthless. Its true that the garrisons can be exploited by bombing nonessential areas over and over, but in a large game where you've conquered lots of rim systems, you may as well let the droids work with mines/refineries on unimportant shipyards. You can always change 'em around if they're going to a place you dont like.

• 7 months later...
Why not? I'm way too lazy to manage all those planets! If I find one with a bunch of build points I just turn it off, build what I want and turn it back on. Its a bit of a pain if something is sabotauged to find the planet building the crap, but still...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined. Have had this game since it was first released and was hoping some one had made a mod to make espionage missions more like Diplomacy ones. I.E. a report saying success or failure and a button saying stop or continue.

I'm guessing from this topic that no one has yet??

But espionage missions are almost always successful unless you send a lone droid to planet with garrisons.

They also return info on other systems besides the target. Spreading out 15-20 droids across the galaxy gives you reliable amount of information to go on. Anymore really doesnt offer any greater intel and just increases the micro management.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Well an option to abort mission or continue would still cut down repetitive actions and speed up the pace of the game. I'm suprised that considering there are missions such as diplomacy and incite uprisings that use this method that no one has managed to mod espionage missions to do the same. :?: