Whatdayathink; turn-based or real time?

JediGreg

Which gameplay method would you prefer for Rebellion 2 (AKA GPA)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which gameplay method would you prefer for Rebellion 2 (AKA GPA)

• Turn-based
    • Real-time

The original Rebellion is not really real time, everything happens when a new day happens. So, in essence, you have a long period between turns when each player can do their thing.

I like the fact that each player can do something at the same time, but the scope of what is happening would make real-time management a real challenge for even the most skilled players.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should keep it just how it is. Whether you call it real time strategy or turn based doesnt matter to me, the game is what it is, and it works damn well. :)

--------------------------------

Sorry i haven't posted for a while, things have been a little mad at work.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Yup, you got your "turn-based" (Dr.Evil again :roll: ) gamplay during most of the game

and "real-time" when the action starts :D

Let's keep it that way :!:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Did anyone play Theocracy? It can be configured to slow down automatically when special types of messages arrive. It is what I needed in Rebellion. Switch to very slow and the game become very boring or switch to fast and you miss the oppurtunity to handle situations immediately.

Never played it, but that sounds really good. Were you able to define what sorts of messages slowed it down? Also were you still able to control the time regardless of messages as well.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Yes and yes. :) It can be configured (at any time except battles) how to react automaticaly for message types like "caravan arrived" or "idle worker": No reaction, slowing the time or freezing the time. Of course the game speed is manually adjustable as well.

Sounds good to me, only problem is, there are an awful lot of messages in Rebellion, but then if you set it so only really important things like the capture of one of your major characters affected it then i guess it could be very useful...

i thought about this and i came to the conclusion that i like rebellions version, where both players do what they need to do at the same time as in turn and than it happens at the same time, i just think rebellion is too damn complex to run in real time and whith the both players at the same time bit you dont get bored waiting for the other guy because you got only a certain amount of time and your both done
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

Hehe, I forgot about multiplayer. So the time needs to be syncronized.

Since it is a war that takes years not just a short chain of battles I think the turn based is the only solution for the main game with time limit for each turn.

The missions should be supplemented with instructions on how to continue. Eg: Diplomatic: Repeat until joining to us /Repeat to gain X% popular support, or Sabotage: Repeat until succes and continue targeting the next of this type / Repeat until succes and wait for new orders / Wait for new orders.

What about reinforcements? Will there be?

during battles time should continue so that you can get fleets together. you could have two windows that you can resize and such but the speed automatically goes to the slowest so you can control both screens
Why are people afraid to die? It is a natural part of life. Life and Death. They go together. Some people are just willing to speed up that process.

I disagree. The battles in Rebellion take maybe twice as long as they do in the actual game, which the strategy section of the game takes place thousands of times faster then they do in the game. You shouldn't be able to move in ships from other systems during battle unless both sides reach a stalemate (which would need to be a game feature first).

However, what would really effect the gameplay is multiplay chain of command structure. The command could be determined before the game began and adjusted as it went on. Games would go faster if other individuals could micromanage. I think that microphone support would be an essential feature for this in order to save time from writing messages. Tactical battles would be really fun like this, especially if you were able to micromanage ships' orders. Yeah, this has been suggested before, but I wanted to bring this up because multiplay chain of command would really speed up the game.

I think the game should remain just how it was: Digital real time in the strategy section and pausable real time in the tactics section. I wouldn't really call the normal strategy turn-based since both players act simultaneously and neither of them decide when the turn ends.

Oh, I just came up with a fun idea! How about the game keeps track of a set number of ships in a tactical battle. When a battle is paused, the opposing player can choose to watch recorded footage from the battle. This would be especially nice when one player is away from the computer. :)

Hello

In my reinforcement idea, idle ships can be set to "Give support" state and during tactical the "Ask for reinforcements" button gives a list of available ships and their ETA. But this idea requires far faster hyperdrives and shorter time slices to still feel the difference between the hyperdrives.

What is "digital real time" and what is the difference between that and the simultaneous, time limited turn-based game? In the latter there are two phases:

First, the player has an amount of time to give orders and it will be over when he/she pushes the "End turn" button or automatically when the time is out.

When all player is done comes the second, when the players' units will execute their orders.

I think "real time" as a category can only apply to analog time. If there are time frames at all it can only be a subcategory of "turn based". So, as stated before Rebellion is a turn based space strategy with real time tactical battles despite its official classification. (Maybe this classification was due to marketing, since several players would not even try a turn-based game.)

I think Rebellion crosses the gap, it's not really turn based, there's no button to click and then the Imps do their thing, the Imps act while you do, although you can pause it, it's more real time than it is turn based, kinda like SimCity i guess.

what i was thinking with the reinforcements though is like if you send two fleets from opposite ends of the galaxy to one spot, so thell get there within a day you could hold off with one fleet until the other gets there or you could make trapping tactics and such

It doesn't matter if it's real time or turn based, that wouldn't affect the hyperspace jump. AoE has a clock, so does that mean it's turn based because it has minutes, and could in theory have days....

The hyperspace was mentioned due to reinforcement ideas but this topic is not for those so that was why I said we were off topic.

Chess also has a clock so does it mean chess is a real time game? Of course not. Time measuring does not mean timeframes. Eg.: Panzer General is a turn based game without doubt. It has no clock but has timeframes.

Maybe timeframes is a less than ideal expression see it as phases. However I have found out that I was wrong. Rebellion is not a clear turn based game but a hibrid since things can happen during mid-day: bombardment and planetary assaults.

Indeed, Rebellion IS hard to define, it is neither one nor the other, though it is one of the best in terms of time scale, AoE had most games finished withing about 4 hours, in order to conquor a country, now i suppose with Blitzkreig that's possible, but i like the way it takes 5 years to conqour the galaxy!!!

• 4 weeks later...
i believe that rebellion is a realtime game. Heroes 3 is a turnbased game. the end of the turn is signified bya button that you press. Rebellion is realtime with a clock that you can modifty the speed in which can be modifyied. That is just my outlook
The Force is one and all

I will agree with that Rebellion is a real-time game when one of my fleets first arrives or one of my characters reports during mid- day. But until then Rebellion is a hibrid.

Please do not write again that Rebellion is a real-time game because there is no "end turn" button! Adjusting the game speed you just set the time when that unseen button will be pressed automatically.

If I remeber well MAX (Mechanized Assault and eXploration) 2 was switchable, but I have never played with it. Any experience with it?