Star Wars Rebellion 2 Game Development - The Real Thing

Vector

How would you prefer to develop SWRII?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer to develop SWRII?

• C++, DirectX
    • C++, OpenGL
    • Visual Basic, DirectX
    • Visual Basic, OpenGL
    • Delphi, DirectX
    • Delphi, OpenGL

You cannot skip the "read bytecode instruction -> translate it -> send it to cpu" phase, which is done run time, so there's no way you can entirely eliminate the performance penalty. On the other hand your code will work on all platforms (just like Java), unless you use platform-specific extension, like managed DirectX (which you probably will).

So my point was that i don't see any real advantage in using .NET made modules over common dlls/modules.

And Evaders, the new design looks great!

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

You cannot skip the "read bytecode instruction -> translate it -> send it to cpu" phase, which is done run time, so there's no way you can entirely eliminate the performance penalty.

Actually, that is not right.

The .NET JITer caches compiled code, so it would only be run through the translater once, and possibly ahead of time.

From MSDN:

"Since the MSIL is being compiled just-in-time (JIT), this component of the runtime is frequently referred to as a JIT compiler or JITter. Once the JIT compiler has compiled the MSIL, the method's stub is replaced with the address of the compiled code. Whenever this method is called in the future, the native code will just execute and the JIT compiler will not have to be involved in the process. As you can imagine, this boosts performance considerably."

On the other hand your code will work on all platforms (just like Java), unless you use platform-specific extension, like managed DirectX (which you probably will).

Well, sort of. Except the only real inplimentation of .NET is really the MS Windows one :-) Mono is getting there. I admit I have not looked that direction if a while. Spot on about DirectX though, so as you say it may be a moot point.

On a side note, MS actually have released a free game programming C# version of the VS IDE, complete with more examples then you could ever use.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

But hell, when it comes down to it, use what you feel comfortable with.

Im not much of a developer but I voted for C++/OpenGL. I like C++ and OpenGL as they are platform independent. OpenGL was would be an excellent choice to provide a native linux binary, but from my understanding the newer versions of DirectX along with SDK's make DX far easier to program. The support of Cadega/Wine is getting far better quickly so unless it uses DX10 I don't think it would be much problem to emulate a Windows version in linux.

The other suggestion would be to team up with other enthusiast strategy gamers looking to develop a game for their genre of taste and develop an open source project game engine. Then have a seperate team of model and graphic developers specifically from this site working on our "Rebellion 2" game. If you are going to seriously consider putting time and resources into developing a project of this nature then in the best interest of long-term use and support it would be ideal for the engine to modder friendly and seperate from the game content.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

hmm perhaps we should start a new topic..

I vote c# and managed direct x. C# is a very easy language to learn, and the syntax is similar enough to visual basic and the other .net languages that it should be easy to convert to. Direct X is an industry standard, and there is an absolutely insane amount of documentation for it. XNA would probably be the way to go, although I must admit that I haven't played around with it myself. XNA isn't necessary, it might make things easier however.

as far as using a .net language like c#, speed is not a problem!

heres a video of some of my latest work

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2702795200532525433

that runs at an average of 170 frames per second. I believe that 30 fps is considered to be the standard acceptable frame rate, so for what were doing, we won't have any problems.

as far as a development environment goes.. I'm using visual studio express edition, its free and it works great.

just my 2 cents

http://nordwindranger.com

I should really make a flashy banner

hmm perhaps we should start a new topic..

Hehe, yeah, the poll is missing something... :wink:

as far as using a .net language like c#, speed is not a problem!

heres a video of some of my latest work

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2702795200532525433

that runs at an average of 170 frames per second. I believe that 30 fps is considered to be the standard acceptable frame rate, so for what were doing, we won't have any problems.

Don't forget that you don't render any complicated scenes (but on the other hand, there isn't much to render in space, is there?).

I'd personally go the opensource C++/OpenGL way, as bud mentioned. Besides, there's always chance that the project would attract attention of other opensource programmers and the team would grow (and I bet there are people who would love to help you make a new linux game).

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Im happy with tuxracer and gnometetris ... or at least the latter anyways :roll:

I really prefer having a desktop w/o any games to play... it's the only way I can get my programming class and SQL class homework done. If I boot windows I just sidetracked playing CS:S or MedievalII.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

If this game will be nearly same as the Rebellion - i mean it will use the same graphic engine with event and character pictures, then in this case i will hand over my precious character and other pictures - and even i can make them to look good. I am not an ace using the photoshop, but i've created a lot of character cards.If anybody know my TC - they know what i mean - i've focused to create good looking charaters.

On the other hand, maybe i can help to invent some stories and ingame events.

• 8 months later...

Well, if it uses the same engine as Rebellion (and if it IS Rebellion) this would just be a big mod. Not even that big compared to game that are out now. If we have anyone around here that can do any sort of programming, it would be a better idea just to start the entire thing over. Program everything from the ground up.

And me, I am interested in this project. And as for the whole lawsuit thing, I don't even thing Lucas Arts remembers that was a Star Wars Rebellion game. jk. This game is older than dirt, yet it still has Empire at War beat in many aspects. The only things newer games have on Rebellion is graphics.

And for Rebellion 2, sadly, we would need to move into full 3D. If this game isn't put in 3D, not many people will even take a second look. I can't do anything with 3D, or programming. But I can do a great job with anything in 2D. And I have an excellent knowledge of just about everything star wars. I know the timeline and the technology. And I can come up with story stuff and whatnot...

• 6 months later...

I honestly suggest Java, like we are doing. The game itself is made up of multiple forms. Your sidebar and your personnel menu are both lists, your planet and fleet are in frames, all your icons and all your selectable are action-click able events (withing panels). The easiest way to build the GUI is with Java, which has more frame implementation than the others.

Also, you've got ray tracers which you can build models with... event and sound editors that are explained in the API, OpenGL documentation (if you want it) and they might even have DX9/10 documentation available. I'll post an example of mine once finals are done :)

I honestly suggest Java, like we are doing. The game itself is made up of multiple forms. Your sidebar and your personnel menu are both lists, your planet and fleet are in frames, all your icons and all your selectable are action-click able events (withing panels).

Uh, Although I don't want to dis your oppinion (java is a fine language and has the things you just mentioned)... You do realise that they are standard in practically all 3rd gen languages right?

The easiest way to build the GUI is with Java, which has more frame implementation than the others.
Again, I don't see any benefit one way or the other here. IIRC 'Frame' in Javs is just 'Form' in another language...

Make sure you experiment with other languages then the ones you learn at uni/college/work. It can be very eye opening and good for the career too :-)

Also, you've got ray tracers which you can build models with... event and sound editors that are explained in the API, OpenGL documentation (if you want it) and they might even have DX9/10 documentation available. I'll post an example of mine once finals are done :)

AFAIK there is no useable DirectX wrapper in Java (besides what's the point of binding Java to one specific platform). Also Java doesn't actually have anything other mainstream languages lack. besides most of the game development librares available in Java are just wrappers over their C++ couterparts.

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

Hey I Would Like To Help. I Am acquainted with java, c#,and c++. Also Directx 9.0c and some opengl but not much.

i would recomend that if the project is done in c++ or c# that you look at using a engine like ogre3d or irrlicht.

as this will make building the game quicker. irrlicht being the simpler of the two. but ogre3d being more powerful.

And both have opengl, directx, and software renderer's.