Visual Basic, DirectX 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
Visual Basic, OpenGL 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Delphi, DirectX 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Delphi, OpenGL 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

hmm yes there does seem to be a bit of an underground linux community.

I just downloaded an open source version of Worms (the team combat game). It was horrible, but thats besides the point

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:24 am 
<!-- Major //-->

Try VegaStrike - http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net. It's space trading/shooting game like freelancer/elite/privateer. It has some nice mods, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:22 am 
<!-- Fleet Admiral -->

Im happy with tuxracer and gnometetris ... or at least the latter anyways :roll:

I really prefer having a desktop w/o any games to play... it's the only way I can get my programming class and SQL class homework done. If I boot windows I just sidetracked playing CS:S or MedievalII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:22 am 
<!-- Major //-->

If this game will be nearly same as the Rebellion - i mean it will use the same graphic engine with event and character pictures, then in this case i will hand over my precious character and other pictures - and even i can make them to look good. I am not an ace using the photoshop, but i've created a lot of character cards.If anybody know my TC - they know what i mean - i've focused to create good looking charaters.
On the other hand, maybe i can help to invent some stories and ingame events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 am 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

Well, if it uses the same engine as Rebellion (and if it IS Rebellion) this would just be a big mod. Not even that big compared to game that are out now. If we have anyone around here that can do any sort of programming, it would be a better idea just to start the entire thing over. Program everything from the ground up.

And me, I am interested in this project. And as for the whole lawsuit thing, I don't even thing Lucas Arts remembers that was a Star Wars Rebellion game. jk. This game is older than dirt, yet it still has Empire at War beat in many aspects. The only things newer games have on Rebellion is graphics.

And for Rebellion 2, sadly, we would need to move into full 3D. If this game isn't put in 3D, not many people will even take a second look. I can't do anything with 3D, or programming. But I can do a great job with anything in 2D. And I have an excellent knowledge of just about everything star wars. I know the timeline and the technology. And I can come up with story stuff and whatnot...

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Rebellion 2 Game Development - The Real Thing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
<!-- Lieutenant //-->

I honestly suggest Java, like we are doing. The game itself is made up of multiple forms. Your sidebar and your personnel menu are both lists, your planet and fleet are in frames, all your icons and all your selectable are action-click able events (withing panels). The easiest way to build the GUI is with Java, which has more frame implementation than the others.

Also, you've got ray tracers which you can build models with... event and sound editors that are explained in the API, OpenGL documentation (if you want it) and they might even have DX9/10 documentation available. I'll post an example of mine once finals are done :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:28 am 
<!-- Corporal //-->

DavidAdas wrote:
I honestly suggest Java, like we are doing. The game itself is made up of multiple forms. Your sidebar and your personnel menu are both lists, your planet and fleet are in frames, all your icons and all your selectable are action-click able events (withing panels).

Uh, Although I don't want to dis your oppinion (java is a fine language and has the things you just mentioned)... You do realise that they are standard in practically all 3rd gen languages right?

DavidAdas wrote:
The easiest way to build the GUI is with Java, which has more frame implementation than the others.
Again, I don't see any benefit one way or the other here. IIRC 'Frame' in Javs is just 'Form' in another language...

Make sure you experiment with other languages then the ones you learn at uni/college/work. It can be very eye opening and good for the career too :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:51 pm 
<!-- Major //-->

DavidAdas wrote:
Also, you've got ray tracers which you can build models with... event and sound editors that are explained in the API, OpenGL documentation (if you want it) and they might even have DX9/10 documentation available. I'll post an example of mine once finals are done :)

AFAIK there is no useable DirectX wrapper in Java (besides what's the point of binding Java to one specific platform). Also Java doesn't actually have anything other mainstream languages lack. besides most of the game development librares available in Java are just wrappers over their C++ couterparts.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:11 pm 
<!-- Cadet //-->

Hey I Would Like To Help. I Am acquainted with java, c#,and c++. Also Directx 9.0c and some opengl but not much.
i would recomend that if the project is done in c++ or c# that you look at using a engine like ogre3d or irrlicht.
as this will make building the game quicker. irrlicht being the simpler of the two. but ogre3d being more powerful.
And both have opengl, directx, and software renderer's.

Profile E-mail