DirectX or OpenGL?

TheRegent

Which API would you like used?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which API would you like used?

• DirectX
    • OpenGL
    • Other - please specify

You're going to have to expand; not that I don't know the difference between Direct X and OpenGL ( I had to replace my Voodo card because of this specialized- rubble...), but what are you getting at? :?
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has LucasArts come out w/ a game that DIDN'T use DirectX? I know I don't own any of them if they exist.

Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight II

Knights of the Old Republic

Knights of the Old Republic II

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight II

I know for a fact that both Knights games use directx, because I own them both. If you look at the Jedi Knight II official site you will see that it uses DirectX as well. Jedi Knight I'm not sure of as there are multiple games that use that name. One of them is Dark Forces II which I also own and know uses DirectX. The other is Jedi Academy (another game that I own) and it does use DirectX.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight II

I know for a fact that both Knights games use directx, because I own them both. If you look at the Jedi Knight II official site you will see that it uses DirectX as well. Jedi Knight I'm not sure of as there are multiple games that use that name. One of them is Dark Forces II which I also own and know uses DirectX. The other is Jedi Academy (another game that I own) and it does use DirectX.

http://support.lucasarts.com/tsg/SWKotORIIQuestions/Video%20Issues/OpenGLCompatibility.htm

"To run Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, your video card driver must be using OpenGL 1.4 compatible software. OpenGL is a graphics API (Application Programming Interface) that was originally developed for professional workstations. It is now a standard API for 3D hardware acceleration, utilized in several current 3D games for the PC."

As for the Jedi Knight I & II , both games are built on the Quake3 Team Arena game engine... an OpenGL product like everything else programmed by John Carmack.

Also for clarification. OpenGL is graphics only, there is a similar project for audio known as OpenAL. DirectX is used for both graphic and audio programming. JKI&II use OpenGL graphics, and use DirectX for audio.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

Be that as it may, the games use DirectX. They may not use ONLY DirectX, but they do use it. I think that ultimately what we're arguing over is semantics. I was asking if there was a game that didn't use DirectX at all, you seem to have taken the question to mean is there a game that doesn't use DirectX for graphics.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Be that as it may, the games use DirectX. They may not use ONLY DirectX, but they do use it. I think that ultimately what we're arguing over is semantics. I was asking if there was a game that didn't use DirectX at all, you seem to have taken the question to mean is there a game that doesn't use DirectX for graphics.

I'm sorry, how else was I suppose to interpret the topic "DirectX or OpenGL?"

OpenGL is only a graphics API and since the topic is asking for a comparsion or vote between the two, I would assume we were limiting our discussion to the graphic portion of the DX API.

Also, with the games that are OpenGL and operate under linux. The DirectX audio is replaced with OpenAL or EAX and the sound quality and performance is at par or surpasses DirectX.

Edited by budious