The Ultimate Game Replayability?

igorimp

I've played many, many games (mostly strategy, since I adore them) for the last 10+ years and I can tell you that computer games are honestly getting WORSE! Today, all games seem to be about is graphics. :?

For that reason I've installed a 386 computer with DOS in my room, where I dropped all the 'good, old games' that have greater realism, depth and replayability. I honestly think Master of Orion 1 was some 10 levels ahead of the 3rd; I really think no strategy game today even approaches Master of Magic... and I won't even get into all the mid-1990s games. :roll:

One thing I loved about Rebellion is that same replay value where you can run the game on and on and discover something new in it in your 74th game... :D

That's why I think Rebellion 2 should make the replay value even better by adding things like:

- Standard (SW) galaxy /or/ Random galaxy generated by computer

- Much more sides - Ssi-Rukh, neutrals, etc. - instead of just the offered two (+ability to add your own custom race)

- A standard set of SW characters + a generator that would allow the computer to just make up a character or two as you go along

- More developed 'traitors' allowing characters to really switch sides, not just foil a mission. This would be a gaming disaster; to have Luke switch to the dark side and come after you a moment later.

- A ship / ground troops designing option that would allow you to add your own ship.

- And, of course, an included editor so we can all tamper with it even more. :wink:

I don't think anything of this is unreasonable. :!: So would it be too much to ask to just have a little more in-game depth instead of just snappy graphics?

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

There is only one EMPEROR'S GRAND PLAN.

By the way, the Emperor's not dead... he's just resting...

"Much more sides - Ssi-Rukh, neutrals, etc. - "

YES! I agree. And the neutrals should be at least passively present (army and navy just sitting there) if not active and dimplomatically interactive like so many other games manage to pull off.

"More developed 'traitors' allowing characters to really switch sides, not just foil a mission. This would be a gaming disaster; to have Luke switch to the dark side and come after you a moment later"

YES! But you left out the perpetual request that goes along with this... the ability to actually capture ships (or have them defect)

:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D

:arrow: Well guys...there seem no future for that :) at Lucas !?...to my horror ! :cry:

:arrow: igorimp !.....the only new stuff comes with the rebed and from SWR.com ....anyway since you are a hardcore strategist like me try this two savegames :)

:arrow:http://www.swrebellion.com/hosted/cain/Scenarios/The.Galaxy.of.Horror.zip

:arrow: If you like our style try RDB II SWR forum and you can find a fan design job there. The Force is telling me that the future is in our own hands.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

When i play in Rebellion with a friend always come to me a idea...why the realtime combats ??? i think that a simulated combat with cut scenes of the film or making it with computer will be more interesting...sit down and look how your troops figth !!! and then have the result !

The main reason for the realtime combats is "real time" sells games to the large group of click-n-drool video game players.

The Civ (Meier's civilization) line is the last bastion of turn-based games that emphasize strategy over tactics and/or reflexes.

Not that I'm opposed to a good click-n-drool game like Jedi Academy... I just like variety. Is KOTOR a sign Lucas arts is loosening up? :D

:D:P Droids Rule! Fleshies Drool! :P:D

Yes, unfortunatly, most people think Real-time strategy means that Turn-based is simply outdated. :?

No, it isn't - as Civ 3 proves. It's just that the game manufacturers are afraid to make something that would seem outdated by that concept.

As for player having no-control of battle it can work, too. If you've seen Master of Orion 2, it's ground combat is done in the same way: you don't do a thing, once the transports land, you see the colony in background and your troopers charge the enemy. Looks very impressive. Orion 3 was a step backwards. Now, all you see is the entire planet slowly spinning, while you issue general orders for the army (like frontal charge, flank attack, etc.). They added control, but took away any representation of the battle there was. Now, battle's just a series of numbers rolling.

I honestly think it was better before... :roll:

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

There is only one EMPEROR'S GRAND PLAN.

By the way, the Emperor's not dead... he's just resting...