Aid for textures.

Hutton

Hello everybody,

I want to edit the appearance of a fighter in the tactical game, but Vakundok's wont work for me. If I try to convert a binary file, it just says it can’t. If I use the ‘All .BINs in this directory -> .BMPs’ it crashes.

I’ve tried both versions 0.2 and 0.3. I’ve downloaded them multiple times. I put them in the same folder as the binary folders. I get the binaries by extracting the 303 folder from strategy.dll.

Is there a step I’m missing? Or, is there another method I could use?

You could start by downloading my 'new fighters' tutorial in the Dowloads section here (Category: Main/RebEd/Model Editing/Texture). There I explained, which entries from the 303 folder are fighters, what order their colors are and everything else that should help you.

Btw, did you save the bin files with the 'save resource as a binary file' option in Resource Hacker ?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

I started with your tutorial, thank you for writing it.

I am using Resource Hacker, and I do not see a specific 'save resource as a binary file' command. I save it as an .rc and Resource Hacker spits out a .bin and an .rc that says where it goes. That .bin is the one I try to put though the converter, but alas, my torment continues.

In Resource Hacker select the resource in the browser, eg 3043 (I do not know the numbers) in the 303 folder. Click on it and a 1033 "thing" will appear. Select it and some code will apear on the right. Now you can find the "Save resource as a binary file" under "Action" in the menu.

Ok, I’ve tried it that way, but I get the same result from the converter with .BINs I pull out of resource hacker that way. Are there any other tools I could fool with, even if they are less convenient?

I do not know whether there are any. Especially because Resource hacker can not only view but change the resources too.

So, what did you do exactly?

Did you try to save a single resource and use the bin->bmp function of the converter? Or did you delete the older (wrong) .bin files before using the convert all .bins in a library?

With resource hacker I have tried “Save [303] Resources…” which requires you to save as an .RC, but spits out a bunch of .BINs with it. The .RC is a list of what .BIN goes where in the in the 303 folder.

I have selected an individual 1033 icon from a single subdirectory within the 303 directory, and selected “Save Resource as a binary file…” which spits out a file without an extension, so I just add .bin to the end of it.

I’ve also right clicked on the 1033 icon and saved it as a “Hex Dump (*.txt)” and changed the extension to .BIN.

Both Converter2 and Converter3 won’t open any of these. When I use the “.BIN -> .BMP” option, it says it couldn’t open the file. Using a bitmap file on the “.BMP -> .BIN” option produces same result.

The “All .BINs in this directory -> .BMPs” option always makes the program crash.

I am inclined that something is going wrong with the converter, not the hacker. It looked from your post like you misunderstood that point.

Thank you for your attention.

I have overcome the problem, but not actually figured it out.

The converter program works when it is the first thing I do after rebooting. This leads me to believe that the failure of the converter may have been caused by factors outside of the converter.

I have selected an individual 1033 icon from a single subdirectory within the 303 directory, and selected “Save Resource as a binary file…” which spits out a file without an extension, so I just add .bin to the end of it.

Sometimes it is boring, but this is the right method. (With using DOS style short filenames.) (I am quite lazy, so I do not plan a Windows based Capital Ship Replacer program right now.)

Your overcome of the problem is something new to me. 8O8O8O

But, at least you have results.

• 2 weeks later...

Like vakundok already said, that's it. Also be careful to use short DOS-like filenames with a maximum of 8 characters, cause I don't think the converter will accept longer names. To keep things in order I always make a folder for each fighter, f.e. 'X-Wing' and the bin files are called 'red.bin', 'blue.bin', 'gold.bin' and so on. Then I copy the converter into this folder and convert the bins there.

The convert all feature never crashed any computer I used it on. Are you sure your's is behaving 'normal' (well, as normal as they get :wink: ) the rest of the time ? What operating system do you use ? Could there be other programs running in the background, that might interfere with the converter ? Although I can't think of any, at the moment.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Any joy Hutton?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 4 weeks later...
you're problem is probly when you save it as a binary file you do not type .x behind whatever name you place in and of course .bin for the textures if you have further problems send me a message using the messanger in this service and i will try my best to assist
guildies