Ship Request: Republic Class Star Destroyer

If you were thinking of Republic cruisers from the prequel movies they never existed in the Star Wars universe until 1999. And Old Republic

Star Destroyers some time after 2003.

You are correct: the Republic Star Destroyers that appear in Episode II -- which, incidentally, are sometimes referred to by Lucasfilm as Republic Attack Cruisers -- are the Venator-class Star Destroyer and have nothing to do with the Republic Star Destroyer being discussed in this thread. Given the various naming schemes, I can understand why there can be some confusion.

I was disappointed that Lucas decided to use a new ship instead of the Victory-class Star Destroyer that had been introduced in the Expanded Universe, but the dichotomy has been reconciled by explaining that the two designs were contemporaries forwarded by competing companies (KDY and Rendilli), and it was Kuat that won the government contract. Lucasfilm notes that Lira Wessex designed both the Venator and the Imperator for Kuat while her father designed the Victory for Rendilli.

To move further along my tangent, I just have have to note that the Venator is interesting, however, because it is the direct functional predecessor of the Endurance-class Fleet Carrier, both being slightly over one kilometer long and (despite the Star Destroyer designation of the Venator both are dedicated fleet carriers, with very little anti-capital weaponry and emphasis on anti-starfighter defense, and which carry a large number of fighters (possibly around twelve squadrons on the Endurance and a few dozen on the Venator.)

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, for even your enemies will respect commitment, and a consicence at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.