OFFICIAL: Welcome Thread (New users say Hi here)

castlebooks

holy mackeral, i just realized how long ago you were in EvR.  Heck you guys where there when it was all email, right?  My gosh, how have you been?

if i remember correctly, Kobra, you were from Spain, Mallorca right?

Edited by markb50k

Yeah, that would be me! I moved to the UK in the late 90s though, and I'm in the Netherlands since 2003. DW moved from the Netherlands to France in 2004. So you could say we've been around :-)

What about you? Still in the army?

no, I left the army in 1998, and became a IT programmer, thus EvR and now Galsim.  Well, its awesome having you onboard.  I was hoping players who would contribute alot of thought into how to make this better would join, and so far so good.  some of the other folks playing are vets of my last game and I have enjoyed their feedback and analysis.  Im sure you can provide the same.

If you see anyone with some really dumb fleet formations, that is probably me XD. I like small ships and I cannot lie!

Anyway joking aside. This seems pretty cool. From what I've read the battles are supposed to be pretty realistic. Well as realistic as you can get with the SW universe.

Well topic says all :P

EDIT:now that i have some time better say something more.

i have never played this game but have played many ST strat games and there rpg,ect

the screenies i have seen reminds me of a game called battleships forever

Edited by Stevefin_warlords

Welcome.  Yeah, I am running that from my house, so I will probably be moving all that stuff to the nickerson site.  Thanks for the heads up. 

THank goodness, tho, that the forum here is where you will get almost 100% of the info you need.

The GalSim GUI runs on Java, so you will need the Java Runtime Environment.  The current version is Java 6, but Galsim will run with Java 5 (at least version 1.5.0_08).  Goto  http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to get the latest version.  Select JAVA RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 6 (currently at update 6).  Follow the install instructions.  Its pretty simple

Get the Java GUI code.  You can download it by going to http://galsim.nickersonm.com/galsim.zip

Find the galsim.bat file in the directory you downloaded and double click it.  A MSDOS window will pop up and then the GUI should come up soon after

If you haven't already, contact me at the email address below to join.  I will reply back and send you your login ID and password when you are added in to the game database.  After you login successfully for the first time, you can establish your own username and password (NOTE:  you will ALWAYS use the original login ID to login, NOT your username.  your username is an in-game name that others will see you as).

I will start you with one ship, a small shuttle for your in-game persona.  This shuttle, a LDR class ship, is VERY IMPORTANT.  Keep it out of harms way, or else you lose alot of abilities in the game (not as much in this version, but definitely in the full version of the game).

Then you order ships, move them around, and blow stuff up.

Let me know if you have any questions