SoGE more unstable with Rebellion 1.80 Patch?

Fireball

Greetings

My friends and I would really enjoy playing SoGE but it seems that it crashes every 15-30 minutes (CTD without any message). Could it be that it's gotten even more unstable with patch 1.80? Or is it the same problem since ever. We've encountered invisible ships & blocky particle effects too.

When I monitored the thread once, it was last at 1.5 GB RAM usage when it crashed, so that shouldn't be the issue? So okay, it could be due to the fact that we're loading all factions, right?

We've set all graphics settings to "High" from "Highest", but that didn't help. Any more help or observations from others? Did the new patch change anything regarding playability of SoGE? SoSE Rebellion itself seems fine.

-Fireball

If you're getting blocky particle effects that's a tell tale sign of a corrupted download.

That being said, you are correct in guessing that 1.80 has made things far more unstable. Before 1.80, SoGE was on the threshold of taking up too much RAM relative to the 2GB limit. The SF DLC made the engine itself use up more RAM, and as a result has made SoGE push the envelope a bit too much. SoSE also tends to get extremely unstable once you hit the 1.5 GB marker, so it is not surprising if you crash before hitting 2 GB on the nose.

Regardless, I'd suggest running Large Address Aware on the SoSE exe, as it will alleviate RAM related crashing issues. This also will not have an effect on your MP compatibility/checksum. Due to the negative RAM changes brought by 1.80, as of the next patch I will be making using LAA a requirement to run SoGE, as SoGE can no longer reliably run without this being done.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Thanks, can you please

a) EDIT: Sorry, I skimmed over the link due to the vague link colours.

b) publish MD5/SHA-1 of your released packages? (for everyone wondering how to compare, I recommend Hashcheck on Windows)

What I've got here:

MD5:

32906c3f6b3f0acc545fb9941da09b11 *soge_addons_reb.rar

a0899c5ed9824b050a0f1bae7202446f *soge_r1114_reb.rar

Thanks in advance, again.

- Fireball

Ok, sorry for the double-post, but I've got great news:

Setting the LAA flag solved all troubles for me. It looks like the blocky particle effects and invisible ships were also caused by the scarcely available RAM to the process.

Bottom line:

- Without the LAA flag, the application gets in trouble around 1.5 GiB (roughly 1'560'000 KiB) of Memory and eventually crashes

- With the LAA flag the application usurps around 2 GiB (roughly 2'030'000 KiB) and remains stable at these numbers; no more broken effects, models or crashes

The MD5 Hashes can be found on the Moddb download pages for all files.

Glad to hear LAA works for you! Surprised that even the particles were blocky because of a lack of RAM, but knowing Sins that doesn't surprise me.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Actually, the blocky particle effects are listed as KNOWN BUGS of the mod:

One of the capital ship's explosion particles displays white boxes. This will be fixed in a future patch.

So, nothing to see there, move on.

I never wrote weapon effects, did I? I wrote always a "particle effect" and it was really always an explosion of a capital ship; since it's only one of them I must have been very unlucky to encounter or build many of that one, but it was certainly the case.