Broadside Cruiser Model

CaptainBenz

Greetings,

I've been wondering if you take fanmade models (by that I mean fan of the mod, of course), because a few ones of those in the mod, like the Broadside... well, lets just say there is room for improvement :wink: .

I mean no offense to the modeller, but I tried my worst to make a prettier one, and this is what I got so far:

http://i.imgur.com/Fx0uDOc.png

http://i.imgur.com/pf5uho2.png

I hope you don't mind that I was a bit creative with the details, since the only material for reference is the ship from EaW.

So, how do you think about it?

• SWR Staff - Executive
Neat. If Lavo wants to include it, seems like a fine model. I guess we'd need to see how it renders in-game.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I entirely agree that the current model could use a facelift or replacement. Have you got this model skinned? It would be my pleasure to slap it ingame and see how it looks. If not, keep us posted on your progress! What you got here looks quite promising.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Oih positive feedback, thank you :D

Well, it's not textured yet, and I just started uv mapping it. I posted such an early wip simply because I've made bad experience with posting fully completed stuff. People/devs sometimes suggest changes to the model, which are alot harder to make when it is fully uv-mapped and textured.

Fair enough, that makes a good deal of sense. I'd suggest to possibly make the main bridge's window slightly larger. In comparison to the bridge itself, it looks somewhat small.

• 1 month later...
Very nice! I like it. Mind you, it could use a bit of color, perhaps team colors similar to EaW? As for hardpointing, assuming you can manage to "fit" the model (of course, can't be perfectly) onto the current one hardpointing wouldn't be an issue. That said, you can use the Sins Max tool for 3ds Max and older to import .mesh files. I hear that 2012 and later breaks the import tool however.

Well, I'm completely new to soase modding, and I don't really know where to look up the hardpoints' names. My first guess was the ship's respective .entity file, but apparently its not there, or at least I can't find it. I don't have 3ds max, so importing the current model with the tool you mentioned isn't an option either.

You do not happen to have a screenshot or something that shows the hardpoint layout and names of the current Broadside Cruiser, do you? :(

How's about you send me the model, in .obj if possible, instead? If you do, I can check this weekend to see if a major hardpointing job is needed. The hardpoint data can be found in the mesh file, if you are interested; though the orientation of points might be difficult to understand.

Right; you're likely operating on the public version, which has the files in bin format. I can send the text version, though it's probably better if I check if I can fit this well.

• 3 months later...
Haven't heard from you in a little while CaptainBenz. How's everything going? I can get the Broadside ingame fairly quickly; just need the main/color and (if you have one) illumination textures.