Change priority order for Torpedeo Sphere?

tlmiller

So, I really like the torpedoe spheres. Great, long range, good damage, and decently shielded enough to survive a little combat. However, the one thing that annoys me with them (when on the offensive) is that they seem to prioritize bombarding a planet over neutralizing enemies. So every time whatever you tell them to attack gets blown up, they immediately turn towards the enemy planet. Is there any way to reprioritize them so they deal with active enemies first (things that actually attack, ships, starbases, fighter depots), THEN go after the planet?

• SWR Staff - Executive

I believe (Lavo can correct me) that the AI requires it to be set as a siege weapon, otherwise the AI won't use it properly.

Thus we don't have a way to change its default behavior.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I believe (Lavo can correct me) that the AI requires it to be set as a siege weapon, otherwise the AI won't use it properly.

This is correct. Additionally the Torpedo Spheres were not optimized for combat and don't exactly have much in terms of weapons.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

This is correct. Additionally the Torpedo Spheres were not optimized for combat and don't exactly have much in terms of weapons.

They do decent enough missile damage. More than any other non-capital ship available for the Empire, and I do believe they actually show in their profile ingame slightly more damage than the broadside as well.

Indeed, the Broadside does have 1.1 less DPS than the Torpedo Sphere on it's main weapon, however it has Diamond Boron Warheads (passive shield bypass bonus), Siege Torpedoes (out-ranges any structure), Torpedo Salvo (missile swarm against a single target which does a large amount of damage), and Cluster Warheads (does massive damage to fighters). The Broadside is also considerably cheaper to produce, both in resource costs and supply. In terms of pure DPS, and considering only frigates, the Strike Cruiser has it beat when using it's side banks. Further, the Strike Cruiser is nearly equal when only considering it's front banks, even if the Strike Cruiser hits two targets at once, and thus the Torpedo Sphere has better focus fire, but it costs much more to field than one or two Strike Cruisers.

Indeed, the Broadside does have 1.1 less DPS than the Torpedo Sphere on it's main weapon, however it has Diamond Boron Warheads (passive shield bypass bonus), Siege Torpedoes (out-ranges any structure), Torpedo Salvo (missile swarm against a single target which does a large amount of damage), and Cluster Warheads (does massive damage to fighters). The Broadside is also considerably cheaper to produce, both in resource costs and supply. In terms of pure DPS, and considering only frigates, the Strike Cruiser has it beat when using it's side banks. Further, the Strike Cruiser is nearly equal when only considering it's front banks, even if the Strike Cruiser hits two targets at once, and thus the Torpedo Sphere has better focus fire, but it costs much more to field than one or two Strike Cruisers.

Yeah, I noticed the Diamond Boron, but didn't know what it actually did. I use Broadsides a TON in my fleets because of the torpedo sphere's liking to target the planets. I love missile cruisers if you've got enough fleet to protect them. I'll have to turn off more off their abilities autofiring, will have to start using the salvo against the "big guns"

Yeah, I actually like the Strike Cruiser a lot. Can't take a hit for nothing, but some serious ability to deal damage. I've found that putting a bunch of those JUST BEHIND an Allegiance will get the AI to attack the Allegiance, and you can use the Strikes to beat on them without losing so many while the Allegiance does it's best impression of a heatsink.

The Diamond Boron Warheads is pretty deadly in combo with the early game missile penetration tech; gives Broadsides a 50% total shield bypass for it's missiles, which can let them kill some lower hull ships much more quickly. The main ability to turn off is Cluster Warheads, that ability can also be "leveled up" once so that it has twice as long a cooldown, but consumes half the regular antimatter cost.