Galaxy Map

NovaCameron

Hi. Right now I'm working on a complete Galaxy Map for SOGE. Since I only have Arctic, Terran, Desert, and Volcanic to work with it looks very weird right now. So I've decided to mod in the planets from the 7Sins mod since it has apparently died. I have the Deep Core and Core done and I'm starting to work on the Colonies regions for a total of 186 planets so far. All are accurately place and linked. Well most of the hyperlines are my doing... but it works.

It is one giant star system at this point and is completely playable but you are going to have TONS of Terran planets to colonize till I can import the 7Sins planets. Coruscant looks very weird as a Terran planet.... I plan to have a bunch of different maps for this mod, I hope. Most will be the one giant star system since there is basically no info on over 90% of the planets. But I will make one map that has star systems for you to enjoy with the systems I do know.

If you want to have fun with what I have so far here is the link:

http://www.filefront.com/15278403/SOGE.zip

NOTE: It is two players. Player one is on Coruscant and player two in on Alderaan. It is not random so they will started there all the time.

Edit: just unzip to your SOGE mod folder it will overwrite only the galaxy.manifest

Have fun!

• SWR Staff - Executive

Neat, I look forward to it.

I doubt Eville would have any issues adding planets from 7Sins (assuming proper permissions and credits are given)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Oh it is completely accurate to cannon. And it's just the worlds of the Core and Deep Core, though there are 186 of them so far.... There are some worlds that are listed with just their grid co-ordinates so I consulted some other non-cannon map for possible placement and used my judgment. The Hyperlanes are mine and some cannon since hyperspace travel isn't quite like Sins makes it out to be...

• SWR Staff - Executive
Neat. Now plug in all the rest from the Star Wars Atlas.... :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Announcement: After 8 hours of toil and crashes have modded in the urban planet from Sins Plus, stolen from Distant Stars. I'll start on the rest soon. It's not complete and there are a few bugs but we have a urban planet for the Star Wars mod.

I have added all the planets from Sins Plus by Uzii, Planetary Abilities concepts by -UE_Carbon, Celestial Bodies by TohKlidan, and probably some things from Multiple Stars Graphics Mod by Boshimi336 and Bailknight's Graphic Mod. Now I just need to ask The Distant Stars team if I can release it for Star Wars. Oh and hunt down the last few graphics bugs and find all missing strings.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agreed this sounds fantastic! I once attempted a similar thing but with each star system being an actual star system. For example, Coruscant Prime was the star, and all the planets in the system was added with the exception of moons. The thing which didn't keep me motivated was the normal Sins planets. Is there a way to place new textures into the forge and game for the planets? Also, I set up routes between planets across star systems in the forge, would this actually work? It was like Coruscant although the 6th (I think) planet in the system was positioned around it's star in a way that it could have a route from there to the other systems in the Core to the east and south. Or, would the route just not take effect and require the jumping from one star to another routine like in the normal game?

I'd be really willing on helping you with this, although I think that if we could get the above sorted, perhaps instead of having it in one solar system have it in seperate ones? They'd be small systems anyway considering only about 10 planets usually on average and some of them not colonisable. I think it would just add a better feel to the game, although what your doing already is really great! I'd love to try it out :D

Okay I'd still love to try out your map but I've also begun work on my own just in case I don't find another suitable one. I'm currently working on the next group of planets and linking them up. All versions I upload will be free to edit, especially since I can't add custom planetary textures and do all of the work myself. Each major planet will be in it's own star system. I've looked up what other planets are in these systems so it fits in Canon, although I haven't included moons. The only moon right now I can think of which may be added is Dxun which orbits Onderon, it could be pretty important so if so, I'll make it extra close, a bit like the Talus and Tralus situation.

Routes are set up between planet systems, I'm doing my best to keep it the same look but some hyperspace routes will be a little funny until I fit in more planets along the route to make it more realistic. Hydrian Way I've so far been working on, From Brentaal (nearest entrance from Coruscant) to Eriadu. It does skip quite a few planets out on the way at the moment but that is simply because most of the planets aren't well known and I can use that time better on more widely acknowledged planets. I'd hate for someone to dislike the map because some major planets was missing because I spent all my time on ones people didn't care about.

Although routes are set up between planets in different systems to provide semi-realistic hyperspace routes, you can still jump between stars using the normal method (require the research of course like standard). At least this way you can skip through a few systems to the other side of the galaxy or something if you really want/need to. It also creates some interesting situations where an enemy might hyperspace jump past your otherwise brilliant defences and go directly to the star. Then because most if not all systems will have the nearest planet be connected to that star, an enemy force might go "behind your lines" if you get my meaning. So people will have to think a little more on if they want to colonise these nearest planets (mostly volcanic which fits into Canon, but is actually realistic if they are so close anyway), or just fortify the main planet(s) in that system. It will also hopefully stop rapid colonisation and make fighting over well known planets a bit more special.

Anyway, I'll find somewhere to host it once I have the first version up. It's already got about 75 planets but the problem is that with so few star systems, the majority of those planets are barely known, just the "other" planets in a system. So it'll roughly double before first version is out, then I'll focus on finding somewhere to upload it and post it here :)

• 1 month later...

Hey all sorry for the long absense. I've restarted work and have actually added new research options for the new types of planets available. I still have to ask the Distant Stars modders if I can republish some of their work so I can't release what I have just yet. Plus there are a few bugs that I want to get rid of, like the research not pointing to the right planets... Once I have all the planet stuff ready I can then really start on the map. :D

Update: Ok last few bugs are just a few missing strings from some research I somehow broke... Map is now being worked on again. We now have Gas Dwarfs, Plasma Storms, Magnetic Storms, Nebula, Ocean, Rock, City, Forest, Military, Industrial, Paradise, Toxic, Swamp, Savannah, Companion stars of a bunch of different colors, and all the planet from our solar system included plus a few random things. All planets come in Huge, Normal, Dwarf, and Moon size. The relic planet isn't in because it doesn't fit in with Star Wars. Permission request to release it has been sent and am waiting for reply.

Core, Colonies, Inner Rim, and Expansion Region done. 573 planets so far. Now to do the planet heavy Mid and Outer Rims.... Est. 50% done. You all are going to kill me cause you might not be able to run them. :P Don't worry once I get the mother of all Star Wars galaxy maps done I'll make smaller ones you can actually run. lol 40, 80, and 120 planets sound good?

• SWR Staff - Executive
Neat. I'd love to reenact the whole Clone Wars up to New Jedi Order. Exciting :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

I know. Me nether, if the map doesn't kill my computer... But the just the size already has me messing with the gameconstants. Planet spacing is measured in the hundreds of units in the galaxyforge not tens on normal maps. I have the ship speed at 2.5 up from 0.6 and still it seems too slow. Research levels are at 1,2,4,8,16,32,64, and 128 labs per level (not tested yet). I need to rework the tech tree so you actually have a use for all those resources. You get an insane amount of resources at four hours in at 40+ planets. Might even slash the rates at which they come in. Thinking of upping ship costs 10x.

On another note. I'm might make my own planets... Now that I look at the textures in 7Sins/Distant Stars i'm.... disappointed. The textures aren't as complex as I thought. Also I feel the planet attributes/bonuses need to be reworked. To make them more... Star Wars-y. So actually you guys will get new planets from me. :D Plus I want more planet types for my map. :P

• SWR Staff - Executive
Sounds cool. I want Dagobah, Geonosis, Christophsis...

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Well keep in mind that the game will keep all planet textures in memory... So more planets equals more lag, kinda. So the will be a limit on how many planet types we can have.

BTW: NEW City planet done! I'll post a link to it soon once I dump all the Distant Stars/7Sins junk from my mod folder. (and it is junk srry to say...)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, from the sounds of it all of these planets are in one star system? That's different from my approach where I named the Star Systems like they are in Wookiepedia or the best nearest sounding name and then added the planets into that system. The drawback with my method is that some systems have very few planets, i might even have to create some to make them more playable, which I'm reluctant to do unless i just name them after the star and add roman numericals on the end.

I'm very interested to see what your map looks like, sounds like you've done it by grid references also?

Yup. I know their exact location down to one hundreth of a grid, well for most, there are too many to put ALL 5000 in. I will make a multi-star map for kicks. I have complete system details for 40 systems. Should be plenty. Star Wars Atlas is awesome. :P