Some ideas for this wonderful mod..

Phalanx58

I tried the beta and I loved it. I think that it's going on a very good course. I have about 2 suggestions that I can think of right now that would add a lot of fun to the game.

1. The Death Star. This is a must for this mod, especially with Sins of a Galactic Empire's brilliant engine. Of course for warlords it wasn't feasable because you were only playing near one planet. But now you're playing with 20-40 planets. Destroying a planet with the Death Star would make a player's planet uninhabitable obviously and cause a tremendous blow to the opponent's economy especially if it was a highly productive planet. Maybe after you build the first one you can build the second one which would have the ability to fire on capital ships. This Death Star concept was a similar one in EAW except that EAW's galactic gameplay was turn based. And maybe the only way to destroy it would be to get some fighters near it. The fighters would have a chance of shooting a torpedo down the shaft destroying the space station.

2. This is more of a question but the planets and maps in the game are going to be Star Wars-ized right? So we'll fight for planets like Hoth and such and such?

• SWR Staff - Executive

the death star or any planet destroying weapon for that matter REQUIRES significant code changes from the developer which we may not get until an expansion pack

yes to the starwarsized planets.

• 5 months later...

Or maybe, for now the Death Star prototype could just be implemented instead of the actual Death Star or Death Star II. I remember reading in the novels that the prototype was just the skeletal frame of the station with the proto-superlaser. And the proto-superlaser was not made as powerful as it's successor so it could only make the planet uninhabitable, not completely destroyed. So maybe the Novalith Canon can be replaced by the Death Star Protoype.

PS: About the coding issue for implementing the actual Death Stars, couldn't you just have the destroyed planets changed to asteroid fields when they are destroyed?

• 4 months later...
PS: About the coding issue for implementing the actual Death Stars, couldn't you just have the destroyed planets changed to asteroid fields when they are destroyed?

Nope. There's no buff for that, and there's no scripting language.

Another problem with the Death Star is that it would have to be a Capital Ship if you ever wanted to move it anywhere, but as a Capital Ship it would be vulnerable to things like ion cannon shots which are absurd in the universe context. It could avoid this by being a Starbase, but Starbases can't jump. Additionally, the Executor is already 450 supply- a Death Star would have to be some absurd # of supply points.

Finally, the Empire already has an obvious and probably more fitting candidate for the Novalith role - the Galaxy Gun.

The only real place I can figure for the Death Star would be to set up the Death Star II as an extremely powerful Starbase orbiting a non-colonizable world in a custom scenario.

You could probably make the Death Star insanely expensive and use it as a very slow capital ship. The super laser would be it's planetary bombing weapon. A good way to control how many people have is to make the slot count a little over half of the total fleet size after maxing out that tech tree.

• 5 weeks later...
Even the Prototype Death Star was able to destroy the core of a planet, which would require that any planet it was used against be changed to a 'Barren' type like what Sins Plus has. This would be because without the core, there would be no magnetic field, and so the atmosphere would quickly be burnt off and the surface irradiated. By the way, another ship which could never be in Sins. Sun Crusher.

Question. Can you limit starbases by star system, in otherwords how many starbases can be constructed in the entire collection of gravity wells in the realm of a given star?

• 3 years later...
I've been playing Empire at war recently, and was thinking, is there a reason that you aren't using the Empire and Rebel bases from that game? Golan platforms just don't feel right for starbases, I they still are, I only use starbases for few things.

EaW was a terrible game with many non-canon elements and, more importantly, we don't use EaW's models. To use the EaW bases we'd need to make new models. That and the Golan does fit very well for starbases, as they're just platforms that are slightly more powerful than the capital ISD.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

While it may be a canonical nightmare, it's an okay game to play. But, imo, the Golan starbase is just a stationary heavy weapons platform. Even though the game doesn't fit in canon, it is safe to assume that these stations exist in the Star Wars Universe.

How is it a canonical nightmare? Many planets had multiple Golan platforms in their orbit, and the Golan's maximum armament and health is a fairly accurate representation of the Golan III's actual abilities. The main reason we don't have the Golan set up to upgrade in stages from the first to the third is to save space on models, and that we have no rigged models for the first and second.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.