free capital ship

MrPhildevil

In whatever 'reality' would exist for a sci-fi universe, the first capital ship an empire builds would NOT be free. :P

I would say SoGE has expensive first capitals so that empires cannot expand way too quickly, seeing as how capital ships are more powerful on this mod when compared against their vanilla counterparts.

I have mixed feelings about it honestly. I would like a free cap ship but they mop up the neutrals too easy. But (as the alliance) any lone mon-cal cruiser you can build doesn't have enough firepower to actually kill the neutrals quickly. So its just better to skip them and build some smaller ships and get the cruisers up later.

The scent of desperation... I know it's terrible that you actually have to invest _resources_ to obtain the most powerful weapons platforms in your arsenal... oh the humanity! Given just how much more powerful the capital ships are in SOGE getting one for free to blow up ad infinitum. Learn to manage your resources and before you know it you'll have more resources than you know what to do with to obtain as many capital ships as you could possibly need.

Yeah right... problem is I'm playing at easy and I still get wiped out. I've read strategies anywhere I could and it took load of time and I still can't seems to get thru. Learn to manage... you bet :roll: ! It takes an awful lot of time to do so. I've played around 15hrs of Soase and I still have loads of difficulty to beat the AI. You know what, if I loose all my time in "learning to manage", I might not have time for real life. Heard about that? And just so you know, nope, never crumbled under ressources. Never. Hence the reason why I'd like to be able to do that modification.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have the mod working yet, but the loss of the first free flagship is a serious thing. I normally use my first flagship (in SW: Requiem) to take over the first few neutral planets alone, to save me resources on the (massively) overpowered Imperial ship cost.

Is there any way to go into the files and replace the ability to get the first one free?

Not in this mod. It slows things down a bit. The Cap ships are serious firepower. I've conquered a bunch of planets with carracks and a few dreadnaughts. It's not too hard. And once I get a cap ship it's too easy. Nothing should be free anyway. Unless you want me to boost the neutral fleets, which I am tempted to do, I think there should be no free cap ship.

They are boosted enough, thanks.

Finally got to play, and the neutral fleets are ginormous, (mostly) all ships are unlocked at game start, and me, as a little newb, tried to make do with a few of the heavy correllians (trying to play the same as Requiem and normal SoaSE. :?

• 7 months later...
They are boosted enough, thanks.

Finally got to play, and the neutral fleets are ginormous, (mostly) all ships are unlocked at game start, and me, as a little newb, tried to make do with a few of the heavy correllians (trying to play the same as Requiem and normal SoaSE. :?

See, this is where you are making your mistake. The best approach to SoGE, at least, in terms of getting planets early, is to just not buy anything at first. Sit around, let resources pool, and then when you have enough, buy a capital ship. You will get metal faster than credits and credits faster than crystal (relative to how much you need for a capital). So be ready to sell off metal early on, and then buy crystal once you've pooled a decent sum of credits.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.