The Valiant, Republic era cruiser--Please consider it for this awesome TC...

al_striker

I hope that this isn't too late for the mod's development, especially if the following design is found to be desirous.

I have followed the growth of this wonderful mod for a long time, and I'm hoping that you'd consider adding one more Republic era cruiser design to it.

I came up with the sketches/notes, and can be viewed here:

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/27858/2001309193813171536_th.jpg

Vince (a.k.a. GeneralTrageton), a phenomenal Star Wars model maker over at the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project took it upon himself to make The Valiant a virtual reality, and I feel that he did an outstanding job doing so.  Judge for yourself:

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/29066/2002304757928923855_th.jpg

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/28261/2002392961462532938_th.jpg

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/28018/2002344431516441856_th.jpg

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/27594/2004251426176584996_th.jpg

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/28715/2004244128590617377_th.jpg

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/28142/2004273124496914924_th.jpg

Links to the pages featuring The Valiant's development and to its download can be found here:

http://bluephantom.proboards76.com/index.cgi?board=gen003&action=display&thread=1175951064

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006197

http://adarkprophecy.proboards74.com/index.cgi?board=ship&action=display&thread=1136442404&page=2

The XWAUP's may require registration before the "Valiant" thread can be viewed, but it's well worth it, as there's a ton of cool content to scrutinize there.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if I'm not mistaken, there has been an exchange of models between model makers between Warlords and XWAUP, yes?  If you're interested, I'd be thrilled to have The Valiant added to Warlords.  I feel that Vince should be consulted on this, since he poured the long hours into making The Valiant as you now see it, but I'm fairly confident that he'd be happy to grant permission as long as he is credited.

And just for the record, at the time I dreamed up The Valiant class, I was mistaken as to the role of the Eta-2 starfighters, and I thought that they were exclusively for Jedi.  Knowing what I know now, I'd bump up its fighter compliment to 235, adding 25 Eta-2s to the list.  The figures given in my initial design, and assigned to it in the Read Me that accompanies the cruiser's download are incorrect. 

Also note that although it does not have as many heavy turbolaser turrets as The Venator, they are substantially larger and thus more powerful, and according to Vince, are very nearly the size of those found on The Imperator.  So though their number is less, the damage they deal is very formidable, and their placement on the spine of the ship allows them to cover both the port and starboard. 

The Valiant class was designed to be a very durable and hard hitting cruiser-carrier, with larger engines, heavier hull plating, more robust shields, and an upscaled anti-capital ship weaponry system.  While it doesn't carry as many fighters as The Venator, it makes up for it in sheer tenacity. 

The Valiant has also already been skinned in post-Republic gray. 

I hope you like what you see, and I'm looking forward to your feedback and comments.

Yours,

Kyle

Sept. 16, 2007

;D   

Edited by Kyle_warlords

evillejedi,

My apologies in regards to posting this thread.  I hadn't seen Forum Rule #4 till minutes ago.  I swear that the first time I clicked on the Forum link the list of Ten Rules didn't appear (maybe I got to the Forum from some other link, I can't recall right now). 

Really, no harm or annoyance meant, and please accept my apologies for this unintentional gaff.  Still wouldn't mind a little feedback though, if there is any.

Keep up the great work!

Yours,

Kyle

Sept. 16, 2007

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Komo val,

Thank you for directing the first piece of feedback on the design.  Finally!  :D

I guess I saw The Valiant as being more of a cruiser and less of a carrier.  Of course, we have to keep things in context here, because the Venator's starfighter complement, when compared to an ISD's are, without question, intended to have a primarily carrier-based role.  Thus the number of starfighters that The Valiant carries are also quite impressive when compared to an ISD, but it's not the carrier that the Venator was designed to be.

The Valiant was imagined to be something more of a "Jack of All Trades" type vessel.  It was not intended to be a primary means of assaulting planetary surfaces, such as the Acclamator, nor was it meant to be a carrier-master that the Venator was, but it was designed to have a more severe bite against other capital ships.  The turrets on its central spines are more massive due to their greater firepower, and they're strategically located to be able to cover the entire port and starboard sides of the craft, a very useful feature that's not replicated in any other capital ship of its kin.  The smaller hangar bay and ramps for ground vessels is due to having more powerful engines. 

It should be pointed out though, that The Valiant has a total of three hangar bays that are intended to be devoted to open space.  There are two smaller hangars on each side of the ship, but they're depicted here on the model with their blast doors closed.

Sorry I couldn't oblige your desire for a dedicated bottom hangar bay.  Maybe in my next design...  Perhaps I'll call it the "Komo val" class?

;)

Yours,

Kyle

Oct. 3, 2007

:)

I guess that it's more than possible for The Valiants to launch starfighters from its landing ramps, but it only has the

I actually have this ship for XWA. I had all the Pre-quel ships loaded and going for all of five minutes, I was tweaking  the stats to my liking (I prefer higher ships speeds, more fun/realistic) when the EXE got corrupted and I haven't felt like jacking with it since.

It's one of the higher quality, better looking models out there. Oh what's his name, can't think of it, runs MTD, he's a slam-bang artist, all his stuff looks great. Especially among the non-canon ships, which tend it seems to be made by amateurs, it blows out of the water.

I believe that you're referring to DTM, who not long ago released a beautiful version of the Outrider.

I'm sorry that you had problems with tweaking The Valiant's settings for XWA.  Did you get the most recent version of the ship?  Vince was even able to get its two massive missile launcher banks to work in the game. 

I'd download it again, just to be safe, and give it another try.

I'm sure that you're probably already well aware that Vince is nearly done with his XWA total conversion, The Blue Phantom Project.  All that he has left to do is finish the campaign.  I got to give that man a lot of credit for taking on something so ambitious of his own undertaking, and all the while releasing phenomenal non-canon craft for XWA. 

His work, speed, and dedication are pretty amazing.

Oh the problem wasn't from the ship. Using XVTED was the problem. You have to modify the executable to change the things I was messing with. Most the time it's fine, but every once in a while it screws it up and corrupts the file, you have to do a reinstall or replace the EXE one.

Well even the ISD has a bottom hanger. Although I do agree that this hull configuration is much better, with the main launch bays more protected then the hole in the bottom of standard republic/empire cruisers. Those lateral hangars look like the Venator ones, but the Venator blast doors where used for troop deployment when landed and not fighter launch. Maybe a multi-purpose hatch ? But as I said a good looking ship.

XWA, I wish I had it.

As a flight sim, or even a decent game, XWA is disposable. Like most LucasArts stuff it is seriously crappified. The only neat thing about it is the option to fight team based skirmish battles, with each team being alloted points to purchase ships even larger ones, to use in the fight. Also allows you to quickly do coop games together, up to 16 players. A few mods to allow people to man the gun turret, in the Falcon etc, while another person flies. Without XWAUP it's not worth having. What really is a better alternative, I don't know if it exists, have to look, is if someone did a SW mod for Freespace2 or something like that. That was a good flight sim anyway, had a powerful and ridiculously easy to use editor with good documentation (in a couple days of tinkering I was putting together elaborate campaigns). The potential... makes me drool. I think a couple people started, but I don't believe anyone went very far. I do know their's a good looking Battlestar Galactica mod for it (seen videos on YouTube). It's kind of complicated to make models for, from what I understand, although it couldn't be any worse than HW2. Aside from the modeling, it's VERY easy to make alterations to, up to and including videos, scripted sequences, actually adding in new vessels, etc. Anyway... anything modded would likely be better than XWA.

edit-

YO! I found one!    http://swc.hard-light.net/

Star Wars TC for Freespace 2 Source Code Project! A decent sim for star wars! AT LAST!

Edited by harvey032186

I've been looking at the FS2 Mod for Star Wars, it's all to a very high standard of quality, at least as good as Eville here, but it doesn't appear to have been in the works for very long. They've got a fair sized crew working on it though, it looks like so progress should be fairly rapid. They're mostly concentrating on ANH-ROTJ. Don't like CW and NJO, cause it departs too much from previously established ideals. Still, as it moves along, it should make for an excellent sim that will apparently utilize more real-world physics (also faster speeds). Once it's finished, the flexibility and versatility of the editor FRED will make creation of campaigns and scenarios a snap. It's using the FS Source Code, which Volition apparently released after deciding not to continue the storyline. It's a huge graphics update that enables the engine to use many new features, and is regularly updated with new capabilities for the engine and editor both. It's funny, they don't want to continue it themselves, but they're providing a tremendous amount of support for those who do. Cool, not often the companies pay so much attention to their fanbases. Edited by harvey032186

I believe that you're referring to DTM, who not long ago released a beautiful version of the Outrider.

I'm sorry that you had problems with tweaking The Valiant's settings for XWA.  Did you get the most recent version of the ship?  Vince was even able to get its two massive missile launcher banks to work in the game. 

I'd download it again, just to be safe, and give it another try.

I'm sure that you're probably already well aware that Vince is nearly done with his XWA total conversion, The Blue Phantom Project.  All that he has left to do is finish the campaign.  I got to give that man a lot of credit for taking on something so ambitious of his own undertaking, and all the while releasing phenomenal non-canon craft for XWA. 

His work, speed, and dedication are pretty amazing.

actwilly i was the one who fixed the missle lonchers