Crash at Universe (tried 2 PCs, both v1.1)

xxx

Hi Guys,

As the title says, I'm having trouble getting warlords to work. I've tried on 2 separate PCs and both have crashed at universe. I'm not sure what you guys need to help me out so I'm gonna dump a bunch of info, if it there is something else you guys need I'll try to post it too...

PC1:

Specs:

Intel Q6600 (stock)

2 gig DDR2 677 (kingston)

Asus Striker Extreme 680i

ATI X700

320gb Western Digital 7200rpm hard disk

Windows XP service pack 2

This PC had trouble running Homeworld 2 even without warlords. I could get to the main menu but I would notice small visual artifacts (normally black bars at the top right of the screen that would flash in and out). This would happen with v1.0 and 1.1 on Homeworld 2. If I started a single player game it would run extremely slowly. With Warlords, I could boot to the menu, but it would crash at Universe. I tried using the ATI 8.1 drivers and the newer 8.3...

Now, thinking that my PC was the problem I tried it out on a friend's laptop.

( I don't know his specs very well) PC2:

1 gig ram

Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz

ATI mobility radeon X1400

Windows XP service pack2

With the laptop there were no visual artifacts in v1.0 and v1.1 on Homeworld 2. The game ran at a high speed and it seemed to be working perfectly. However, when I installed Warlords the same thing would happen-crash at universe...

I have all the files in my homeworld 2 data directory, and I just downloaded them a week ago. The shortcuts' target link is:

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod Planetpack.Big,SWSOUND.Big,SWMUSIC.Big,GENHODS.Big,PLATHODS.Big,IMPHODS.Big,REBHODS.Big,PIRHODS.Big,CORE.Big -luatrace -hardwareCursor

What should I do to fix this? I doubt its the CD because its a genuine one and with the laptop I can play Homeworld 2 normal just fine. There are no other mod files in the Homeworld 2 directory...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to add the I have tried on both PCs making a new profile for Warlords.  I have always tried running original Homeworld 2 maps , I tried a few of them and none of them would get pass universe...

EDIT2: Continuing to work on the laptop, I got a little bit confused. In the "getting the mod to run" section of the site, it says the shortuct should be:

“C:\Program Files\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe” -mod Planetpack.Big,SWSOUND.Big,SWMUSIC.Big,GENHODS.Big,PLATHODS.Big,IMPHODS.Big,REBHODS.Big,PIRHODS.Big,CORE.Big -luatrace -hardwareCursor

however, in the "recent files" section there is no imphods, or rebhods, or pirhords, or plathods. I thought this might mean something and edited the the shortcut to remove these non-existant files and added "SHIPHODS.Big". When I did this, I got to the main menu like normal. Instead of a picture of the executor, it was the normal Homeworld 2 picture. SW music was playing still. I tried to start a game, and it crashed at universe. Again, normal H2 picture and not the Executor at loading...

At the moment I am downloading the files IMPzip, REBzip and PIRzip. When I get them I'll try to place them in Data and see what happens...

EDIT3: ( As if things werent complicated enough!) While waiting for IMP.zip to download I continued to fiddle around trying to fix the problem. When i used this

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod PLANETPACK.Big,SWSOUND.Big,SWMUSIC.Big,GENHODS.Big,SHIPHODS.Big,CORE.Big -luatrace -hardwareCursor

as a command line I could PLAY the HOTH MISSION on Warlords. (I'd press "play single player campaign") However, I STILL CRASH when trying to do a Player vs. CPU match. I dont change the match conditions. I've tried using maps from original H2 to the Warlords maps. As a precaution I always select either Rebellion or Imperial ships for the sides so that I dont get CIS or Republic...  Despite this, it still crashes...

I'm pretty much at a loss of options here ( I'm praying that using the ZIPs I'm downloading might fix this..) though I'll probably continue to tinker away till I find something...

Anyone have any advice?

Edited by Reven_warlords

Hmm... I tried doing a Rebellion vs Rebellion battle and it worked fine. Same thing goes for the militia....

I still have a problem with the Imps though. If I play as them or if I play against them it crashes at universe..

When I played I noticed that all the descriptions were missing for the ships...When/will the be back?

By the way I just wanted to say great job with the mod. I had played some Warlords 0.45 a couple years back and had loved it, its the reason why I've tried to get 0.6 up and working so much...

I tried and I got so-so results...

The 1st time I tried with Oldships removed, the game still crashed. The 2nd and 3rd time I tried I got it running just fine On my 4th try I tried a scenario mode with the Rejuventator vs the Imperator II. That crashed. I'm assuming its because the rejuvenator is part of oldships.big?

could a corrupted oldships.big be the reason it crashes? Should I try re-downloading oldships and see if that works?

By the way, what happened to the research trees? I had played warlords 0.45 a while back and I remember that it had a very interesting and complex tech tree. Is it possible to enable it?

Thanks for all your help Eville!  :)

• SWR Staff - Executive

scenarios with ships in old ships will crash if oldships is not present (anytime a object is called and isn't there, this happens, especially if things are typos ARGH)

research should work, but I could be mistaken...