Makes me want to steal...Disc Emulation error from Securom

Kaevad

Hi all,

I played warlords back when .45 was released, and I was excited to get back into it with .6.  I had switched computers since .45, so on my Vista system I installed HW2, v1.1 patch, moved the .big files, and modified the target line.

I know this is not a warlords issue, but I figured there would be other expertise here.  When I try to run the modified shortcut, I get a pop up saying disc emulation software was detected and to visit securom.com for details.  Then even to play HW2 unmodded I had to delete and reinstall.  WTF!? I BOUGHT THE DAMN THING, IM USING THE ORIGINAL CD AND KEY CODE, WHAT THE HELL?

Do I now have to pirate something I already f****** purchased?

Again, I know it is off topic for warlords, but your help in getting this to run is greatly appreciated.

it would be best to revert your comp back to XP, if you use it primarily for gaming. there are next to 0 vista-specific programs, and no games that im aware of, and vista has way too much "security" crap piled on to it to prevent computer-illiterate people from ruining their comp to run most things smoothly at all. what you may try is just getting a fixed-exe file from a site like gamecopyworld.com. all they do is change the way the game launches so that it doesnt look for a cd, which would eliminate your securom issue. i use one myself because while i have the original discs, the game isnt easy to find anymore, and its a very old disc, barely readable as it is, so the less wear it gets, the longer ill be able to play. the fixed file just replaces the Homeworld2.exe in your bin/release folder, and will work with any mods you want.

• 2 weeks later...
lol, i actually install my game from 2 different discs. 1 launches the installer fine and installs most files ok, but gives an error on the music file i think, whereas the other disc wont launch, but can install the music and everything after. pretty ethnically engineered installation

different drives read certain things better or worse than others. the discs are mangled, without question, but drives from diffrent companies will be able to read through certain imperfections. in this case, theres a dent in the top of the disc, which is damge that no drive could read, as the data portion itself is destroyed

Yea I also sometimes have this problem, but it's enough to restart my computer and it goes away. It seems that the error happens only when I put the CD in the CD writer\ reader. In a plain reader that error never happens.

• SWR Staff - Executive
If I remember right securerom will consider it a unauthorized copy if the disk throws too many read errors (thinking it is a bad rip) but in fact good CD/DVD RW drives report these errors better than normal readers so it triggers the securerom BS quicker.