Stratus

finally got round to installing the latest release, and believe that a few things may need tweaking a bit

firstly there should be a cap on mining ships as at the moment when playing against the computer it goes into a mining frenzy and just pumps out millions of them (in one quick 15 minute battle the game finished with the computer player building 207 of them...) this forces me to have to respond with simmilar actions or otherwise there are no resources left for me to build...

secondly... i have noticed that if i build the executor SSD then it builds instantly (even if i do not have the resources) and also gives me a few million extra resources for free...

finally it seems impossible to win the game as even if you hunt down and kill all the enemy ships, the game does not end...

thanks for making such a cool mod anyways... keep up the good work

oh by the way (incase it makes any difference to what is happening above) i am running the mod via the shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -mod PLANETPACK.Big,SWSOUND.Big,SWMUSIC.Big,GENHODS.Big,SHIPHODS.Big,CORE.Big,OLDSHIPS.Big -luatrace -hardwareCursor

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I've played this mod a few times, and absolutly love it.  so I decided to register and post some of my findings

- CIS fighters do next to no damage.  they keep shooting, but have no effect on anything, Mole miners, fighters, whatever

- Imperial I class seems to dominate everything.  Since it has those 2 ion turrets on it, it can disable things really quickly,  and from what I gather, once that blue bar is gone, the ship wont work anymore.  Theres no point in building ISD MKII's, because the MK I is better.

- Lucrehulk DCS doesnt seem to shoot.  from time to time, it'l pop off a few shots, but other then that it just seems to float around hitting random enemy ships (quiet funny, but annoying when the ship runs away, and the DCS wants to follow it more than anything

- AI for ships seems a little dumb... especially the smaller frigates and corvettes, they like to ram stuff 10X there size. 

- Skiprays are by far the most annoying bomber or whatever it is.  If it does a run past an anti-fighter frigate, it'l take hits and repair itself almost instantly. 

- Not really a major bug, just a little annoying.  When you dock fighters with capital ships (TIE fighters for example), you will constantly hear the sound of a TIE fighter engine, no matter where you are, as if the fighter was right beside you.

- AI doesn't build much, it buys factories, and sits there. I'll see some fighter squadrons, and if you attack it with corvettes, after a wile itl start building ships.  Then it gets sick of you, and builds a bouy, and loads the game with like, everything, and then starts chasing your TIE fighter squadron with it.

- Why do weapons have such massive recoil?  I was watching a munnificent float around, then it decided to attack something.  So it fired one shot from its prow turbolaser gun, and the barrel of the gun shot backwards all the way through the ship!  I'd hate to be the droid who fired that gun.  Add the fact that the barrel inches its way back, making that battery totally useless, because its more or less a munnificents main hitting power.

Ya... but much for someone who just registered, but I wanted to bring those up.  Other then that, great mod.

(btw, why is a Lucrehulk battleship considered a super capital ship...?  it cant even stand to an ISD MKI, which is classed as a medium destroyer!)

• 1 year later...

Very good graphic, but unplayable with that balancing.

Spam Bomber with ties, no corvette can handle that. only fighters... ive tried with a friend with all ships...

AI is too stupid, 2 experts are too easy.

Unfortunatly too much time was maybe spent in graphic and models, but if a component of a game is that bad u cant play it ... oh i forgot... ressource management?! harvesting planets in 5 seconds, and you have to select them to next ressource planets... exhausting.

Concerning the graphic its the best star wars mod.

• SWR Staff - Executive

There is a reason that this isn't a v1.0 - it isn't finished yet.

There are a lot of known issues, as you've reported. I'm sure there are some planned updates; whether Eville gets time to work on them, who knows.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 8 months later...
  • SWR Staff - Executive

I don't think any time is being spent on the HW2 mod at the moment. Work on Sins is being done not because it has the better graphics, but because it has the better gameplay. It is the more strategic, epic galaxy-wide game that us Rebellion fans generally enjoy :)

I don't have answers to your specific questions and crashes, other than certain ships are lacking concrete details and thus Eville has his own artistic interpretation of them.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive

We'll agree to disagree then. Ultimately our own (well, mostly Eville's) interests drive us.

Could there be future updates? Maybe, depends on what new ship designs come out and what time we have to spend on them.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive

I don't see any value in the 3D element. It's tactics then, if you're just moving from a top or bottom direction.

Strategic gameplay isn't about how many directions you can move. It's about how many limited resources you have and how you can leverage them. The gameplay is certainly about planets and how you use what you have. It's about the decisions you have for gameplay - research, diplomacy, infrastructure. Ships are just the combat element, it could be any unit really like a robot in Supreme Commander.

Warlords, by in large, was a combat simulator... take some amount of ships and throw them at each other and see what happens. It wasn't balanced to any sort of gameplay to introduce strategy by limiting elements. At best, we could try multiplayer maps with some control elements... but HW2 scripting isn't particularly easy - otherwise it would have been done already.

We obviously have different values in our games. You want ship-to-ship tactical battles: Homeworld 2 is great. If you want epic, controlling the galaxy gameplay.. Sins is better for that.

Different games for different styles. Really the move to Sins was never about a better or worse game. But what gameplay we are interested in.

If you're that serious about Warlords, I'm certain you could start modding it yourself. It's all in the existing mod files

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.